Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 82

post #1216 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Gotta love the class warfare that has been fostered over the years.

 

This I honestly don't get.  When someone is doing well (without being an evil ass), I am genuinely happy for them.

 

And, in my experience, successful people are very willing to help others (like myself) up the ladder as well - if people only asked.  There is a wealth of mentoring possibilities in this area that are oft-ignored.

 

Instead, some people like to gripe and moan about what they don't have instead working harder/smarter to get there themselves.  Then they work up all this crazy resentment, and it just goes downhill from there.  What a shame...

post #1217 of 7475
All part of the psychology of entitlement. Good heavens, you don't expect people to actually need to put in effort, do you? That is simply silly. It takes no effort whatsoever to hold your hand out and say "gimme".

I'm straying into politics here - but I think people that work hard should be able to benefit from that hard work. Those that are not willing to work hard should expect nothing.
post #1218 of 7475
What I don't get - after reading magick's post - is why anyone would chop up a GT to make it sort-of look like a Ferrari. I mean no, the GT isn't the same, but they're headturners and roadburners in their own right, and there aren't too many of them out there to be hacking up willy-nilly. Seriously.

I mean this isn't like throwing the front casette from an Escalade on your GMC, or putting Audi badges on your VW. We're talking killing a beautiful car just to show everyone that you're a poser. Sheesh.
post #1219 of 7475
I don't get creating a copy of modern car. Creating a copy of an easily recognized classic, like the AC Cobra, Porsche Speedster or Ferarri Daytona makes sense - but let's face it - the unwashed masses can't tell the difference between the MP4-12C, Gallardo, 458, Veyron or Zonda. To most non-car people they all look like weird flying saucers.
post #1220 of 7475

Speaking of classics, I really think Magick should consider a Delta Integrale.  It won't resonate in his loins, but he'll have a blast driving it!
 

post #1221 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

All part of the psychology of entitlement. Good heavens, you don't expect people to actually need to put in effort, do you? That is simply silly. It takes no effort whatsoever to hold your hand out and say "gimme".
I'm straying into politics here - but I think people that work hard should be able to benefit from that hard work. Those that are not willing to work hard should expect nothing.

Nail > head. Although it's uncommon, I do get some hostile reactions at times, and mostly from the late teens/early 20s. It's just about always directed at the cars themselves, though the vast majority of the time people are enjoy looking at them and whipping out their phones for a quick pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

What I don't get - after reading magick's post - is why anyone would chop up a GT to make it sort-of look like a Ferrari. I mean no, the GT isn't the same, but they're headturners and roadburners in their own right, and there aren't too many of them out there to be hacking up willy-nilly. Seriously.
I mean this isn't like throwing the front casette from an Escalade on your GMC, or putting Audi badges on your VW. We're talking killing a beautiful car just to show everyone that you're a poser. Sheesh.

Not a real Ford GT, like I said, a kit GT. One company makes one that comes complete with frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I don't get creating a copy of modern car. Creating a copy of an easily recognized classic, like the AC Cobra, Porsche Speedster or Ferarri Daytona makes sense - but let's face it - the unwashed masses can't tell the difference between the MP4-12C, Gallardo, 458, Veyron or Zonda. To most non-car people they all look like weird flying saucers.

I'd say for people our age that's not far off, but the younger generations seem to be following modern supercars more closely, due to their idols driving them. I know when I was 10 I could give you specs of most of the great Italian, German, and British cars, but I was considered... unusual. wink.gif
post #1222 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Speaking of classics, I really think Magick should consider a Delta Integrale.  It won't resonate in his loins, but he'll have a blast driving it!



Good luck finding one in decent shape on this side of the pond. An alternative is the Shelby Omni GLHS, even by today's standards it's fast.
post #1223 of 7475

I think I am in love with this car.....listen to that engine! 

 

post #1224 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Makes me so sad to see manuals disappearing, better grab them while you can.
post #1225 of 7475
Magick - I found a stablemate for the Isetta - the Messerschmitt KR175 or KR200. Some of you might remember this as the car driven by "Cousin Itt" from the Addam's Family.

post #1226 of 7475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Magick - I found a stablemate for the Isetta - the Messerschmitt KR175 or KR200. Some of you might remember this as the car driven by "Cousin Itt" from the Addam's Family.

Cute little thing. Holy cow, a fully restored KR200 goes for 50k... pricey little so-and-sos, aren't they? Maybe down the road, for the Mrs' tiny car collection. I'll show it to her.

Between parental stuff, juggling calls, and business junk, I did finalize with the guy who owns the `88 M5. We agreed on $15,500 delievered, and that's very fair. He's only in Birmingham, so he's going to load it on a trailer and deliver it himself. I mentioned that I could pay a service $500 to deliver it or I could pay him, since he's relatively close, and he jumped on that. Also, this way I get to meet him, ask questions, and actually check out the car before buying. I swore, swore on my grandmother's soul, to my wife that this is absolutely the last car I'll buy until the Aston is squared away. The meatheads at my garage are fixing the Cobra and are going to go ahead and do the mods and paint. The Aston is coming along, slowly but surely, complete nut and bolt restos take time, especially when it's only 2 people doing it.


Oh, and everyone, meet Emma, our new foster daughter. Like I mentioned before, she is distantly related to my wife and we are planning to adopt when the system lets us. She's a real cutie, IIDSSM, and very curious.



Thoroughly investigating her nana's camera (before trying to chew on it a few seconds later).
Edited by Magick Man - 12/7/12 at 8:34pm
post #1227 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I swore, swore on my grandmother's soul, to my wife that this is absolutely the last car I'll buy until the Aston is squared away.

 

You're really gonna wish you hadn't done that... biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Oh, and everyone, meet Emma, our new foster daughter.

 

smile.gif

post #1228 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Makes me so sad to see manuals disappearing, better grab them while you can.

I agree - running through the gears under hard acceleration while coming out of a tight turn is one of the great joys of driving. Your left foot is working the clutch, your right foot the throttle, your left hand the wheel and your right hand the shift lever (unless your steering wheel is on the other side of the cockpit). It is BIG fun!

I was never very good at the heel-toe technique. I tried for many years, but I never felt very comfortable with it. Maybe I need the flappy paddles as I go *into* the turn, but I want the clutch and shifter as I power out! biggrin.gif
post #1229 of 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



Oh, and everyone, meet Emma, our new foster daughter. Like I mentioned before, she is distantly related to my wife and we are planning to adopt when the system lets us. She's a real cutie, IIDSSM, and very curious.

Thoroughly investigating her nana's camera (before trying to chew on it a few seconds later).

Nothing to say here except a collective,"Awwww....so cute!" 

Congrats Dad....it's all fun and games until she's a teenager! very_evil_smiley.gif

post #1230 of 7475
There are lots of fun & games when she becomes a teenager - but they are just fun for her, not for Dad...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!