Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Getting a gaming headset for CONSOLES.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting a gaming headset for CONSOLES.

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

hey i'm new here and i'm trying to get a new gaming headset after my PX21''s broke a few months back.

I'm not an audiofile and PLEASE don't talk about PC headsets i'm trying to get one for consoles.

My budget is 200$ at most and i'm not very picky about surround sound or the best audio ect , i do need one with good build quality and listening to music on my laptop.

So far here's the ones i have my eyes the a30's the turtle beach X32's and the XP300.

post #2 of 26
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 

bump sorry lol.

post #4 of 26

Check out Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide. He's a console gamer, so the advice especially suits you.

 

But to distill most of that advice, everything revolves around the Astro Mixamp, to which you either connect a good pair of hi-fi headphones and a ModMic, or if you've got the cash, a Sennheiser PC360.

post #5 of 26

I recommend just getting an astro mixamp and whatever headphones you want, and if you need a dedicated headset I recommend the PC360.

post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Check out Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide. He's a console gamer, so the advice especially suits you.

 

But to distill most of that advice, everything revolves around the Astro Mixamp, to which you either connect a good pair of hi-fi headphones and a ModMic, or if you've got the cash, a Sennheiser PC360.



Solid advice ^

Astro offers a package deal on their A30 headset with their Mixamp for $200. You might have to spend more than that if you're going to buy the amp, a headphone and mod mic separately.

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 

if that's the case i'll just go with the a30's the other ones seem abit out of my range.

One more thing anyone own the turtle beach X32 or XP300 or 400?

post #8 of 26
While I have not tried them myself. If you are not super into audio quality I would say that you should go with the tritton ax720. Its 130 comes with a headset and decoder box. Then you can always buy a better headset or headphones later. They use the same dolby headphone tech. There is just a small amount of hiss you will only hear if the game is dead quiet. You wont get the hiss with the astros. But the a30 isn't suposed to be that good anyways and you can use the money you saved to buy a game or two to test out your new headset with.

Again I haven't heard the a30 myself but just placed an order from astros and skipped getting and headsets with my mixamp pro. I did get the astars only because I already have good headphones and like earbuds. Wont get them till next week so can't say anything about them yet.
Edited by Drastion - 3/7/12 at 11:14pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastion View Post

While I have not tried them myself. If you are not super into audio quality I would say that you should go with the tritton ax720t.

they're pretty much junk. even for surround sound headset. i liked and use to own pair of turtle beach HPA2 headset few years ago originally for my pc but i had an adapter at the time to use it with consoles as well. worked great for my 360 as well, but the right bass driver blew and i sent them back. when they worked though they actually sounded not too bad. built nicely and comfy. the surround effect worked pretty well but it defiantly was better then the ax720.
post #10 of 26

tb dss2(if you can find dss 1) and ath ad700 is the best choice for you.70$+110$=180$ on amazon.Even cheaper than 200$ a30.

Don't but tb(except hpx)or astro headsets if you want lot better sound quality.

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Check out Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide. He's a console gamer, so the advice especially suits you.

But to distill most of that advice, everything revolves around the Astro Mixamp, to which you either connect a good pair of hi-fi headphones and a ModMic, or if you've got the cash, a Sennheiser PC360.

Please do not get the modmic.

Nobody needs to spend $30+ on a 3.5mm mic that costs a few cents to make.
post #12 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg View Post
Please do not get the modmic.
Nobody needs to spend $30+ on a 3.5mm mic that costs a few cents to make.


I agree in that it's overpriced, but I can't find any other boom mics that are designed to easily attach and detach to standard headphones, especially without some DIY modification.

 

Care to link me some?

post #13 of 26
I have the a30. I'm really into audio quality and I liked it at first but now I almost can't stand to use it. I'm thinking about getting a Sennheiser, x320, PC350 or PC360. Those are widely known as some of the best on the market.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post




I agree in that it's overpriced, but I can't find any other boom mics that are designed to easily attach and detach to standard headphones, especially without some DIY modification.

Care to link me some?

zalman clip-on mic

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

labtec lva-7330 (I use this) - bought it off somebody on local classified site for $5


basically, you can use ANY 3.5mm mic from your dollar store. Then buy some velcro and you're set.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick3 View Post

tb dss2(if you can find dss 1) and ath ad700 is the best choice for you.70$+110$=180$ on amazon.Even cheaper than 200$ a30.

Don't but tb(except hpx)or astro headsets if you want lot better sound quality.


 

Are they good for noise cancelling?

Also remember i'm not an audiophile i think the PX21's sounded awsome if that says anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Getting a gaming headset for CONSOLES.