Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 105

post #1561 of 9207
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Never heard of BDP-105 - how is it different from BDP-95?

And with SyFy, one or two of their miniseries have been okay, and I liked Riverworld a lot, but by and large - blegh.

Newer DAC, 3D support (meh), and 4k up-scaling, mostly. The new Mits DLPs coming out are promising 4k support.

I've intended to watch Riverworld but always missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Is this the original GT or the newer one?

The newer, not the GT40. GT40s are like national treasures and almost never seen anymore. The Heffner GTs haven't caught a lot of attention yet, but they will in the next decade, like the Moslers and Dauer 962 LMs.
post #1562 of 9207
962 LM - mmmmm.

And basically nothing about the 105 makes me go "oooh" then. redface.gif

Riverworld is good, but I'll foreworn you - it's *long*. Like three hours long. I couldn't imagine it with commercial breaks - but you can grab it on DVD:
http://www.amazon.com/Riverworld-Tahmoh-Penikett/dp/B0039PGH9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358135307&sr=8-2&keywords=riverworld
post #1563 of 9207
Thread Starter 
I'll put it in the queue and catch it streamed tomorrow evening, Monday is our "oddball" movie night. wink.gif I usually get subjected to obscure French or German comedies.


Yeah, the Dauer 962 LM is an animal, fastest street legal car in the world for 12 years, plush inside too. Unfortunately, the dingleberry of Brunei owns most of them, so few other people ever will. mad.gif




No, nothing really special about the BDP-105 over the BDP-95, but I needed a player for the other system, so I moved the BDP-93 over there and got the 105 for the main rig.
post #1564 of 9207
Riverworld is another one of those cases where I had really liked all the books (Philip Jose Farmer) and so (of course) I was very disappointed in the TV show. Read (or listen to) the books! wink.gif

One of these days I would like to get an Oppo BD player. It is most definitely on my list. Assuming you have a 4K display, how do you get the 4K signal from the player to the device? Does HDMI handle 4K, or does it need something new?
post #1565 of 9207
Thread Starter 
The newest HDMI revision handles 4k.

I read the Riverworld series long, long ago, in HS. Unfortunately, my memory of them is foggy, because back then I was reading 2 books /day. I'm a slacker and only read 3/wk now.
post #1566 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I'll put it in the queue and catch it streamed tomorrow evening, Monday is our "oddball" movie night. wink.gif I usually get subjected to obscure French or German comedies.

Yeah. Again, just remember, we're talking ROTK length here - lol.
Quote:
No, nothing really special about the BDP-105 over the BDP-95, but I needed a player for the other system, so I moved the BDP-93 over there and got the 105 for the main rig.

Yeah I could see that - I mean if you were buying something new why not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

One of these days I would like to get an Oppo BD player. It is most definitely on my list. Assuming you have a 4K display, how do you get the 4K signal from the player to the device? Does HDMI handle 4K, or does it need something new?

Newer HDMI (1.4) supports 4k at 24-30hz - HDMI 2.0 is coming to provide 4k60p. Yet another "buy new TVs because we said so" round of BS.

While I think Oppo has some nice looking players, I'm kind of disappointed that Pioneer and Yamaha didn't continue with BD like I'd hoped. Their initial players were absolutely fantastic. Also kind of bummed that Sony didn't continue with Disc Explorer for BD (they released two generations, and then just abruptly stopped).
Edited by obobskivich - 1/13/13 at 9:32pm
post #1567 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Newer HDMI (1.4) supports 4k at 24-30hz - HDMI 2.0 is coming to provide 4k60p. Yet another "buy new TVs because we said so" round of BS.


HDMI sucks in terms of the marketing. The manufacturers never mention what resolution the display hardware supports, and there are multiple versions floating around in the market.

