Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 110

post #1636 of 7376
Thread Starter 
I was shaking badly, and I'm still wigged out a little. Not to mention the crap I caught when I got back home. "You think you're Batman or something? Was I supposed to tell our daughter, 'Oh well, papa thought he'd be a hero, now you'll never know him'?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Also, EBT isn't the same as a credit card. That's a welfare card - and the rules for what can/can't be bought with an EBT card are very well known by those that use them. There appear to be two types of cards, a food card and a cash card. You can't buy cigarettes with a food card, but you can with a cash card (except in Washington state). If that was a cash card, and the guy didn't start wailing on the poor clerk, he could have filed a complaint:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/n-h-cashier-fired-refusing-sell-cigarettes-welfare-recipient-article-1.1104402

On the other hand, if that was a food card, then he was trying to get the clerk to commit welfare fraud - and in addition to heading to jail for A&B, he could also find himself in big trouble with the state.

Golly, he might actually need to get... *gasp* ... a job!

That's the thing, the store didn't take cards of any kind, it's cash only. confused.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 1/16/13 at 9:34pm
post #1637 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I was shaking badly, and I'm still wigged out a little. Not to mention the crap I caught when I got back home. "You think you're Batman or something? Was I supposed to tell our daughter, 'Oh well, papa thought he'd be a hero, now you'll never know him'?"

 

I doubt anyone has the time to think about all this in these moments, its fight or flight.

But you sure as heck have an awesome story to tell to your children/grandchildren! redface.gif

post #1638 of 7376
Oh - if they don't take EBT cards at all, that's fine. The store would only get in trouble in they take EBT cash cards, but they refused to let him buy smokes on the EBT cash card. A store doesn't have to take EBT at all - but if they do, they need to follow the rules.

Yeah - she's right of course, but based on that logic, we would have no firemen, policemen or soldiers. Here's another way to look at it: Would you want to come home and tell your daughter that you watched a guy get his face beat-in and you just stood by and watched it happen?

Or - your wife is a LOTR fan, right? WWFD? (What would Frodo do?) He would have pulled Sting and given that goblin an enema of Elvin steel!
post #1639 of 7376
Thread Starter 
Yep, no CCs, no EBT, it's completely cash only at that store, it's a discount tobacco place and one of the ways they cut prices is by not paying card fees. I go there because it's only 2 miles from the house.

If I were healthy I doubt she would say anything, I'm not a tiny fella (remember, I used to bench 425lbs). With the health issues, it's a much greater risk and I'm a lot more brittle. Right now I'm really feeling it in the ankle of the leg I kicked him with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

I doubt anyone has the time to think about all this in these moments, its fight or flight.
But you sure as heck have an awesome story to tell to your children/grandchildren! redface.gif

Oh, this isn't much, at family reunions (300-400 people) 2-3 fights break out, with cuts, scrapes, and broken bones. And that's just the chicks. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 1/16/13 at 10:12pm
post #1640 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

On the other hand, if that was a food card, then he was trying to get the clerk to commit welfare fraud - and in addition to heading to jail for A&B, he could also find himself in big trouble with the state.

Golly, he might actually need to get... *gasp* ... a job!

Careful, he might attack you for violating his right to (not) work. tongue.gif

No but seriously, I've never understood (and I know this is probably a logical fallacy) why these kinds of things seem to compound - so it isn't JUST random assault, it's a lot deeper and more elaborate (and I'm sure the guy's story is really very sad, but we've all probably heard it a thousand times before which dulls it). Am I the only one who feels like this would be less of a problem if it was just a random, isolated act of violence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I was shaking badly, and I'm still wigged out a little. Not to mention the crap I caught when I got back home. "You think you're Batman or something?

And you should've just gotten into your Batman looking black car and done the whole "I am the night" thing - hahahaha. Sure, something *could* have gone horribly wrong, but nothing *did* - I think you came out okay. In the future though I wouldn't roll the dice like that; Ferraris still have tire irons right? very_evil_smiley.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Oh - if they don't take EBT cards at all, that's fine. The store would only get in trouble in they take EBT cash cards, but they refused to let him buy smokes on the EBT cash card. A store doesn't have to take EBT at all - but if they do, they need to follow the rules.

