It really was a great little meet and I felt I got a lot more critical listening than most other meets I had been to...partially due to the small size of the group and great equipment on hand.
Couple things I learned from this meet:
1) HD800s are still my favorite not stat headphones out there...more people should take these seriously instead of going with the trendier LCD2/3. Really a great combo with the Apex Peak / Volcano, which is a reasonably priced setup in my eyes.
2) Still don't understand why ppl like Thunderpants. Every time I try them they sound really wonky and tonally off to me.
3) It was a toss up for me between the O2 through KGSS and the HD800 through Apex Peak. I can see how people would have both depending on music they listen to.
4) Grado PS500, while extremely uncomfortable and looked like cheap plastic, were a very pleasant surprise for me! I actually greatly enjoyed listening to these through the Peak. Great performance / price headphone by my book!
5) SR-009 is really an awesome headphone, even powered from a KGSS! I can't believe i've had these in my closet for the past 7 months and haven't been able to listen to them up until now, which makes my wait for the BHSE oh so much more painful. I was really worried about brightness issues people were talking about but none of us in the room heard the slightest bit of harsh treble / glare. Bass was very very satisfying out the PWD mk.II but not as great from the Ayon cd player which shows you how important a good source is with such headphones. Overall, I had no complaints whatsoever with the headphones and they managed to image way better than any other headphone i'd heard up till now. I do agree with thinker that a word to sum them up would be 'natural' in a sense that they are spot on tonally and sound extremely close to real life.
6) I love my PWD :) Not really sure how much better a $10-15k source would be than this.
We definitely need to have another meet in a few months with more people possibly. Hopefully by then I'll have a proper amp to drive my headphones.
Here are a couple more photos I snapped from my iPhone.