or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The hate on beats, why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The hate on beats, why? - Page 35  

post #511 of 1217
Sometimes I think CB is a reclusive millionaire who buys any headphone he wants... I'll trade places with ya!
post #512 of 1217

Aha, I finally found this picture! A few months ago, I swapped the drivers of the Solo HD with that of the Pro Detox just for fun. Of course, they were exactly the same, so they fit and everything. The sound remained unchanged even after swapping them around.

 

 

This picture also gives you an idea of the difference in cavity size between the two.

post #513 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

Aha, I finally found this picture! A few months ago, I swapped the drivers of the Solo HD with that of the Pro Detox just for fun. Of course, they were exactly the same, so they fit and everything. The sound remained unchanged even after swapping them around.

 

 

This picture also gives you an idea of the difference in cavity size between the two.

They actually fit?! Wow, you are a DIY god, Vantt. 

You should, like, mod some headphones and sell them like how MrSpeakers and LFF did their mods on the T50RP. But still...daaamn.

post #514 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

They actually fit?! Wow, you are a DIY god, Vantt. 
You should, like, mod some headphones and sell them like how MrSpeakers and LFF did their mods on the T50RP. But still...daaamn.
damn straight! Lol. They are the same drivers after all... And they seem to be tuned the same then... Well, they saved some cash not having to change it from can to can...
post #515 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


damn straight! Lol. They are the same drivers after all... And they seem to be tuned the same then... Well, they saved some cash not having to change it from can to can...

They saved some cash...and made even more, considering they used the same driver on the Pro, a $400 can which sounds exactly the same as a $125 fake with the same earpads.

 

Yes, I managed to procure the original pads, and they sound very similar if not exactly the same. 

post #516 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

They actually fit?! Wow, you are a DIY god, Vantt. 

You should, like, mod some headphones and sell them like how MrSpeakers and LFF did their mods on the T50RP. But still...daaamn.


damn straight! Lol. They are the same drivers after all... And they seem to be tuned the same then... Well, they saved some cash not having to change it from can to can...

They're not exactly the same. As I mentioned before, the Solo HDs have a tweeter in front of the big driver, so they have a high-pass+low pass crossover stuck on the back of the drivers. Pretty innovative of Beats, to be honest. I don't know any other set that has more than one physical dynamic driver. Balanced armature IEMs don't count.

 

post #517 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

They're not exactly the same. As I mentioned before, the Solo HDs have a tweeter in front of the big driver, so they have a high-pass+low pass crossover stuck on the back of the drivers. Pretty innovative of Beats, to be honest. I don't know any other set that has more than one physical dynamic driver. Balanced armature IEMs don't count.

 

I remember that someone mentioned a JVC can with a 55MM sub driver and a tweeter inside on the Audiophile Bass Lounge.

post #518 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

I remember that someone mentioned a JVC can with a 55MM sub driver and a tweeter inside on the Audiophile Bass Lounge.
Also the Final Audio Design line of full-sized headphones. They use a dynamic driver for the lower end of the spectrum and a balanced armature for the higher end.
post #519 of 1217
Yeah, there are tons of cans that have multiple dynamic drivers.
post #520 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod View Post


Also the Final Audio Design line of full-sized headphones. They use a dynamic driver for the lower end of the spectrum and a balanced armature for the higher end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Yeah, there are tons of cans that have multiple dynamic drivers.

 

Speaking of Final Audio Design, I remember seeing a picture of the VIs here in this thread, but it disappeared.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


I actually think they look rather beautiful. Metal, smooth cylindrical body... Wow. How much are they?

Where did it go?

post #521 of 1217

That was me. Not sure where it went. 

 

 

Here's the earpiece without the pad:

 

post #522 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

That was me. Not sure where it went. 

 

 

Here's the earpiece without the pad:

 

Daaaamn. That is one classy headphone. Knowing FAD, they should be worth the price, right? I hear they're about $700, which pits them against the Alpha Dogs et al. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to see one in my hands in the foreseeable future, but daaamn. 

 

Also, is that a Vamp Verza I see there?

post #523 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

Daaaamn. That is one classy headphone. Knowing FAD, they should be worth the price, right? I hear they're about $700, which pits them against the Alpha Dogs et al. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to see one in my hands in the foreseeable future, but daaamn. 

 

Also, is that a Vamp Verza I see there?

 

Correct on all counts. Cheapest you can find them is $700, they're usually more in the $800+ area, and with the exception of one place in California there's no one in the Western hemisphere that sells them. Absolutely STELLAR headphones. I've never heard a headphone where all ends of the spectrum somehow seem to be powerful without the overall sound being "clinical". The highs are sparkly, bass is powerful, mids full, but it's all incredibly alive and vibrant. I could gush about the things for days. I haven't heard the Alphas, but I know that I had a credit card in my hand and was ready to go for HE-500s (the HE-6 was great but didn't warrant its cost) or LCD2s and decided on these instead. 

 

EDIT: I see you're in China so there's a handful of Jabens out there that have 'em. Go check them out if any of them are nearby! http://final-audio-design.com/en/shops


Edited by SomeGuyDude - 5/18/14 at 8:07am
post #524 of 1217

No hate, just overpriced!

post #525 of 1217
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post
Yeah, there are tons of cans that have multiple dynamic drivers.

 

Yep...I bought a little, dual-driver (40mm / 13mm), Phiaton PS320 to try the multi-driver cans and was pleasantly surprised!  They have a great form factor, nice balanced sound, leather pads, $60 on Amazon.  

 

ClieOS calls them the on-ear equivalent of Etymotic (more below) are spot on from my perspective.  Probably not a Beats fanboy's first choice...but they compliment my Vmoda M80s very well. Easy to drive, too!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/phiaton-ps-320/reviews/3843 

"One of the strong points of PS320 is the relatively neutral FR that extends very far to both ends, no doubt the benefit of having two drivers instead of one. Bass, though is not in abundance, is very precise and well extends to almost 20Hz. It is what I’ll like to describe as ‘quality bass’. Mid, as I have mentioned, can be just a tad too dry without EQ. While it is comparatively a weak spot in the whole sound signature, it is not really a turn down by any means. Treble pretty much goes as far as my hearing limitation at around 17.5Hz (till I can’t tell whether it is still going up or not).  It is very clean and sparkly, quite forward, bright and full of micro detail. This is by far the most linear of any headphone I have ever heard. Soundstage is decent, though nothing spectacular."

 

Would recommend trying the EQing he suggests..."give PS320 a little mid-bass bump. It doesn’t take much either, just EQ +2~3dB in the 250Hz region and we are cooking!"  For me, the bump was small as well but more around 500hz.

 

Amazing little head phone for $60


Edited by GearMe - 5/18/14 at 9:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The hate on beats, why?