Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 128

post #1906 of 7475
I would be interested to know if the seamless panels are actually seamless. I would think that would be very difficult to achieve in a movie theater. Doing it at a trade show is different because you aren't typically sitting there for 2 hours staring at the seams.

If it were me, and I was going to spend that kind of coin, I would just go all the way and build a theater room with lighting control, acoustic room treatments, theater seating and a 4K projector with an anamorphic lens. Oh - and don't forget the seat shakers and smell-o-vision!
post #1907 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would be interested to know if the seamless panels are actually seamless. I would think that would be very difficult to achieve in a movie theater. Doing it at a trade show is different because you aren't typically sitting there for 2 hours staring at the seams.

If it were me, and I was going to spend that kind of coin, I would just go all the way and build a theater room with lighting control, acoustic room treatments, theater seating and a 4K projector with an anamorphic lens. Oh - and don't forget the seat shakers and smell-o-vision!

You forgot the popcorn and Icee machines. cool.gif

Personally I wouldn't go with 4k though - you'll compromise basically all legacy content, and spend a bucket of cash just to be "first."
post #1908 of 7475
Really? I had read somewhere that the upscaling from 1080P to 4K was very good.
post #1909 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Really? I had read somewhere that the upscaling from 1080P to 4K was very good.

I'm a big proponent of native playback, and 1080p isn't the only content out there. There's a lot of a lot that only exists in 480i or 480p (and I'm also not a fan of re-buying everything just because some new whizbang format comes out).

You'll never "improve" the quality of video by heavily post-processing it - the best you can do is prevent it from looking disgusting. And given the cluster***k that "original" HDTV was (wrt AR, color sampling, etc), *more* conversion isn't the answer. Of course this goes against the bulk majority of advertising and trade rags that will whine about how high resolution is manna from heaven, but they gotta do something to move units. rolleyes.gif
post #1910 of 7475
Thread Starter 
I think he means scaling 480i to 4K, which could obviously be... problematic.

FP was something I ventured into before, and I didn't like having to dim the lights and put up with the typical projector nonsense just to watch a little TV.
Quote:
I would be interested to know if the seamless panels are actually seamless.

Agreed, which is why I put it in quotes. I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, there's the 110" Samsung LED-LCD that's been claimed doesn't exist outside of demos, but you can still buy.
post #1911 of 7475
OK - yeah - you are right - and I agree - I hate stretched content. There isn't any magic processing that is going to make 480i content look good on a huge theater screen. I would probably add that 480i with absolutely no upscaling will *also* suck on a big theater screen, so we're probably just looking for the lesser of two evils.
post #1912 of 7475

The new top gear episode is a massive Kia ad....

post #1913 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I think he means scaling 480i to 4K, which could obviously be... problematic.

Problematic would be a polite way of putting it.
Quote:
FP was something I ventured into before, and I didn't like having to dim the lights and put up with the typical projector nonsense just to watch a little TV.
Agreed, which is why I put it in quotes. I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, there's the 110" Samsung LED-LCD that's been claimed doesn't exist outside of demos, but you can still buy.

Sony and Sharp have 70-80" LCDs, I've yet to see an example that doesn't have uniformity problems. They also cost *a lot* for what they are.

I've seen the Samsung LFD walls before, even the "bezel-less" stuff they parade around with AMD is like watching through a fence.

As far as FP goes - projectors have improved a lot in the last decade, as has automation - setting up a Lutron or similar control scheme for the room's lighting + the PJ isn't the sole domain of million dollar rooms now. I'd honestly encourage you to check it out. That said, I agree with your point regarding watching TV, and my take would be to integrate a conventional television for non-cinema viewing (if you want to get super ritzy, go with a nice LCD and some motion furniture, fully automated setup - it'll switch displays on command, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

OK - yeah - you are right - and I agree - I hate stretched content. There isn't any magic processing that is going to make 480i content look good on a huge theater screen. I would probably add that 480i with absolutely no upscaling will *also* suck on a big theater screen, so we're probably just looking for the lesser of two evils.

480i on a native screen will look fine up to a point (distance/size/luminence/etc define context) assuming fidelity is there to begin with. It's relative though - advertisers have done a great job in the last few years of obfuscating all of that and just focusing in on resolution (just like amplifiers only being marketed based on wattage).

If we're talking about a legitimate movie theater though, even 1080p can look bad.
post #1914 of 7475
Thread Starter 
FS: `86 Countach 5000Q w/ all factory Alpine options. Gee, that's pretty. eek.gif


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
post #1915 of 7475
Remember the TG episode where James finally drives a Countach - his boyhood dream car? I think his conclusion was that we shouldn't drive our boyhood dream cars... wink.gif
post #1916 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Remember the TG episode where James finally drives a Countach - his boyhood dream car? I think his conclusion was that we shouldn't drive our boyhood dream cars... wink.gif

Yes, however, that was an ancient LP400, they improved them greatly by the end of the model run. That one is the last carbureted model, before they went with the often maligned Bosch EFI system, which killed their horsepower. The one above has issues, though; blown seal, bad water pump, several damaged valves (because the chucklehead ran it for "a few" miles while the oil was low), and nonworking AC. Cosmetically it's almost perfect, however, and has only 13k miles on it. $75k.
post #1917 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

FS: `86 Countach 5000Q w/ all factory Alpine options. Gee, that's pretty. eek.gif


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I had several pictures of that car on my walls when I was growing up. smile.gif

post #1918 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yes, however, that was an ancient LP400, they improved them greatly by the end of the model run. That one is the last carbureted model, before they went with the often maligned Bosch EFI system, which killed their horsepower. The one above has issues, though; blown seal, bad water pump, several damaged valves (because the chucklehead ran it for "a few" miles while the oil was low), and nonworking AC. Cosmetically it's almost perfect, however, and has only 13k miles on it. $75k.

Sorry but I don't think that damage is from "a few" ph34r.gif.
post #1919 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I had several pictures of that car on my walls when I was growing up. smile.gif

Me too, it was one of those huge posters ~5' wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Sorry but I don't think that damage is from "a few" ph34r.gif.

I dunno, Italian engineering wasn't very "scientific" back then. It was more like French cooking. biggrin.gif
post #1920 of 7475
I remember having a huge argument with a guy in my college dorms about whether the Countach or the Vector was the better car. Of course, this was when there was exactly *one* running Vector prototype, compared to the Countach that had been in production for several years and was a real car. Just goes to show you that fanbois predated the internet. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!