Seriously. It's like, there's a supermarket near me that just opened (about a year ago actually), and they aren't WIC authorized (I don't know what goes into a supermarket being WIC authorized, other stores in the same chain (in the same area) *are* authorized, but this one isn't) - I know this because they put up signs on all of the entry doors that apologize for the inconvenience and even will give you directions to a sister store that can process WIC. AND YET, I've seen a number of customers throw a tantrum to the clerks for not taking WIC - I don't get it. It's not like the store is trying to harm anyone, but that's usually what you hear being screamed out "you're trying to starve us!" and things like that. Is this just laziness that people don't want to bother to read? Or what?
Quote:
Yeah - she's right of course, but based on that logic, we would have no firemen, policemen or soldiers. Here's another way to look at it: Would you want to come home and tell your daughter that you watched a guy get his face beat-in and you just stood by and watched it happen?

And yeah, seriously speaking, she is. It's a crappy situation overall - on one hand do you want to tell/teach the kid about vigilantism (and the associated burden), on the other non-involvement. It's a tough line. I don't think there's a good answer either.
Quote:
Or - your wife is a LOTR fan, right? WWFD? (What would Frodo do?) He would have pulled Sting and given that goblin an enema of Elvin steel!

I lol'd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yep, no CCs, no EBT, it's completely cash only at that store, it's a discount tobacco place and one of the ways they cut prices is by not paying card fees. I go there because it's only 2 miles from the house.

And I'm sure they have signage because the workers get sick of repeating that policy and explanation to everyone who wants to pay with Visa.
Quote:
If I were healthy I doubt she would say anything, I'm not a tiny fella (remember, I used to bench 425lbs). With the health issues, it's a much greater risk and I'm a lot more brittle. Right now I'm really feeling it in the ankle of the leg I kicked him with.
Oh, this isn't much, at family reunions (300-400 people) 2-3 fights break out, with cuts, scrapes, and broken bones. And that's just the chicks. smily_headphones1.gif

LOL "and that's just the chicks" - I don't think "reunion" is the right word there, I think "hootenanny" is more appropriate. tongue.gif
post #1641 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Seriously. It's like, there's a supermarket near me that just opened (about a year ago actually), and they aren't WIC authorized (I don't know what goes into a supermarket being WIC authorized, other stores in the same chain (in the same area) *are* authorized, but this one isn't) - I know this because they put up signs on all of the entry doors that apologize for the inconvenience and even will give you directions to a sister store that can process WIC. AND YET, I've seen a number of customers throw a tantrum to the clerks for not taking WIC - I don't get it. It's not like the store is trying to harm anyone, but that's usually what you hear being screamed out "you're trying to starve us!" and things like that. Is this just laziness that people don't want to bother to read? Or what?

 

"You're trying to starve me". 

Thats exactly the same thing I said to the clerk at my local supermarket, after they forced me to use the self checkout machine because the queues at the other counters were too long. 

 

I was terribly hungry, was thinking about all the food I'd just purchased, and the though of gorging on it once I get back home.

But the machines are incredibly stupid, and with so many options and directions it takes twice as long. 


Edited by proton007 - 1/17/13 at 12:31am
post #1642 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

"You're trying to starve me". 
Thats exactly the same thing I said to the clerk at my local supermarket, after they forced me to use the self checkout machine because the queues at the other counters were too long. 

I was terribly hungry, was thinking about all the food I'd just purchased, and the though of gorging on it once I get back home.
But the machines are incredibly stupid, and with so many options and directions it takes twice as long. 

Those auto-checkout machines are awful. I could totally get behind someone assaulting one of those, lol.
post #1643 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Those auto-checkout machines are awful. I could totally get behind someone assaulting one of those, lol.


The best part is, they're not fully auto either. Usually they need a couple of people to help and guide the customers through the process, and they often end up doing it themselves for the customer.

Those two people can checkout stuff manually at probably the same rate as 5 self-checkout machines. Why spend the extra cash on the machines?

 

Not to mention, the machines don't organize stuff for you the way store clerks can...tongue.gif

post #1644 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


The best part is, they're not fully auto either. Usually they need a couple of people to help and guide the customers through the process, and they often end up doing it themselves for the customer.
Those two people can checkout stuff manually at probably the same rate as 5 self-checkout machines. Why spend the extra cash on the machines?

