Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yoga headphones - Where to get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yoga headphones - Where to get? - Page 2

post #16 of 26

I am considering ordering a variant of the 003. And, I had the same thought. There's an even less expensive source which may

be available. Anyway, please PM me if this is an option (to do a group buy). Thanks.

post #17 of 26

It's been about a day, and I haven't gotten a reply yet. If I don't get a reply by Monday, I'll definitely call them. Great to see a good bit of enthusiasm over it.

post #18 of 26

Hey guys...  before expectations get too high, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that its probably not gonna happen.

 

Yoga is a professional ODM/OEM for other brands - and in fact they are one of the best around.  As such, they do NOT sell to the general public.  Doing so would place them in direct competition with their own customers - and breaks one of the most sacred rules of being an ODM/OEM. 

 

And the idea of a group buy isn't gonna help either as they tend to deal in MOQs (minimum order quantities) that would not be considered feasible here.  What I mean is that unless you're prepared to place an order for at least 3,000-5,000 units (depending on the model), you're not even gonna be a blip on the radar to their sales staff.  And even then, they're NOT about to risk their business with Fischer/Brainwavs/etc. by selling a few thousand units direct-to-consumer.

 

In addition, while it is the name of their company, the "Yoga" brand itself is also kind of a dummy brand as it is only used mainly to show typical branding placement and such.  They don't go around marketing under that brand - as I'm sure a lot of you have figured out by now.  Tyll kind of messed up a little bit by talking about them at Inner Fidelity.  Companies like Yoga tend to show up at trade shows like CES all the time, but there's a general "understanding" in the industry that their presence is supposed to be somewhat transparent.

 

P.S. ~ For the record, a lot of the guys at Yoga speak English just fine.  Mandarin-speaking abilities are not a factor here.

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Hey guys...  before expectations get too high, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that its probably not gonna happen.

 

Yoga is a professional ODM/OEM for other brands - and in fact they are one of the best around.  As such, they do NOT sell to the general public.  Doing so would place them in direct competition with their own customers - and breaks one of the most sacred rules of being an ODM/OEM. 

 

And the idea of a group buy isn't gonna help either as they tend to deal in MOQs (minimum order quantities) that would not be considered feasible here.  What I mean is that unless you're prepared to place an order for at least 3,000-5,000 units (depending on the model), you're not even gonna be a blip on the radar to their sales staff.  And even then, they're NOT about to risk their business with Fischer/Brainwavs/etc. by selling a few thousand units direct-to-consumer.

 

In addition, while it is the name of their company, the "Yoga" brand itself is also kind of a dummy brand as it is only used mainly to show typical branding placement and such.  They don't go around marketing under that brand - as I'm sure a lot of you have figured out by now.  Tyll kind of messed up a little bit by talking about them at Inner Fidelity.  Companies like Yoga tend to show up at trade shows like CES all the time, but there's a general "understanding" in the industry that their presence is supposed to be somewhat transparent.

 

P.S. ~ For the record, a lot of the guys at Yoga speak English just fine.  Mandarin-speaking abilities are not a factor here.

 

I've seen quite a few headphones bearing this 'Yoga' brand at some 'Walmart' syle electronics stores and even Jaycar.

post #20 of 26

And that would definitely be the exception rather than the rule.  Dumping units that:  (A) do not meet the customer's QC requirements; (B) are an unused/alternate revision that uses different drivers/damping; or (C) rebadging customer returns are a fairly common practice for ODMs/OEMs/CMs.  BTW, by "customer" I mean companies like Fischer/Brainwavs/etc.  But my main point is that Yoga is a very reputable company, and their sales staff are rather professional in terms of representing the company and abiding by it's ethical standards, so it is very unlikely that end users are going to have much luck in getting their hands on a few units at a discount.

 

If you guys are successful at it, my congrats in advance.  Just wanted everyone to keep expectations at a reasonable level because disappointment can suck big time.  That was all.  regular_smile%20.gif

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

And that would definitely be the exception rather than the rule.  Dumping units that:  (A) do not meet the customer's QC requirements; (B) are an unused/alternate revision that uses different drivers/damping; or (C) rebadging customer returns are a fairly common practice for ODMs/OEMs/CMs.  BTW, by "customer" I mean companies like Fischer/Brainwavs/etc.  But my main point is that Yoga is a very reputable company, and their sales staff are rather professional in terms of representing the company and abiding by it's ethical standards, so it is very unlikely that end users are going to have much luck in getting their hands on a few units at a discount.

 

If you guys are successful at it, my congrats in advance.  Just wanted everyone to keep expectations at a reasonable level because disappointment can suck big time.  That was all.  regular_smile%20.gif

 

These weren't dumped units, they were just normal cheap headphones bearing their name on the packaging.

 

This is an example of one.

 

http://reviews.dicksmith.com.au/8465-en_au/C6534/reviews.htm


Edited by ProjectDenz - 6/10/12 at 2:56am
post #22 of 26

Yes, I understand what you mean.

 

For the record, there are certain Yoga models (particularly their IEMs) that end up not being picked up by customers.  Still, design (CAD) and production (tooling) and packaging (die-line) costs need to be recouped so these get released under the Yoga brand for the sake of reducing losses.  They are a business after all.  Here are some empty IEM packages I just happen to have on hand:

 

empty_yoga_iem_pkgs.jpg

 

But the likelihood of finding some of their most popular and most expensive full-size circumaural models (like the CD-880) will be exceedingly rare at best - particularly if that unit or its variants are currently offered as a model by one of their customers.  I'm not saying it will be impossible to get them - just highly unlikely.

 

And FWIW, dumping units by rebadging them and repackaging them is a relatively easy thing to do.  I'm not going to get into it here, but I can tell you that models that were destined to once be Ficshers or Brainwavs could be easily be changed to a Yoga-branded items.  All they would need to do is replace the outer rim of those earcups with Yoga branded rims (a little bit of rework), and then put them into different packaging.  It's not rocket science.  But as it would possibly cause confusion on the market and mess with their customers, it most likely would not be done.  And even if it were, you'd only find them in China, Malaysia, etc.

post #23 of 26

I agree, makes sense.

post #24 of 26

Still, I wish you guys the best of luck.  Though it seems to me that there's an easier way to go about this.  Maybe the powers that be at Head-Fi can arrange for a special group buy (or Head-Fi edition) directly with Fischer or Brainwavs.  For promotional reasons, it would be worth it for either of those two companies to get their products into the hands of audiophiles who can then recommended those units to others with a certain amount of credibility.

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Still, I wish you guys the best of luck.  Though it seems to me that there's an easier way to go about this.  Maybe the powers that be at Head-Fi can arrange for a special group buy (or Head-Fi edition) directly with Fischer or Brainwavs.  For promotional reasons, it would be worth it for either of those two companies to get their products into the hands of audiophiles who can then recommended those units to others with a certain amount of credibility.

Agreed, but I have a funny feeling that even at group buy prices, Jaycar will still be cheaper. Maybe they'd be a better choice.

post #26 of 26

edit: These aren't FA-002W are these?

 

Looks snazzy, I wonder if someone is selling these. biggrin.gif

 

p_120620_07422.jpg

 

p_120620_07423.jpg

 

http://www.yoga.com.tw/en/2_2000_60588/product/25th_Anniversary_Headphone_id346448.html


Edited by hekeli - 7/15/12 at 7:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yoga headphones - Where to get?