Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 9

post #121 of 6658
Thread Starter 
Damn, I'm tired, I feel like I could sleep for a week.

New audio stuffs in the house. My wife doesn't mind these, she went with me to get them. The last W/P series (8).

527

Not even bothering to set them up, I'll do that after I get some shuteye.
Edited by Magick Man - 7/17/12 at 3:21am
post #122 of 6658

Large floorstanding Wilson's would be a long way from what I imagined would have a high WAF score. More of a man speaker. You've obviously been pretty successful in turning her around.

 

At the other end of the scale, I've recently got my wife an ipod touch and v-jay headphones. She thinks they're pretty cool - and so do I, with a much more engaging sound that I was expecting. 

 

She would never even consider listening to my main rig - unless forced. 
 

post #123 of 6658
Thread Starter 
It helps that they're black and glossy. She said, "if Darth Vader designed speakers, that's what they'd look like".
post #124 of 6658

My wife bought a 3-piece set of large home entertainment cabinets that completely covered the entire wall of our living/family room - primarily so that I could NOT buy large floorstanding speakers (at least that's what I think).

 

I've been married for 27 years...

 

Male lions have a much better life than male humans.  They lay around all day hangin' with their buds and taking naps.  Occasionally, the males get in fights with other males - but it's usually not serious.  The females raise the kids and get the food.  The only time they see the females is when they want to eat or screw.  When there is food, they stroll in, bellow loudly, and eat first, then find some shade and take a nap.  Brilliant!

post #125 of 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post
Male lions have a much better life than male humans.  They lay around all day hangin' with their buds and taking naps.  Occasionally, the males get in fights with other males - but it's usually not serious.  The females raise the kids and get the food.  The only time they see the females is when they want to eat or screw.  When there is food, they stroll in, bellow loudly, and eat first, then find some shade and take a nap.  Brilliant!

Are you sure that you're not describing the typical man here?

post #126 of 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post

Are you sure that you're not describing the typical man here?

 

Fair enough - let me reword that to say "Male lions have a much better life than *I* do."

post #127 of 6658

I have separate accounts at various local banks that I use just for audiophile gear. Paperless statements and they're all connected to my trading account at the fund where I work. I trade from a home office that double as my A/V room (BAT tube-gear, Stingray tube amp, Focals, misc. downstream gear). "Oh yeah, I got that years ago... don't you recall?" ;)

post #128 of 6658

I think it's just inernal psychological stuff. Like when you were a baby(not all had this) if you saw someone playing with a toy, you would take it and want to play with it, but if they didn't play with it, you wouldn't take it either. It may just seem needless to her and everything.

post #129 of 6658

My wife & I have two significant polarizing differences:

 

1) I am a serial hobbyist.  Everyone in my family ALWAYS had some sort of hobby, and ever since I was a little kid I have cycled through hobby obsessions.  From model rockets, tropical fish, aquatic plants, sports cars, coin collecting, audio, home theater, etc, etc!  Some of them I drop for several years and then pick back-up and quickly become just as obsessed as if I never left.  OTOH, my wife has NO HOBBIES.  None.  Zip.  She collects nothing, researches nothing, obsesses over nothing.  This is completely unfathomable to me.

 

2) Condiments.  I am a ketchup guy - and I'll put it on just about anything.  She hates ketchup and likes only mustard and dill pickles - both which I hate.  This does save time at picnics & baseball games - we never fight over the condiment bottles.

 

shrug1.gif

post #130 of 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

My wife & I have two significant polarizing differences:

 

1) I am a serial hobbyist.  Everyone in my family ALWAYS had some sort of hobby, and ever since I was a little kid I have cycled through hobby obsessions.  From model rockets, tropical fish, aquatic plants, sports cars, coin collecting, audio, home theater, etc, etc!  Some of them I drop for several years and then pick back-up and quickly become just as obsessed as if I never left.  OTOH, my wife has NO HOBBIES.  None.  Zip.  She collects nothing, researches nothing, obsesses over nothing.  This is completely unfathomable to me.

 

2) Condiments.  I am a ketchup guy - and I'll put it on just about anything.  She hates ketchup and likes only mustard and dill pickles - both which I hate.  This does save time at picnics & baseball games - we never fight over the condiment bottles.

 

shrug1.gif

 

 

+1 for that it fits me to a "t".

 

+1 for hypno-toad!

post #131 of 6658
Start spending every minute with her and I mean every minute. Don't give her any space and demand extra sex, well beyond what is normal and reasonable. While you are with her, pull up photos and articles regarding coveted piece of audio gear. Talk about it consistently, to yourself and make sure you use a tone of voice that conveys longing and despair. Browse the forums on iphone every night and make sure the click click click of the keyboard is audible. Eventually she'll be desperate for a moments peace and some way to occupy you or will confront you regarding your behavior. That is when you confess how bored you are and suggest that perhaps, piece of gear would keep you occupied.

Then when she relents, buy TWO pieces of gear instead of one.
post #132 of 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD View Post

Start spending every minute with her and I mean every minute. Don't give her any space and demand extra sex, well beyond what is normal and reasonable. While you are with her, pull up photos and articles regarding coveted piece of audio gear. Talk about it consistently, to yourself and make sure you use a tone of voice that conveys longing and despair. Browse the forums on iphone every night and make sure the click click click of the keyboard is audible. Eventually she'll be desperate for a moments peace and some way to occupy you or will confront you regarding your behavior. That is when you confess how bored you are and suggest that perhaps, piece of gear would keep you occupied.
Then when she relents, buy TWO pieces of gear instead of one.

This may just be evil genius right here..... re-education through annoyance haha.

 

How about, being interested in her hobbies, asking her, what that is, what this is, how to sew this or whatever and make her wish you had your "own" hobbies lol..and then the idea pops into her head.

 

"How about you go buy those SR009's you've been wanting?"

post #133 of 6658
Thread Starter 
Audio gear doesn't bother her as much anymore, ever since I annexed the HT/music room under the terms of the "mancave initiative", things have been much more peaceful.

Luckily, my wife does have hobbies, she's an art collector and steampunk/goth devotee, plus she loves to write, sew, draw, and sculpt.
post #134 of 6658

I need a house with more rooms!  Maybe after the kids head to college...

post #135 of 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I need a house with more rooms!  Maybe after the kids head to college...

And when they come back home..their first reaction would be ಠ▃ಠ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!