or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 143

post #2131 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

The text that is on there now is waayyy too dark.  Otherwise, a very, very seductive image.  Also, if I may suggest something that will look bad ass... maybe darken the left side of the garage as well, and then throw down some lighting (like some kind of starlight that has no real source - it's just there) on Eleanor.  Feel free to email the file if you like, and I'll take a crack at it.  smile.gif


Actually, I'm not that into her.... smile.gif   You should PM TwinQY (http://www.head-fi.org/u/275867/twinqy).  It's actually his avatar and I was just borrowing it for a day.  I'd be willing to bet that he's got all kinds of pics of her, including ones without glasses, and possibly with headphones on.  Cheers!
There is a picture of her wearing the B and O headphones....
post #2132 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Add one (almost two) to the wife's little car collection:



1968 Mini Cooper S. Look how clean that is, now look at the odo and check the mileage. No, that's not a typo. The car was bought by Mel Blanc (what's up doc?) and imported to the US, where it sat in his small car museum. It was run regularly, just not driven. Lately they replaced/repaired what had moldered with age and it's "New" again. In fact, it was always New, because it was never titled and registered, having been sold and imported on a bill of sale. We're going to loan it to a local car museum, after we have our fun and "Looney Tune" it up with some large Bugs and Elmer removable vinyl decals (Barber of Seville or Die Walküre theme, we've not decided yet), as an homage to the legend. We tried to get another of the cars, a `58 Nash Metro 1500, but the price went too high (much rarer car).




Edited by Magick Man - 3/8/13 at 7:29pm
post #2133 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Agree with warren on the text, can't quite visualize the lighting though, but I'd darken the garage door certainly. Otherwise very nice board. cool.gif

And yeah, that's a little rich for Cat6 (Monoprice wants $110 for the same box), still beats $300 for a single patch cable! tongue.gif

True that. Monoprice is where we buy all of our cabling, even the shielded Cat 6 is only $150.

Yeah, the lettering will be brighter for the billboard, if we use the image, but it looks better as a desktop with the more muted colors, I think. Not sure about the light, with our name and number it's already going to be pretty "busy".
post #2134 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

can't quite visualize the lighting though, but I'd darken the garage door certainly. Otherwise very nice board. cool.gif

Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Not sure about the light, with our name and number it's already going to be pretty "busy".

 

Yeah, nevermind that.  I just tried it, and it didn't look as good as I'd hoped.


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

Reply
post #2135 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Updates, updates.

Raise your hand if you believe that Lamborghini has solid engineering at the core of their development philosophy. Yeah, you guessed it, that's crap. Having the body and the rest of the Aventador finally sorted. (Which involved upgrading the suspension, brake calipers, and driveshafts. No I'm not kidding.) We began tearing down the engine and transmission, which like the Countach was relatively painless, only to find out that cylinder compression is off, relative to each bank, by as much as 10%. No, I'm not joking, 10%. That is apparently within their tolerance margin. Before throwing stones, however, I was informed that that is still better than most mass-produced power plants. The 458 was much better, ~3x better. That's likely why Lambo needs a 6L V12 to make 700hp, while other makers can do the same, and much more, with a smaller V8. What? You expect high quality in a $400,000 car? Hah!

So, we're doing it right; rebuilding, replacing what's questionable (which is a lot), and testing each step of the way. We don't have a benchmark horsepower target, we're simply going to see what we end up with, after we're comfortable with how it's built. With that we're ditching the generic supercharger idea and going with a low-boost, bi-turbo system (Heffner has already built the same for a past customer, so we aren't flying blind). Not only providing "more power!", without appreciable lag, but also improving efficiency and emissions.

Let's see... next weekend I'm having 6 lifts installed for extra car storage, and I'm planning for the garage expansion this Spring, adding another 2400sq/ft. The building is designed to be expanded, on the back side the wall disconnects and you can add another "module", all without being visible from the front. This way I can actually keep all my cars at home, rather than leave some of them at work. I mentioned the Mini, which is extremely cool, and we'll soon be able to have midget car racing. Also I bought a 2005 Mercedes SLR McLaren at a great price. Yeah, I know, but it has that fantastic sound and awesome doors... rolleyes.gif My wife said that I need an intervention, but my male friends threatened her with harsh language if she interferes, so there's that. As long as we're doing well, and it doesn't interfere with actual living, I'm just going to keep collecting.

I make no excuses, it appeals to my inner 9 y/o.






We did a minor tuning with Eleanor too, which didn't amount to much, but through Torque Pro I did find out that under normal driving I get almost 16MPG. That's really not as awful as I feared.
Edited by Magick Man - 3/9/13 at 7:44pm
post #2136 of 9498
SLR McLaren - finally. tongue.gif

Was going to suggest that as your "event car" too, but figured you'd shoot it down for being "too modern" tongue.gif.
post #2137 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

SLR McLaren - finally. tongue.gif

 

+1  Yes, I know that it's completely juvenile because it's a dagger/penis combo on wheels... but dayam, it's a dagger/penis combo on wheels!

 

Also, regarding the title change, I'd like to provide a translation if I may. 

 

"You need an intervention"

 

   -means-

 

"I'm keeping my cool for the moment, and I love you honey.  But the next thing you bring home with wheels on it is gonna make me go absolutely ape schiit.  So if you don't want to see that happen, then you need to chill for a bit.  And don't even think about playing dumb about me being unhappy with the next thing, because I just effing warned you."


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

Reply
post #2138 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

We did a minor tuning with Eleanor too, which didn't amount to much, but through Torque Pro I did find out that under normal driving I get almost 16MPG. That's really not as awful as I feared.