Not to mention, the machines don't organize stuff for you the way store clerks can...tongue.gif

Yeah, but the management probably doesn't ever see that - they see that they're putting in 20 new registers and only having one person man them, which improves the bottom line. The fact that it takes 3x as long to go through, and is a total nightmare if you're buying a full buggy of groceries (or, if you're a glutton for punishment - going to Home Depot and buying a lot of stuff there) is probably never addressed (given that most stores seem to be increasing these to phase out conventional checker lines).

I don't know, vending machines are a nice thing in some cases - I'd rather buy a soda from a vending machine than a clerk simply because it's faster, just like automated fuel pumps, but there's other things that really should have a person's touch. Or, if that isn't acceptable, AI needs to be advanced to the point where it can handle this kind of thing (but not to where it will take over the world).
post #1645 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Yeah, but the management probably doesn't ever see that - they see that they're putting in 20 new registers and only having one person man them, which improves the bottom line. The fact that it takes 3x as long to go through, and is a total nightmare if you're buying a full buggy of groceries (or, if you're a glutton for punishment - going to Home Depot and buying a lot of stuff there) is probably never addressed (given that most stores seem to be increasing these to phase out conventional checker lines).

I don't know, vending machines are a nice thing in some cases - I'd rather buy a soda from a vending machine than a clerk simply because it's faster, just like automated fuel pumps, but there's other things that really should have a person's touch. Or, if that isn't acceptable, AI needs to be advanced to the point where it can handle this kind of thing (but not to where it will take over the world).


Agree on both points.

And I had the same experience at home depot. There were 3 of us, and we still couldn't figure the thing out.

 

Regarding the AI part, I feel the problem is that it involves part human interface, and part object interface. Conveying information to people (who take varying amounts of time to process it) and then interacting with objects (It would be incredibly easy if all the stuff was in rectangular boxes, but the varied shapes and sizes make it a hard problem to solve).

post #1646 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Agree on both points.
And I had the same experience at home depot. There were 3 of us, and we still couldn't figure the thing out.

Regarding the AI part, I feel the problem is that it involves part human interface, and part object interface. Conveying information to people (who take varying amounts of time to process it) and then interacting with objects (It would be incredibly easy if all the stuff was in rectangular boxes, but the varied shapes and sizes make it a hard problem to solve).

I remember seeing a tour of Newegg's automated sort facility which actually accomplishes this correctly - but yeah, the items are stored in standardized bins and there's no human customers to address. I think there's a Science Channel documentary on a larger VW factory that uses the same kind of system that's quite interesting too.

But yeah, I think you're spot-on with the AI problem - it's a very complex problem for a computer to solve.
post #1647 of 7376
Thread Starter 
It's all tied in with the overall sense of tension prevailing in society. People are angrier, greedier, less patient, less helpful, more self-centered... I don't know if it's the economy, but I feel it's discontent with what they've become. Like they were raised thinking they're royalty, but found out that things aren't as glossy as they were led to believe.
post #1648 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

It's all tied in with the overall sense of tension prevailing in society. People are angrier, greedier, less patient, less helpful, more self-centered...

*sigh* I'd have to agree. It's just sad though. I notice the angriness and lack of patience most prevalently - just in my daily commute I notice people getting incredibly pushy and belligerent just to get to the same red lights faster, get on the same train faster, etc. It's like they're all worked up for some big "gotcha" to happen, and that "gotcha" isn't coming. I don't get it - I really don't. It's exhausting to go around pissed off all the time. ph34r.gif
post #1649 of 7376
Thread Starter 
I don't know how Currawong keeps from mashing folks into a paste. There are some really annoying nutters around here, me included (probably).
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

*sigh* I'd have to agree. It's just sad though. I notice the angriness and lack of patience most prevalently - just in my daily commute I notice people getting incredibly pushy and belligerent just to get to the same red lights faster, get on the same train faster, etc. It's like they're all worked up for some big "gotcha" to happen, and that "gotcha" isn't coming. I don't get it - I really don't. It's exhausting to go around pissed off all the time. ph34r.gif

Indeed. You should see the angry glares when I stop for gas sometimes. You'd think I parked on their foot.
Edited by Magick Man - 1/17/13 at 5:39am
post #1650 of 7376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I don't know how Currawong keeps from mashing folks into a paste. There are some really annoying nutters around here, me included (probably).

Aye.
Quote:
Indeed. You should see the angry glares when I stop for gas sometimes. You'd think I parked on their foot.

Yeah...I get those glares sometimes too. Or obnoxious questions...rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!