Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears 600 appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears 600 appreciation thread - Page 2

post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Uhh, where did I write that? I said that UE600 measures well. I actually don't look at frequency response all that much. For me the most important measurements are the square wave graphs.

 



Inks said it.  However, you did agree with Inks and make that statement.  However, your proof isn't a general case (in relation to the 600s only), it's a specific case.  I want a universal cause...  Meaning, a certain frequency shape = punchyness and no other shape can produce punchyness.  Without this specific proof, the statement that frequency graphs say a lot about the headphones properties are nil. 

post #17 of 53

UE600 (or the SuperFi 5 when I had them) are disappointing to me at its price point. Quit trying to compare them to the SE530/SE535 because they sound nothing alike and the SQ of the SE530/SE535 is on another level. FR graphs are very misleading.

 

What annoyed me most about this iem was it's pretty crappy detail for its price.


Edited by ProjectDenz - 3/12/12 at 10:41pm
post #18 of 53
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectDenz View Post

UE600 (or the SuperFi 5 when I had them) are disappointing to me at its price point. Quit trying to compare them to the SE530/SE535 because they sound nothing alike and the SQ of the SE530/SE535 is on another level. FR graphs are very misleading.

 

What annoyed me most about this iem was it's pretty crappy detail for its price.

 

Can you expand on this? What exactly do you mean when you say UE600 has crappy detail? Compared to which IEMs in its price range? What details can't you hear with UE600 that you could with the others? I find detail to be very good on the UE600, especially in the midrange. I find them equally or more detailed than my RE262, RE272, DT880. Treble detail is behind the DT880 perhaps, but definitely comparable to the Hifiman IEMs to me. I do find them very similar to Shure SE530/535 overall. I didn't hear more detail from the Shures, nor did I hear anything else from the Shures that I could lable as a significant improvement over the UE600. If you think that perhaps my ears are not good enough to hear that level of detail, let's say that I also own the $699 Hifiman HE-500 Orthodynamics and I do hear details with them that I can't with any other headphone I tried, so I do detect extra detail when its there. SE530/535 is hardly any more detailed than the UE600 to me, period.

 

Also, did you read my original post carefully? I wrote clearly that I am impressed with the UE600 measurements, not FR graph. The measurements include, impulse response, isolation, square wave graphs among other things. What impresses me most is the 300 Hz square wave reproduction of this IEM, not the FR graph.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Inks said it.  However, you did agree with Inks and make that statement.  However, your proof isn't a general case (in relation to the 600s only), it's a specific case.  I want a universal cause...  Meaning, a certain frequency shape = punchyness and no other shape can produce punchyness.  Without this specific proof, the statement that frequency graphs say a lot about the headphones properties are nil. 

 

Do I  have to back up everything I hear with graphs? It just happened that UE600 graphs well and sounds great also to my ears. If we have to back up everything we hear with objective scientific evidence then most of what's written on head-fi is pretty much useless. What I was trying to do in case of UE600 was share my appreciation for its sound with the community here. Graphs were just used to show that the UE600 does measure quite well objectively too, not just sounds good subjectively.

 

But anyway,  this is an appreciation thread for UE600. If you don't like the sound, why post in the appreciation thread in the first place? I don't understand this. If you want to argue about its sound, then you need to create a separate "UE600 criticism" thread or something. This thread is to share appreciation for the sound of the IEM, not to bash it.


Edited by Pianist - 3/13/12 at 6:29am
post #19 of 53
You obviously aren't reading my posts (if you read my post carefully, you'll notice that what I say doesn't pertain directly to the 600s...). So if you don't want to read my post, I'm not going to even take the time to respond to your condescending attitude. I do feel that you are putting the strength of the 600s way out of proportion when you are doing these comparisons... If it was really that good, we would have figured it out when the SuperFi 5 was released, but we didn't rolleyes.gif
Edited by tinyman392 - 3/13/12 at 8:29am
post #20 of 53

Hey guys! I just got myself a pair to try since i needed some good isolation at a reasonable price. I don't know how much burn in they would need but I only have a couple hours on them and I've noticed a hissing sound coming from them, especially when i pause the music. Anyone else experiencing this?

post #21 of 53

I don't doubt the quality of sound from these in ears.

 

My only QUESTION is its DURABILITY??

 

WILL IT LAST FOR ATLEAST 3 YEARS?? IF I TAKE CARE OF THEM LIKE BABIES.. AS THEY ARE KIND OF EXPENSIVE!!

post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad07 View Post

I don't doubt the quality of sound from these in ears.

 

My only QUESTION is its DURABILITY??

 

WILL IT LAST FOR ATLEAST 3 YEARS?? IF I TAKE CARE OF THEM LIKE BABIES.. AS THEY ARE KIND OF EXPENSIVE!!

