Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 81

post #1201 of 7310

BTW Magick, nice custom title you got there!  Nice Currawong is nice.

post #1202 of 7310
Don't forget leaving your tape on the dashboard so that in the middle of the song it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

I always used Maxell or TDK CrO2 tapes (this was before Feo2 tapes) with Bias set to Cro2 & Dolby enabled, so people with crappy tape decks that didn't have bias & Dolby switches thought my tapes sounded like cr@p. tongue.gif
post #1203 of 7310
Thread Starter 
Talk about underrated... no, not the car, the horsepower and torque. wink.gif By the time we got there the drivers were unloading it, they were wearing white gloves and booties over their shoes too, nice touch. Many kudos to Long Island Ferrari, it's in beautiful shape (spotless inside and out with a great wax job). No need for a detailing here, which is nice for a change. It's a hell of a thing. I've seen many nice cars, and even red and black 458s in person, but nothing like this. The yellow simply knocks your eyes out. Night time really sucks for pictures, though.



The 3 of us ran all over the west side of town in it, my wife perched in the console area (she's only 4' 11" and 100lbs), shoes off with her back against the tub. lol We had a great time, I didn't even speed either, much. I stopped to fill up with gas and some guy asked if it was a kit. rolleyes.gif I was surprised how easy it is to drive, set it in Strada with all the softest settings and it's more smooth than I would have guessed. The transmission in auto mode is seamless, very smooth, the only issues are a heavy gas pedal and the width of the car. Even visibility is good, which seems wrong somehow. It and the NSX don't drive anything like you'd imagine a supercar would drive.

We got it back to the garage and hooked it to the dyno to get some numbers. The spec sheet says 562bhp w/ 398 lb/ft of torque, but we got 601bhp w/ 422 torques. I don't know if it's a conservative rating or someone has remapped the ECU (which would void the warranty). confused.gif Otherwise she checked out great and seems like new.
post #1204 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Don't forget leaving your tape on the dashboard so that in the middle of the song it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

I always used Maxell or TDK CrO2 tapes (this was before Feo2 tapes) with Bias set to Cro2 & Dolby enabled, so people with crappy tape decks that didn't have bias & Dolby switches thought my tapes sounded like cr@p. tongue.gif

 

Man, now that I think about it, I feel so under-appreciated from back in the day.  Whenever I had to make a bunch, I'd make masters out of Denon MG-X100 or TDK MA90 tapes (all single use of course), and then dub over multiple copies onto Cro2 tapes.  Did anyone ever appreciate that?  rolleyes.gif

post #1205 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I stopped to fill up with gas and some guy asked if it was a kit. rolleyes.gif

 

Do they even make 458 kits?

post #1206 of 7310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Your mechanic's new Ferrari that he bought with the money you pay him? tongue.gif

Bah, why would he buy anything like that when he can just drive mine. rolleyes.gif He doesn't make that much money, the economy stinks and few other people are having anything done except warranty work. If it weren't for me he'd be in bad shape lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Will you be making some sweet mixtapes for the car? lol.
I think most of us here are old enough to remember those days. People I worked with drove me bat-$hit because they never level matched the songs on their mixtapes (and later CD's) and that made for a very jarring workplace.

Nah, I have a good tape adapter that I can hook to my iPhone (provided the tape deck works). cool.gif I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy though, he replied to my first email but haven't heard from him since. Maybe he's busy. I didn't lowball him or anything, I offered $2k below his asking price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

BTW Magick, nice custom title you got there!  Nice Currawong is nice.

Very groovy! Thanks Currawong. biggrin.gif That large bribe is in the mail. wink.gif
post #1207 of 7310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Do they even make 458 kits?

Yeah, but they look really awful. This car is absolutely sublime, I can't see how anyone could confuse them.
post #1208 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yeah, but they look really awful. This car is absolutely sublime, I can't see how anyone could confuse them.

Simple - it's a lot easier to believe there's a kit that looks like that than it is that there's someone at your local gas station that owns a real one...

