Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 87

post #1291 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



Bugger... eek.gif

Remember what your wife said? 

post #1292 of 7312
Thread Starter 
No worries there. I'm not prepared to drop $1M on a vintage Fezza. Was a beauty, though.
post #1293 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

No worries there. I'm not prepared to drop $1M on a vintage Fezza. Was a beauty, though.


How much did you speak?
post #1294 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


How much did you speak?


1 Miiillion dollars

post #1295 of 7312
I'm assuming they have the documentation to prove that's a real GTS and not a GTB that had its top chopped?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/1971-ferrari-365-gts-4-daytona-spyder-ar129056.html

Only 122 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 were made!! The dream car at the absolute top of my list - even in that butt-ugly brown!!
post #1296 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Yeah, it's a real GTS, with only like 3k miles on it and complete documentation. Here's a link to the car in question. It's something else.


As for the Vanquish, frak, but that's an awesome car to drive now. eek.gif I'm very happy. The gear ratios, clutch feel (they adjusted it to my taste), very short-throw shifter, pedal positions, throttle response, everything, is on the money. All the way back it drove like a dream. It really hauls a** up to 100 now, where before it was a little pokey (for what it is). I did lose my cup holders, but some sacrifices must be made. wink.gif


Edited by Magick Man - 12/15/12 at 12:22am
post #1297 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

1 Miiillion dollars



Don't you think we should ask for *more* than a million dollars? A million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I'm assuming they have the documentation to prove that's a real GTS and not a GTB that had its top chopped?
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/1971-ferrari-365-gts-4-daytona-spyder-ar129056.html
Only 122 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 were made!! The dream car at the absolute top of my list - even in that butt-ugly brown!!

I actually liked the color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yeah, it's a real GTS, with only like 3k miles on it and complete documentation. Here's a link to the car in question. It's something else.
As for the Vanquish, frak, but that's an awesome car to drive now. eek.gif I'm very happy. The gear ratios, clutch feel (they adjusted it to my taste), very short-throw shifter, pedal positions, throttle response, everything, is on the money. All the way back it drove like a dream. It really hauls a** up to 100 now, where before it was a little pokey (for what it is). I did lose my cup holders, but some sacrifices must be made. wink.gif

I too drive a car with no cupholders. You could always get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-91100-Black-Holder/dp/B001DKRKGS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355549355&sr=8-5&keywords=cup+holders
post #1298 of 7312
In some ways that Daytona makes me sad. It's obviously been primarily a garage queen for most of its life. That makes it incredibly valuable - yet the car was MADE to be driven - and if it were 1973, I can't think of another car that I would rather have been driving.
post #1299 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

In some ways that Daytona makes me sad. It's obviously been primarily a garage queen for most of its life. That makes it incredibly valuable - yet the car was MADE to be driven - and if it were 1973, I can't think of another car that I would rather have been driving.

Aye. But what would you do if you wrecked it?
post #1300 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Aye. But what would you do if you wrecked it?

Seppuku. 

post #1301 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

In some ways that Daytona makes me sad. It's obviously been primarily a garage queen for most of its life. That makes it incredibly valuable - yet the car was MADE to be driven - and if it were 1973, I can't think of another car that I would rather have been driving.

This, all of it. It bothers me too. I don't own any garage queens (or $1M cars, for that matter), I drive all mine. Maybe some more than others, but you get what I'm saying. Most owners of rare cars only think of them as investments, because let's face it, the people buying them are wealthy investors. However, my stance is, and always will be, that the true beauty of them is in driving, not letting them rot in a garage. People gripe about Chris Evans driving his $16M Ferrari Cali SWB around the neighborhood on the weekends, risking it being damaged, but I say gods bless him for it. He's much more of a collector and enthusiast than the cowards in the hobby.

Although I won't be getting a GTS Daytona, I will have a GTB (and F40), and you can bet it'll be driven regularly.
post #1302 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Aye. But what would you do if you wrecked it?

Fix it. They so rare that a little resto work doesn't change their value much, if at all.

and yes to the cupholder thing... but, uh, maybe one a little more sturdy than that. wink.gif
post #1303 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Fix it. They so rare that a little resto work doesn't change their value much, if at all.
and yes to the cupholder thing... but, uh, maybe one a little more sturdy than that. wink.gif

God gave you a lap for a reason. tongue.gif

Seriously everything I'm finding on Amazon that is more robust is designed for hooking onto strollers or mic stands; and I'm doubting I'd have much better luck at Wally World or Checker. redface.gif

And yeah, I figure "fix it" is a reasonable response - I agree on the point about driving cars, not making them trailer queens. I'm thinking more of the "historic preservation" side - don't explicitly destroy something that isn't easily replaced, but then again, I'm reminded of our discussion on book burning and my Lincoln has seen it's share of yard tools and (once) an entire fridge loaded into to be carted around. At the end of the day they're just cars.

Since you mentioned Chris Evans (no idea who he was), I looked up the whole thing - and upon seeing a picture of what he paid millions and millions of dollars for, my response was more "really?" than "ooo purdy." I mean, if it gets him off, that's great, but really?
post #1304 of 7312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

God gave you a lap for a reason. tongue.gif
Seriously everything I'm finding on Amazon that is more robust is designed for hooking onto strollers or mic stands; and I'm doubting I'd have much better luck at Wally World or Checker. redface.gif
And yeah, I figure "fix it" is a reasonable response - I agree on the point about driving cars, not making them trailer queens. I'm thinking more of the "historic preservation" side - don't explicitly destroy something that isn't easily replaced, but then again, I'm reminded of our discussion on book burning and my Lincoln has seen it's share of yard tools and (once) an entire fridge loaded into to be carted around. At the end of the day they're just cars.
Since you mentioned Chris Evans (no idea who he was), I looked up the whole thing - and upon seeing a picture of what he paid millions and millions of dollars for, my response was more "really?" than "ooo purdy." I mean, if it gets him off, that's great, but really?

The car did belong to James Coburn, and is absolutely complete with no major restoration work. So, it's a special car among special cars, more valuable than most others of that model.

But I'd absolutely have to drive it too, it's just too beautiful to keep locked away.
Edited by Magick Man - 12/14/12 at 11:26pm
post #1305 of 7312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The car did belong to James Coburn, and is absolutely complete with no major restoration work. So, it's a special car among special cars, more valuable than most others of that model.

Still doing nothing for me. *shrug*

I mean I respect what you're saying, but it still does nothing for me. Now if we were talking about say, John Carmack's 512, that'd be different (at least to me). Different strokes and all that.
Quote:
But I'd absolutely have to drive it too, it's just too beautiful to keep locked away.

Oh I'd drive it too, but basically all I'm seeing there is a relatively understated and sophisticated looking drop-head. I think it's safe to say the cachet of that car is lost on me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!