Happened with one of my monitors, I got the cable for 30 bucks, only to realize the monitor's HDMI support is only 1080p, while the monitor itself is 1440p. angry_face.gif 

The graphics card happily supports 4096x2160 though.cool.gif

post #1568 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


HDMI sucks in terms of the marketing. The manufacturers never mention what resolution the display hardware supports, and there are multiple versions floating around in the market.
Happened with one of my monitors, I got the cable for 30 bucks, only to realize the monitor's HDMI support is only 1080p, while the monitor itself is 1440p. angry_face.gif  
The graphics card happily supports 4096x2160 though.cool.gif

Most PC monitors only do upto 1080p via HDMI, "1440p" is not a standard for video - HDMI video modes is a shortlist compared to everything DVI and VGA are required/able to support; the monitor isn't actually doing anything non-standard. As far as multiple versions - yes, they've revised it over time, but I've never seen a device vaguely labeled (in other words I've never had a problem finding out of a device is HDMI 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever - it's usually stated in the manual).
post #1569 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Most PC monitors only do upto 1080p via HDMI, "1440p" is not a standard for video - HDMI video modes is a shortlist compared to everything DVI and VGA are required/able to support; the monitor isn't actually doing anything non-standard. As far as multiple versions - yes, they've revised it over time, but I've never seen a device vaguely labeled (in other words I've never had a problem finding out of a device is HDMI 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever - it's usually stated in the manual).


For a 1080p tv/monitor it makes sense.

For a 1440p monitor, it doesn't really make sense to support 1080p, either do it fully or don't.

 

I ended up using the hdmi for another monitor, but had to buy an adaptor from hdmi -> dvi. Turns out hdmi is just a subset of dvi, along with audio.

 

700


Edited by proton007 - 1/13/13 at 10:35pm
post #1570 of 9207
There is an annoying number of terms involved. For example, "high speed" hdmi cables. Really? "high speed"?? Didn't they learn *anything* from USB?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, these are the following cable types defined for HDMI in general:
  • Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
  • Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
  • Automotive HDMI Cable
  • High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K, 3D and deep color
  • High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

I suppose the standards committees do the best they can - but in the end, they are still "committees" - and the results are always full of compromises and special interests.
post #1571 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

There is an annoying number of terms involved. For example, "high speed" hdmi cables. Really? "high speed"?? Didn't they learn *anything* from USB?

From Wikipedia:
I suppose the standards committees do the best they can - but in the end, they are still "committees" - and the results are always full of compromises and special interests.


Not to mention, the different standards support different frame rates, based on the spec.

post #1572 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


For a 1080p tv/monitor it makes sense.
For a 1440p monitor, it doesn't really make sense to support 1080p, either do it fully or don't.

I ended up using the hdmi for another monitor, but had to buy an adaptor from hdmi -> dvi. Turns out hdmi is just a subset of dvi, along with audio.

700

No it makes perfect sense - 1440p is not part of the HDMI standard, TVs and Blu-ray players and so on don't support it, don't have to support it, etc. The HDMI connection on the monitor is assumed to support a Blu-ray player or similar, not to replace DVI (and HDMI is not a "subset of DVI").
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Not to mention, the different standards support different frame rates, based on the spec.

Based on bandwidth*

Just like VGA and DVI and DP and so on.

Really I don't see what the problem is. I agree with billy that the "High Speed" labeling was kind of dumb, but usually I see the revisioning information stamped alongside that ("HDMI 1.4 High Speed" or something like that).
post #1573 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


No it makes perfect sense - 1440p is not part of the HDMI standard, TVs and Blu-ray players and so on don't support it, don't have to support it, etc. The HDMI connection on the monitor is assumed to support a Blu-ray player or similar, not to replace DVI (and HDMI is not a "subset of DVI").
 


Yeah, right. Blu-ray player, with a computer monitor, that doesn't have any sound.tongue.gif

Anyways, I put the cable to use, so the cable served a purpose atleast.

post #1574 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Yeah, right. Blu-ray player, with a computer monitor, that doesn't have any sound.tongue.gif

Okay wtf. I'm literally out of ideas to explain this insanity then - every monitor I've seen with HDMI is basically a tuner-less TV. redface.gif
Quote:
Anyways, I put the cable to use, so the cable served a purpose atleast.

Yeah. For $30 it better. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1575 of 9207
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Yeah. For $30 it better. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Not to mention the additional $20 for the converter, even though its backwards compatible....frustrating I tell you, and then, the whole combo was too big to fit in the limited space tvs/monitors have for connectors nowadays (this monitor only had dvi)

I was so angry I just chiseled off some of the plastic from the hdmi connector, and made it fit....

 

Anyways, sorry for the digression, back to cars and tv shows.

 

EDIT: Just read the news about Aaron Swartz. frown.gif


Edited by proton007 - 1/14/13 at 12:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!