 

Hell no, I doubt they will last 6 months. Very poor strain reliefs at the earpieces, non existent strain relief at the jack. It's just waiting to short out on you eventually.

post #23 of 53

So Your purchase of UE600 lasted 6 months..

 

What about others guys.. Pour out your thoughts; cause durability is One aspect I don't want to leave behind when I shell out 100$ LoL ;)


Edited by sivad07 - 5/22/12 at 5:03am
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad07 View Post

So Your purchase of UE600 lasted 6 months..

 

What about others guys.. Pour out your thoughts; cause durability is One aspect I don't want to leave behind when I shell out 100$ LoL ;)

You already started another thread and everybody tried to dissuade you from buying them... Sounds like your heart is set on these ue600? Their only redeeming feature is that one side is red and the other black so it's easy to tell left from right. You will be disappointed if you spend $100. Durability looks ok to me but no different to the durability you'd get out of $20 earphones. They won't last 3 years no way.

post #25 of 53

Yeah had started the thread.. I found it appropriate to ask this question here as there were people who already used UE600 here giving their appreciation towards this earphone.

 

The fact that I have already made online payment a month back and have not yet received this product makes me ever more restless to get the answer on durability, which is the only issue which bothers me most.

 

Once I am clear about this issue I would cancel my order and get the refund. The vendor called me to say i would be receiving the same in about 7 to 8 days. So Now you know Why I am pestering the Users of UE600 to give their feed back on durability.

 

And could you suggest me any other alternative (100$ in ear headphones having good sound, comfort, noise isolation and durability)


Edited by sivad07 - 5/22/12 at 6:49am
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad07 View Post

Yeah had started the thread.. I found it appropriate to ask this question here as there were people who already used UE600 here giving their appreciation towards this earphone.

 

The fact that I have already made online payment a month back and have not yet received this product makes me ever more restless to get the answer on durability, which is the only issue which bothers me most.

 

Once I am clear about this issue I would cancel my order and get the refund. The vendor called me to say i would be receiving the same in about 7 to 8 days. So Now you know Why I am pestering the Users of UE600 to give their feed back on durability.

 

And could you suggest me any other alternative (100$ in ear headphones having good sound, comfort, noise isolation and durability)

so far I've honestly felt like durability isnt really a problem here...obviously they're not gunna be as well built as full size cans but unless your seriously careless with them and abuse them...they shouldnt be a problem. I think for 100 dollars, theyre a pretty good bang for the buck. Clarity on these things are very good for the price and i think the signature on these are fairly neutral. The isolation is really quite good as well. Not quite on par with the shure SE series after comparig them to SE535 and 215 but still quite good. Also i should note that i think UE makes some of the most comfortable tips out there.

 

Only problem i have as i have pointed out before and have listed again right below this...there seems to be a little bit of sibilance when its plugged into a power source and its not a big deal when music is playing but once the music stops it really is a bit out there...not sure why its there...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

Hey guys! I just got myself a pair to try since i needed some good isolation at a reasonable price. I don't know how much burn in they would need but I only have a couple hours on them and I've noticed a hissing sound coming from them, especially when i pause the music. Anyone else experiencing this?

Anything guys? Anyone else hearing it?

post #27 of 53
I have had the older version for over two years, in that time i have had to replace the plug around a year ago and the casing came apart on the left ear piece this also caused the connection between the armature to be severed but it soldered back on easily and they are still going strong. They have been used almost daily cycling travelling etc... So they haven't exactly had an easy life i however think they have lasted well and the sound is still properly impressive.

With regard to the hissing when no audio is playing. This noise is coming from your source (capacitors i think) it is audible due to the low impedance(16ohms) as the resistance of the driver usually filters out this background hiss and the volume of the hiss is caused by the high sensitivity of the armatures.

E.g.. The hiss from my amp is really quite loud on my pair but with my beyer dt770 pro 80ohm It is inaudible due to the higher impedance and lower sensitivity

A way to remove the hiss on your 600's is to buy/make a resistance adapter and put it between the amplifier/source and the iem's this will eliminate the hiss and add a touch of refinement to the top end. 75ohm is perfect darthsmile.gif
post #28 of 53

I know this is an old thread, but a huge deal on this IEM on 1sale.com  34.99 free shipping.  I grabbed one.

post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsax View Post
 

I know this is an old thread, but a huge deal on this IEM on 1sale.com  34.99 free shipping.  I grabbed one.

Let us know how it turns out - another member was wary of whether you would actually get a new retail box as advertised - I have never had an issue with the site, so I think you're good - but it would be nice to know.

post #30 of 53
I finally received these today. It took 3 weeks but they showed up brand new and factory sealed. First impressions are really good. Value is obviously there but won't have much chance to really sit down and listen to them much this week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears 600 appreciation thread