However, even if you were blind - you should realize that no kit car can sound like an Italian engine making 600 HP... wink.gif
post #1209 of 7310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Simple - it's a lot easier to believe there's a kit that looks like that than it is that there's someone at your local gas station that owns a real one...
However, even if you were blind - you should realize that no kit car can sound like an Italian engine making 600 HP... wink.gif

True enough, I guess. After I told the guy it was authentic he just turned around and ignored me. Kind of weird.
post #1210 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Do they even make 458 kits?

Yeah, but they look really awful. This car is absolutely sublime, I can't see how anyone could confuse them.

 

LOL, wonder what crappy donor car they suggest...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Simple - it's a lot easier to believe there's a kit that looks like that than it is that there's someone at your local gas station that owns a real one...
However, even if you were blind - you should realize that no kit car can sound like an Italian engine making 600 HP... wink.gif

True enough, I guess. After I told the guy it was authentic he just turned around and ignored me. Kind of weird.

 

Because out of the two, there's only one he can afford.  Mrs. Magick should have jumped out and called him a rear end orifice so everyone could have a good laugh.

post #1211 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

True enough, I guess. After I told the guy it was authentic he just turned around and ignored me. Kind of weird.

Not that weird; I've experienced similar in less exclusive cars. I think billy is spot-on - there's that whole "screw you for having resources" attitude (some years ago a social scientist (I don't remember if it was econ or sociology) did a survey of younger people (like early 20s) about their attitude on wealth, and by and large the majority of them believed that if one person had more money, it was less money they themselves could ever have, and therefore they disliked wealthier people). I don't know if that's the exact case here, but it's my suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

LOL, wonder what crappy donor car they suggest...

MR2 probably. frown.gif
post #1212 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

LOL, wonder what crappy donor car they suggest...

 

 

 

 

 

There were a crapload of kits based on the old Pontiac Fiero (seen below)....everything you could imagine. Miura, Countach, 308GTS, F40, etc.

post #1213 of 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


MR2 probably. frown.gif

 

Noone should ever do that to an MR2, it should be a crime. A Fierro sure, but the MR2 (at least in earlier generations) was a very good base for a high performance/price ratio car. One of the techs at the dealership has a dual turbo MR2. It's fast as hell, and drives like it's on rails.

post #1214 of 7310
Thread Starter 
The Fiero GT was fairly impressive, ignoring the interior, not a bad car at all.
post #1215 of 7310
Thread Starter 
Going to get the baby. The wifi in the CTS-V is pretty good, color me impressed. I'm getting a consistent 2-4MB/s while zipping down the interstate. Likely this is due to the stronger radio and larger antenna in the Caddie's 3G unit (which doesn't quite conform to handheld standards). It's actually lower latency than the 4G built into my iPad. I'll bet someone could play a network FPS on this without too many dropouts.

This morning I sat in the garage staring at the 458, drinking my coffee. Good lord, it's pretty. Not bragging, just the truth. What I really like is the leather interior. Whoever ordered this car did it right; CF options on the outside, where it matters, while keeping it out of the cockpit, where you want softer and more supple materials (except the seat backs and supports, they're CF). Very smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

LOL, wonder what crappy donor car they suggest...

Because out of the two, there's only one he can afford.  Mrs. Magick should have jumped out and called him a rear end orifice so everyone could have a good laugh.

One is an MR2 and the other (and better) is the alu sub-frame from the Ford GT kit. The Mrs was in the car jamming to No Doubt, surprisingly good stereo in that car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Not that weird; I've experienced similar in less exclusive cars. I think billy is spot-on - there's that whole "screw you for having resources" attitude (some years ago a social scientist (I don't remember if it was econ or sociology) did a survey of younger people (like early 20s) about their attitude on wealth, and by and large the majority of them believed that if one person had more money, it was less money they themselves could ever have, and therefore they disliked wealthier people). I don't know if that's the exact case here, but it's my suspicion.
MR2 probably. frown.gif

Gotta love the class warfare that has been fostered over the years. Ignoring the obvious fact that the cultural icons and grimy socialites they worship are wealthier than I'll ever be. Discernment requires critical thinking, and they haven't developed that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!