SLR McLaren is a more than worthy addition to the stable IMO. 

 

So, what exactly is normal driving in the Eleanor....do you shift about 1,500 RPM? lol

post #2139 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Let's see... next weekend I'm having 6 lifts installed for extra car storage, and I'm planning for the garage expansion this Spring, adding another 2400sq/ft. The building is designed to be expanded, on the back side the wall disconnects and you can add another "module", all without being visible from the front. This way I can actually keep all my cars at home, rather than leave some of them at work. I mentioned the Mini, which is extremely cool, and we'll soon be able to have midget car racing. Also I bought a 2005 Mercedes SLR McLaren at a great price. Yeah, I know, but it has that fantastic sound and awesome doors... rolleyes.gif My wife said that I need an intervention, but my male friends threatened her with harsh language if she interferes, so there's that. As long as we're doing well, and it doesn't interfere with actual living, I'm just going to keep collecting.

I make no excuses, it appeals to my inner 9 y/o.




 

Oh man, an SLR. I don't really see those any more, let alone talk. I guess with the more popular and much well received SLS, the SLR is a bit of a forgotten child.

Tell me, is it true that the brakes from the SLR are horrible for daily use? You know, a bit like an on off switch.

post #2140 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

Oh man, an SLR. I don't really see those any more, let alone talk. I guess with the more popular and much well received SLS, the SLR is a bit of a forgotten child.

Tell me, is it true that the brakes from the SLR are horrible for daily use? You know, a bit like an on off switch.

 

It's funny, I see the same one pretty often not too far away from my place... It looks cool but I don't like the sound it produces.

 

I've always been very intrigued by the Stirling moss edition :

 


Edited by customcoco - 3/10/13 at 9:26am
post #2141 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

Oh man, an SLR. I don't really see those any more, let alone talk. I guess with the more popular and much well received SLS, the SLR is a bit of a forgotten child.
Tell me, is it true that the brakes from the SLR are horrible for daily use? You know, a bit like an on off switch.

Haven't gotten it yet, so I have no idea. The brakes are carbon ceramic, so they're notorious for needing heat in them to work well. Not a huge deal, I can swap the disks for steel if they're too much of a problem.
post #2142 of 9498
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

SLR McLaren - finally. tongue.gif

Was going to suggest that as your "event car" too, but figured you'd shoot it down for being "too modern" tongue.gif.

Nah, it's always been on my list, I'd just been waiting to find one that had very low miles (this one has ~120), for <200k (I paid 200k + fees). Remember, these were $450k new, and I'm fairly confident they aren't going to drop any further, considering their rarity. I don't believe a person can build a "premier" sports car collection without one, TBH. Anyone can just buy whatever is out there, but the fun is in looking for the right car, as cheaply as possible. I prefer a private sale, so I can haggle, but sometimes an auction can be good too. While it's true that I've impulse bought some cars, I still haven't been burned yet. *knock on wood*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

+1  Yes, I know that it's completely juvenile because it's a dagger/penis combo on wheels... but dayam, it's a dagger/penis combo on wheels!

Also, regarding the title change, I'd like to provide a translation if I may. 

"You need an intervention"

   -means-

"I'm keeping my cool for the moment, and I love you honey.  But the next thing you bring home with wheels on it is gonna make me go absolutely ape schiit.  So if you don't want to see that happen, then you need to chill for a bit.  And don't even think about playing dumb about me being unhappy with the next thing, because I just effing warned you."

Ah, but see, I made sure she got something that interested her too. Building her collection of little cars keeps her involved, and they take up a very small amount of space. This Spring she'll have all kinds of tiny cars to run around the neighborhood in. There's a guy in Clarksville who owns a blue and white `57 BMW Isetta that's fully restored and I've been haggling with him, so we may be getting another one of those, too. She did some research and she very much wants a Fiat 500 Topolino, but I can't find any for sale in the USA. However, I can have this 1941 (100% restored), imported from Poland for 25k shipped. I think that's going to be her Bday present. IMO, it's da bomb.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

SLR McLaren is a more than worthy addition to the stable IMO. 

So, what exactly is normal driving in the Eleanor....do you shift about 1,500 RPM? lol

Just normal driving; shift @4500, no burnouts, no super-fast acceleration, etc.. It's actually really hard to do, because the car wants to be driven hard and can break traction in any gear (it has aftermarket traction control, but that can be turned off), since it has so much torque. One thing that helps in economy is having EFI, but if I keep my foot in it, the change is shocking and I get ~4-5 MPG (or worse).
Edited by Magick Man - 3/10/13 at 12:14pm
post #2143 of 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



Just normal driving; shift @4500, no burnouts, no super-fast acceleration, etc.. It's actually really hard to do, because the car wants to be driven hard and can break traction in any gear (it has aftermarket traction control, but that can be turned off), since it has so much torque. One thing that helps in economy is having EFI, but if I keep my foot in it, the change is shocking and I get ~4-5 MPG (or worse).

If you are cruising along at 70mph on the highway, and you engage the overdrive, what kind of RPM are you turning? And how big a drop occurs when you engage that overdrive from the normal fifth gear?

post #2144 of 9498
Thread Starter 
@70mph? ~1700 RPMs in OD. The drop from 5th to OD is around 300 RPMs. It isn't massive, but it makes a difference in economy.
post #2145 of 9498

Some beautiful additions to your car collection, MM! 

 

On another note, did you ever receive your HD 800?

 

smily_headphones1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!