Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! - Page 70

post #1036 of 7862
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Well that blows - you always imagine a place like that would be ALL about doing whatever the customer wanted. They live and die by making people with large amounts of disposable income very, very happy. Maybe it's gotten to the point where most of their customers are professional buyers, not the actual collectors, and they all do the drill however Mecum tells them to do it - no matter what the cost or how many hoops they are asked to leap through. Another cool image I had in my brain shattered by reality... tongue.gif

The delivery driver calls to ask if I mind him stopping off in St Louis to have Thanksgiving dinner with his family. I tell him, "as long as the cars are safe, that sounds fine to me". He seems very surprised by this.

Mecum auctions are largely for dealers now, it seems, as they sell a lot of "bulk classics", the ones which are mostly for collectors are Gooding and Barrett-Jackson. There are much better deals on Mecum, if you can deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing just from this brief excerpt alone...
rolleyes.gif
post #1037 of 7862
Speaking of B-J (pun intended), I saw that this will be one of the cars scheduled to be sold at Scottsdale:



They describe it as "1 of 1" the only "Plum Crazy Purple" hemi 'Cuda convertible made in 1971.

I can see why - that is butt ugly - but I'm sure it will sell for Big Money.
post #1038 of 7862
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Speaking of B-J (pun intended), I saw that this will be one of the cars scheduled to be sold at Scottsdale:

They describe it as "1 of 1" the only "Plum Crazy Purple" hemi 'Cuda convertible made in 1971.
I can see why - that is butt ugly - but I'm sure it will sell for Big Money.

That's not so bad, if you're Prince or the Joker. biggrin.gif

Another lot, `63 E-Type:




I've never seen one in such condition before. Bugger. eek.gif
post #1039 of 7862
OK Magick, I've done some research for you on additional cars at the B-J auction in Scottsdale in January, and I have selected the cars I'm recommending for your short list:

2009 Viper ACR. I would like to see this and your McLaren in a top-speed shoot-out...




This is a replica - I had never heard of this car before, but apparently the original 1940 Newport Chrysler Roadster was built to be the pace car for the 1940 Indy 500




OK - I know I keep recommending the Austin Healy 3000, but I have always thought they are very cool cars and they fit so well with your other British cars. This is a really late 1964 Mk III




I have also never heard of a 1954 Kaiser Darrin, but this thing it pretty cool! The color is so Art Deco it hurts.




Now for some cars that are a little more fun...

First, for Mrs. Magick's toy car collection, a 1959 Fiat "Transformable Semi Convertible" tongue.gif 21 HP!!




I have no idea what this thing is, but anything with horns on the front should be a buy now:




And finally, my personal favorite - I think you & Mrs. Magick could have a lot of fun with this - Rut Row!!

post #1040 of 7862
Thread Starter 
Okay, what's left on "the list" is:

a prime E-Type 4.2l Jag
Ariel Atom 300
Dino 246GT
Carrera GT (yeah, I know)
Lambo Aventador
Ferrari 458 Italia
Lambo Muira (I know...)
Ford GT-X1
70's or 80's A-M V8 Vantage
Saleen S7 TT
DT Pantera
Pristine Ferrari 308 GT
and...

a Pagani Zonda F Roadster tongue_smile.gif

I am digging the Mystery Machine, though.
post #1041 of 7862
No argument from me on the E-type - that was my dream car when I was in high school. In ~1978, I seem to remember seeing nice E-types in Hemming's for around $6-8K? Does that sound right for that time period? That was a long time ago and many brain cells have been killed since then. I think the earlier E-Types were a bit better looking than the later ones, and unfortunately that means a 4.2L I6 not a V12.

The car on your list that surprised me is the Ferrari 308 GT (B or S?). I always thought that was pretty much considered the red-headed stepchild car of Ferrari - even less of a Ferrari than the Dino. There is already a beautiful Ferrari in your stable, and both the Dino 246 & the 458 Italia are beautiful as well. Is there a man-crush on Magnum PI that we should know about? tongue.gif

Good luck on the Miura and the Carrera GT...
post #1042 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Lambo Aventador
.

You actually want this one? ph34r.gif

On the other pics - I dig the wheels on the Cuda, but hate the rest of it. I like the Viper (and I'm glad that more people on board with the "Magick getting a Viper" plan), and the Kaiser (where do you find this stuff though?). The Mystery Machine - ehhh. Good paint, but I'd rather see it on a Falcon. redface.gif
post #1043 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Okay, what's left on "the list" is:
a prime E-Type 4.2l Jag
Ariel Atom 300
Dino 246GT
Carrera GT (yeah, I know)
Lambo Aventador
Ferrari 458 Italia
Lambo Muira (I know...)
Ford GT-X1
70's or 80's A-M V8 Vantage
Saleen S7 TT
DT Pantera
Pristine Ferrari 308 GT
and...
a Pagani Zonda F Roadster tongue_smile.gif
I am digging the Mystery Machine, though.


Why not a Bugatti Veyron ;). I love how refined those cars look and drive.

post #1044 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Okay, what's left on "the list" is:
a prime E-Type 4.2l Jag
Ariel Atom 300
Dino 246GT
Carrera GT (yeah, I know)
Lambo Aventador
Ferrari 458 Italia
Lambo Muira (I know...)
Ford GT-X1
70's or 80's A-M V8 Vantage
Saleen S7 TT
DT Pantera
Pristine Ferrari 308 GT
and...
a Pagani Zonda F Roadster tongue_smile.gif
I am digging the Mystery Machine, though.

