Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Where does the Headamp GS-1 Stand now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where does the Headamp GS-1 Stand now? - Page 4

post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


I'd just get new modules from Justin if you haven't done this yet.

^ THIS!

post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


I'd just get new modules from Justin if you haven't done this yet.

 

Thanks Andrew.

 

Any idea where I can get some feedback or review on those modules?

post #48 of 76

Some info here The GS-1 Thread

And some still applicable to GS-1 here The HeadAmp GS-X Thread


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 5/23/13 at 1:15pm
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Some info here The GS-1 Thread

And some still applicable to GS-1 here The HeadAmp GS-X Thread

Thanks Andrew.  I will take a look.  I was hoping some GS-1 owners with modules posted reviews and comparison.

 

Maybe I will find one.

post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Not sure I'd classify the Soloist as an "upgrade" to the GS-1. Both are very fine amps.

How about the Burson Conductor?  Will it be a good upgrade from GS-1?

post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu11dog View Post

How about the Burson Conductor?  Will it be a good upgrade from GS-1?

 

The amp portion of the Conductor is the same as the Soloist. 

post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 View Post

 

The amp portion of the Conductor is the same as the Soloist. 

^ This.

post #53 of 76

Thanks K_19 and MacedonianHero.

 

I guess I should just stay with GS-1 until I can afford a GS-X.

post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu11dog View Post
This discussion thread is exactly what I need.

 

I was thinking to sell my GS-1 to upgrade to a Burson Soloist.  Now I will keep my GS-1 a little longer and check out some local meets before make the upgrade.

 

I own the Soloist (and GS-X MK2) right now and previously owned the GS-1, and would call the GS-1 an upgrade from the Soloist, not the other way around. With the caveat of the modules as already pointed out, as the GS-1's output power makes it less than ideal for hard-to-drive headphones like orthos. The Dynalo+ modules would help rectify that.

 

Btw, the next Seattle-area meet is on 7/27: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665040/seattle-head-fi-meet-at-bottleheadquarters-7-27-13

post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

I own the Soloist (and GS-X MK2) right now and previously owned the GS-1, and would call the GS-1 an upgrade from the Soloist, not the other way around. With the caveat of the modules as already pointed out, as the GS-1's output power makes it less than ideal for hard-to-drive headphones like orthos. The Dynalo+ modules would help rectify that.

 

Btw, the next Seattle-area meet is on 7/27: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665040/seattle-head-fi-meet-at-bottleheadquarters-7-27-13

Thanks Asr.  Good to know my old but trusted GS-1 is still relevant in 2013!

 

I will try to attend the next Seattle meet and hopefully to find a good amp that is a upgrade and fit to all my headphones.

 

At meantime I placed order with Justin to get the Dynalo+ modules for my GS-1.  Cannot wait!

post #56 of 76

Still waiting for my Dynalo+ modules....

 

I hope to get them soon!  biggrin.gif

post #57 of 76

The Dynalo+ modules arrived today and the installation was painless.

 

First I let my newly upgraded GS-1 Dynalo+ burn-in for 2 hours before I started listening.   I chose following 3 CDs to help me determining if the upgrade truly worth $199 and the wait.

 

*Mack the Knife: The Complete Ella in Berlin [Live]

*Jane Monheit: Taking a Chance on Love

*Jazz at the Pawnshop

 

Headphones used: Semi-vintage RS-1, HD-600 and ATH-W3000ANV

 

All listening was done with Low Gain.  I will try High Gain later.  

 

Right away, the sound is much more airy with Dynalo+.  This is especially true when listening to the Live recording of Ella in Berlin with W3000ANV.  Not only I hear the wider sound stage but also the her singing when she is moving from one side of stage to the other.

 

One of my favorite song to test sound quality is "Bill" from Jane Monheit's album Taking a Chance of Love.  With Dynalo+ and RS-1, the song's emotion came out fully and I hear every breath she took clearly.  In addition, this song goes from fast to slow and from loud to quiet, Dynalo+ handles they all perfectly.

 

Finally one of my favorite album, Jazz at the Pawnshop.  The other amazing Live recording.  Again Dynalo+ clearly draw the size of stage to my ear, it was a much smaller stage compare to Ella in Berlin.  Even with HD-600 I could tell the amp controls the tempo of the performance extremely well, I did not feel sense of be rushed.  Typically my feeling for HD-600 is that it is a slower and more lay back headphones.  However, with Dynalo+ I hear energy and passion from HD-600.

 

To summarize, this is the best upgrade I ever completed with audio equipments.  The price is reasonable and the installation was easy.  The wait was totally worth it.  I highly recommend Dynalo+ modules to all GS-1 owner.  You already own a great amp and you owe yourself to try this out.  You will fall in love with your GS-1 all over again.  

 

Special thanks to those who advised to keep GS-1 and upgrade to Dynalo+!

 


Edited by Bu11dog - 6/20/13 at 8:04am
post #58 of 76

Still in love with my newly upgraded GS-1 Dynalo+.  It is simply amazing!

 

However I have a quick question, I usually leave GS-1 on all the time.  However, after the upgrade, my GS-1 is noticeably hotter than before.

 

Is this normal?  Should I start turning my GS-1 off when not listening to it?

 

Thanks. 

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu11dog View Post

Still in love with my newly upgraded GS-1 Dynalo+.  It is simply amazing!

 

However I have a quick question, I usually leave GS-1 on all the time.  However, after the upgrade, my GS-1 is noticeably hotter than before.

 

Is this normal?  Should I start turning my GS-1 off when not listening to it?

 

Thanks. 

Yes, this is normal. The new Dynalo+ modules bias it further into Class A (thus the heat). I would turn it off though in between listening sessions.

post #60 of 76

Thanks MacedonianHero.  I will take your advice and turn it off between listening sessions.

 

GS-1 is truly a great headphones amp!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Where does the Headamp GS-1 Stand now?