Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 75

post #1111 of 7303
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

After careful thought and consideration, over the course of the past few months, I have come to the conclusion that this is a happy happy fun thread.  I'm glad that there exists such a thread on Head-Fi, and I hereby dedicate the following song to this thread:

Of course it is, why wouldn't it be? wink.gif So far I've not even spent $1M... but then I've not finished paying for the DB6 or 12C, either. redface.gif
post #1112 of 7303
Trivia fact: Steve Perry grew up about 30-40 minutes from my home town and he's a Central California Portagee just like me - except that he had a great voice and was part of classic 80s rock group - and I was not... tongue.gif
post #1113 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

except that he had a great voice and was part of classic 80s rock group - and I was not... tongue.gif

 

I refer you back to the title of the aforementioned song.  wink.gif

post #1114 of 7303
I'm pretty sure that the closest I could get is *maybe* as a William Hung-style rock star.
post #1115 of 7303
Thread Starter 
Speaking of the 12C... delayed, it appears. They're many weeks behind on orders for the US. Figures.
post #1116 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Speaking of the 12C... delayed, it appears. They're many weeks behind on orders for the US. Figures.

 

I think that a ton of F1 swag would go a long way towards an earnest apology on their part.

post #1117 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I think that a ton of F1 swag would go a long way towards an earnest apology on their part.

This.

Then again, maybe you'll luck out, and they'll drop it after the snow and mess is gone, and you can go play immediately. biggrin.gif
post #1118 of 7303
Maybe McLaren ran out of Carbon fiber - I heard the crop was going to be light this year due to an warm Fall. D@mn global warming... tongue.gif
post #1119 of 7303
Thread Starter 
No carbon fiber!?! eek.gif They need to plant a larger crop next year!

They say that DOT regs required a rework of something in the ABS system, but I think they simply overestimated their capacity.

On the plus side, the EZ-EFI system was just that. It did take more time than they thought, because of a sensor install in the tank, but otherwise it went without a hitch. Due to personal stuff going on I didn't get to be there during the calibration, but he said it only took a few minutes of driving. Word is that it smoothed the idle right out and greatly improved throttle response. We ditched the smaller circular filters for a cold air system, also the cylinder compression was higher than we thought, things improved even more with a fill-up of 93 octane, some of what we were running into before was pre-ignition. After all that he got 640bhp/560lbs on the dyno. That's much higher than the "official" rating given, but he wasn't too surprised. It is an RPM-built engine.
post #1120 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

No carbon fiber!?! eek.gif They need to plant a larger crop next year!
They say that DOT regs required a rework of something in the ABS system, but I think they simply overestimated their capacity.
On the plus side, the EZ-EFI system was just that. It did take more time than they thought, because of a sensor install in the tank, but otherwise it went without a hitch. Due to personal stuff going on I didn't get to be there during the calibration, but he said it only took a few minutes of driving. Word is that it smoothed the idle right out and greatly improved throttle response. We ditched the smaller circular filters for a cold air system, also the cylinder compression was higher than we thought, things improved even more with a fill-up of 93 octane, some of what we were running into before was pre-ignition. After all that he got 640bhp/560lbs on the dyno. That's much higher than the "official" rating given, but he wasn't too surprised. It is an RPM-built engine.

 

That's the Cobra engine with those numbers? Pretty mind-boggling for such a lightweight car. basshead.gif

post #1121 of 7303
Thread Starter 
Yes, the Cobra. The mechanic really didn't like the dual carburetor setup on it, he said it was like putting a Rembrandt in a $10 Wal-Mart frame. They were improperly setup and starved for air, the new system removes all those problems. But yeah, that's a lot of power. blink.gif
post #1122 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Yes, the Cobra. The mechanic really didn't like the dual carburetor setup on it, he said it was like putting a Rembrandt in a $10 Wal-Mart frame. They were improperly setup and starved for air, the new system removes all those problems. But yeah, that's a lot of power. blink.gif



There can never be too much power. biggrin.gif
post #1123 of 7303
Thread Starter 
640bhp in a 2200lb car... gah. Who needs an Ariel Atom? 3.4:1 ratio there, the Atom V8 is 3:1, that's not that different. I've not driven the Cobra, it's cold and I'm less than whole right now, but they say it's "shockingly manageable" because of the suspension and new tires, and the light weight means we don't need massive CFC brakes to stop on a dime. Of course, if you want to peel off all your rubber, you easily can, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.
post #1124 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

640bhp in a 2200lb car... gah. Who needs an Ariel Atom? 3.4:1 ratio there, the Atom V8 is 3:1, that's not that different. I've not driven the Cobra, it's cold and I'm less than whole right now, but they say it's "shockingly manageable" because of the suspension and new tires, and the light weight means we don't need massive CFC brakes to stop on a dime. Of course, if you want to peel off all your rubber, you easily can, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

So what's next? A Busa?
post #1125 of 7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


So what's next? A Busa?

With a turbocharger! basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!