 

How about one of these?

 

post #1045 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

How about one of these?


Nice video for a very nice car. Another more modern muscle car I'd throw into that would be the re-released Mercury Marauder. What I'm somewhat unclear on though, the video claims the GNX is the fastest accelerating production sedan...what? I thought either the AMG S-Class Benz, or one of the bigger Cadillac models would hold that title. blink.gif
post #1046 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Nice video for a very nice car. Another more modern muscle car I'd throw into that would be the re-released Mercury Marauder. What I'm somewhat unclear on though, the video claims the GNX is the fastest accelerating production sedan...what? I thought either the AMG S-Class Benz, or one of the bigger Cadillac models would hold that title. blink.gif

Well, at the time of the car's production, at least through the quarter-mile, it was the quickest sedan. I'm sure some of the AMG Benz models could match or outdo its times now though. IIRC the GNX did 0-60 in 4.6 or 4.7 seconds.

post #1047 of 7862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Okay, what's left on "the list" is:
,......
Dino 246GT
......

 

When I was a little lad, there was The Persuaders on TV. Roger Moore (Aston Martin) and Tony Curtis (Dino) doing the cross Atlantic buddy thing with cars, villains and pretty girls.

I LOVED the Dino in that series, so was mortified to later read that Tony hated it (can't remember why, but guessing he preferred something bigger and softer).

These days, the Dino looks, erm, classic, but in those days it was so now!.

 

 

1000

post #1048 of 7862
The Dino looks so tiny compared to the Aston! I don't think you could find a better picture to represent the difference between late 60s-early 70s Italian sports cars and British touring muscle.
post #1049 of 7862
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Why not a Bugatti Veyron wink.gif. I love how refined those cars look and drive.

Two reasons, really. One, it's $3M. I don't have $3M to spend on a car, I'd get murdered. Two, they're big and heavy, and really, they're so cliche now.

Oh, and I think they're kinda ugly, so there's that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

You actually want this one? ph34r.gif
On the other pics - I dig the wheels on the Cuda, but hate the rest of it. I like the Viper (and I'm glad that more people on board with the "Magick getting a Viper" plan), and the Kaiser (where do you find this stuff though?). The Mystery Machine - ehhh. Good paint, but I'd rather see it on a Falcon. redface.gif

Vipers... vipers... where to begin? They're fast, fun to drive (I have on many occasions), look okay, but they feel like Snap-tite kit cars. Very cheap, rattly, and uninspiring. It's like they ran out of money after the drivetrain and then scrambled to get it finished with whatever was left. The same goes Corvettes; Z06, ZR1, etc.. Great engines, cheap, cheap, body and interior. The new SRT branded Cobra looks different, they may actually be spending some money on construction and materials. I'll see about getting a test drive and check out what's what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

No argument from me on the E-type - that was my dream car when I was in high school. In ~1978, I seem to remember seeing nice E-types in Hemming's for around $6-8K? Does that sound right for that time period? That was a long time ago and many brain cells have been killed since then. I think the earlier E-Types were a bit better looking than the later ones, and unfortunately that means a 4.2L I6 not a V12.
The car on your list that surprised me is the Ferrari 308 GT (B or S?). I always thought that was pretty much considered the red-headed stepchild car of Ferrari - even less of a Ferrari than the Dino. There is already a beautiful Ferrari in your stable, and both the Dino 246 & the 458 Italia are beautiful as well. Is there a man-crush on Magnum PI that we should know about? tongue.gif
Good luck on the Miura and the Carrera GT...

I prefer the I6 frankly, it's more reliable and IMO has a better sound. In looks, the series 1 and 2 have it all over the 3, for sure. I just want a mid-60s that's well sorted with matching numbers. Oh, and it needs to be BRG.

The 308? It's a childhood fixation, I had a poster of one when I was a kid. Magnum PI was one of my favorite shows back then. cool.gif Look at the chicks he brought home. Daaaaamn. That was back when TV was great; Magnum PI, SMDM, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Charlie's Angels, Hawaii Five-O, M*A*S*H, etc. etc. etc.. Nothing we have on today compares.

Specifically, I want a 308 GTSI QV. Also, there's the 288 GTO, but really, it's so rare that I'd feel odd buying one just because I can, when there are true Ferrari nuts who would appreciate it more. If I were to do that, I might as well just get an F40 if I'm going to spend that much on a classic Prancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

How about one of these?

I owned a GNX and it was a nightmare. Great looking car, but was always breaking down and parts would just break and fall off. I traded it within 9 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post

When I was a little lad, there was The Persuaders on TV. Roger Moore (Aston Martin) and Tony Curtis (Dino) doing the cross Atlantic buddy thing with cars, villains and pretty girls.
I LOVED the Dino in that series, so was mortified to later read that Tony hated it (can't remember why, but guessing he preferred something bigger and softer).
These days, the Dino looks, erm, classic, but in those days it was so now!.

I love the Dino look, one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I don't care that they're slow or seemingly dated, they're like car porn to me.
post #1050 of 7862
I loved Baa Baa Black Sheep - it had everything I liked - dog fighting airplanes, a tropical island with hot nurses, and James West (but in a Marine uniform).

Did you really think you would stump me with the "SMDM" reference? Nnnnnn-ah, Nnnnnn-ah... wink.gif

You forgot Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica (the real one!) and 3's Company. Mmmmm, Janet & Chrissy sandwich...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!