Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones for mid range price?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Headphones for mid range price?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

What would you guys say is the best headphones for the mid price range?

 

I currently own Bose QC 15 and Beats Studio I know both garbage but they were free.

 

Hope you guys can help my aid in becoming a audiophile :)

 

Thanks!

 

1st post!

post #2 of 16

What would you call midrange? Some people would call $150 midrange, and some would call $900 midrange.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

About 300-350 max

post #4 of 16
post #5 of 16

What kind of music do you listen to?

 

Denon AH-D2000 [2]

You can get the Denon's for $200 on electronics expo open box or if they are sold out electronics expo will ussually be selling them open box on amazon under used for $220.


Edited by Deltron 3030 - 3/5/12 at 8:31pm
post #6 of 16

Sell the Beats and Bose and combine that with your budget and you've got enough for a pretty good setup.

 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

I like loud and bass in my music basically hip hop, dubstep, sometimes melodic tunes. Also preferabbly a 3.5mm jack

 

Thanks for the feedback so far!

 

Keep them coming!

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpchen94 View Post
What would you guys say is the best headphones for the mid price range?

I currently own Bose QC 15 and Beats Studio I know both garbage but they were free.

Hope you guys can help my aid in becoming a audiophile :)

What source(s) are you plugging your headphones into?

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm ($200), sounds better when used with an amp.
 

 

 

post #9 of 16

Don't worry about fidelity then - you'll be deaf soon enough and it won't matter!

 

And no, I don't mean this as a direct attack; http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

 

Anyways, I would pass on the Denon D2000 as it sounds like you're going to use these on the go, and they are not the most durable headphones ever made (and that's my sole gripe with them, sonically they will likely do what you want). The Beyerdynamics are going to stand-up better to prolonged (ab)use, and if those don't suit you, there's a number of DJ cans that might be worth considering (Audio-Technica, Pioneer, and Allen&Heath all come to mind here). Again, they'll survive mobile use better, and still get you bass and enough SPLs to ensure substantial hearing damage. 

 

You might also consider in-ears, as they'll likely provide more isolation (which may let you get away with turning the volume down and sparing your hearing; alternately, they're usually very sensitive and can accelerate the hearing loss process if you really want); there's an ocean of options, and I'm not extremely well versed in all of them. The one set I can absolutely suggest based on your criteria are the Denon AH-C751, which have very good low-end response and are fairly affordable for what they offer. I've read about the Klipsch X10 being a "step up" (and it isn't substantially more money), but I haven't bothered to test them out myself. Might also look at some of the options from UE and Ety; I have the Ety hearing protectors and can tell you they isolate very well, and are quite comfortable - the versions that actually make sound can't be all bad based on that. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpchen94 View Post

I like loud and bass in my music basically hip hop, dubstep, sometimes melodic tunes. Also preferabbly a 3.5mm jack

 

Thanks for the feedback so far!

 

Keep them coming!



 

post #10 of 16

hd650 if you can find them on sale, but that won't include an amp/dac

 

i got my hd650's for about $350 on amazon a few months ago, and i could not be happier (unless i had an hd800, i guess, but that is besides the point)

post #11 of 16


Unlikely. Remember, at authorized retailers these are seeing price fixing. And, having said that, they're not really a "bass boost" headphone - they will sound "thin" or "lean" compared to many "bass boost" cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk0v View Post

hd650 if you can find them on sale



 

post #12 of 16

Sell the Beats and Bose, up another $150(or a little more?), get the D5000, and be done with it.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Don't worry about fidelity then - you'll be deaf soon enough and it won't matter!

 

And no, I don't mean this as a direct attack; http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

 

Anyways, I would pass on the Denon D2000 as it sounds like you're going to use these on the go, and they are not the most durable headphones ever made (and that's my sole gripe with them, sonically they will likely do what you want). The Beyerdynamics are going to stand-up better to prolonged (ab)use, and if those don't suit you, there's a number of DJ cans that might be worth considering (Audio-Technica, Pioneer, and Allen&Heath all come to mind here). Again, they'll survive mobile use better, and still get you bass and enough SPLs to ensure substantial hearing damage. 

 

You might also consider in-ears, as they'll likely provide more isolation (which may let you get away with turning the volume down and sparing your hearing; alternately, they're usually very sensitive and can accelerate the hearing loss process if you really want); there's an ocean of options, and I'm not extremely well versed in all of them. The one set I can absolutely suggest based on your criteria are the Denon AH-C751, which have very good low-end response and are fairly affordable for what they offer. I've read about the Klipsch X10 being a "step up" (and it isn't substantially more money), but I haven't bothered to test them out myself. Might also look at some of the options from UE and Ety; I have the Ety hearing protectors and can tell you they isolate very well, and are quite comfortable - the versions that actually make sound can't be all bad based on that. 



 



I guess it's a good thing I don't listen to my music loud 95% of the time! Also, I agree with everyone who said to sell your beats and bose bhpchen94.


Edited by KingOfTheWild - 3/6/12 at 2:28pm
post #14 of 16

Audio Technica M50 at $150 or Denons at $200, they are very good

post #15 of 16

Here are some options if you're on the go and need isolation:

 

V-MODA M-80 (decent isolation but big, great sound for on-ears)

Sennheiser HD25 (very good isolation, great all-rounders)

KRK KNS-8400 (good isolation, very balanced sound and great detail)

ATH-M50 (good isolation, fun sound)

 

If you're going to be using them at home, Denons are the way to go.


Edited by roma101 - 3/6/12 at 3:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones for mid range price?