or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The hate on beats, why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The hate on beats, why? - Page 34  

post #496 of 1217

I often wonder why people harp on the drivers being whatever size or the same from model to model when it's such a common technique among headphone manufacturers. Beats wouldn't even be the worst offender (that would be Sennheiser). And there are lots of big expensive over-ear cans that use a 40mm driver, to boot. 

post #497 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post

Trust me, they are only 40 mm



Get caught for what?

Notice how I didn't mention anything about audio quality(!). Pretty much as soon as I got the Studios and Executives, the first thing I did was cut the ANC mics. At least it's one less flaw I had to deal with.
you are truly a modification god. You amaze me. You should create a hardcore modification thread, and you should also update your profile with your headphones and mods on them.
post #498 of 1217
Hmm... Beats are an odd bunch. They all use the same driver, but all have different distortion characteristics, and different bass handling capabilities. Quite odd.
post #499 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Hmm... Beats are an odd bunch. They all use the same driver, but all have different distortion characteristics, and different bass handling capabilities. Quite odd.

They probably have something to do with the housing and ANC circuits. Koss also had a few models using the same driver, but different sound. Also, I recall reading that the iGrado used the same drivers as the SR60i (or was it the 80i?).

post #500 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Hmm... Beats are an odd bunch. They all use the same driver, but all have different distortion characteristics, and different bass handling capabilities. Quite odd.

 

Enclosures matter more than people seem to realize. The headphone is a lot more than simply a speaker placed near your ear. That's why you can take a $100 headphone like the Fostex T50rp and mod it to be a $500+ headphone. ZMF and MrSpeakers aren't swapping the drivers out, it's all about the enclosure. Grado modders know that just popping a few holes in the felt can change the bass extension. Hell, just getting a different set of earpads can have a huge effect on the sound. 

 

You see it in car audio as well. You give a guy a $100 subwoofer and he can make it outperform a $500 woofer if he gives it the right box. It's unfair to call companies "cheap" or "lazy" like some do when their headphone models use the same raw driver, because the level of engineering and R&D that can go into more and more carefully tuned enclosures easily warrants the added cost when compared to low ends that are little more than clamps holding the speaker in place. 

post #501 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

They probably have something to do with the housing and ANC circuits. Koss also had a few models using the same driver, but different sound. Also, I recall reading that the iGrado used the same drivers as the SR60i (or was it the 80i?).

 

I believe several Grado headphones use the same driver when in the same "family". Sennheiser definitely does this (the famed 555 -> 595 mod), Beats obviously does, and I'd be willing to bet in many cases IEM companies aren't putting particularly high end drivers in their products in favor of really honing in the surrounding hardware. 

post #502 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I believe several Grado headphones use the same driver when in the same "family". 

 

Agreed.

 

A lot of people get pretty upset when you say it, however..

 

:wink_face:

post #503 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Enclosures matter more than people seem to realize. The headphone is a lot more than simply a speaker placed near your ear. That's why you can take a $100 headphone like the Fostex T50rp and mod it to be a $500+ headphone. ZMF and MrSpeakers aren't swapping the drivers out, it's all about the enclosure. Grado modders know that just popping a few holes in the felt can change the bass extension. Hell, just getting a different set of earpads can have a huge effect on the sound. 

You see it in car audio as well. You give a guy a $100 subwoofer and he can make it outperform a $500 woofer if he gives it the right box. It's unfair to call companies "cheap" or "lazy" like some do when their headphone models use the same raw driver, because the level of engineering and R&D that can go into more and more carefully tuned enclosures easily warrants the added cost when compared to low ends that are little more than clamps holding the speaker in place. 
yeah, I know that the enclosure is the entire sound signature. I've opened up both of my headphones, and the 55's are way simpler. Just a dual stream bass port, quad driver ports and two diaphragm ports, with a simple plastic enclosure. The akg's when I looked inside were too complex to make me want to go any further. :/ it has a bunch of clear plastic rods in front of the driver, and the 6 foam diaphragm things... And I have no idea how any of it works! The beats studios and executives look like an absolute nightmare to even think about touching. I wouldn't even think about it until I was shown in detail how to. Ah... I love headphones. I almost want to design one, and take the drivers off of something and slap them in my design...
post #504 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I believe several Grado headphones use the same driver when in the same "family". Sennheiser definitely does this (the famed 555 -> 595 mod), Beats obviously does, and I'd be willing to bet in many cases IEM companies aren't putting particularly high end drivers in their products in favor of really honing in the surrounding hardware. 

The housings do make a difference, that's for sure.

post #505 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


yeah, I know that the enclosure is the entire sound signature. I've opened up both of my headphones, and the 55's are way simpler. Just a dual stream bass port, quad driver ports and two diaphragm ports, with a simple plastic enclosure. The akg's when I looked inside were too complex to make me want to go any further. :/ it has a bunch of clear plastic rods in front of the driver, and the 6 foam diaphragm things... And I have no idea how any of it works! The beats studios and executives look like an absolute nightmare to even think about touching. I wouldn't even think about it until I was shown in detail how to. Ah... I love headphones. I almost want to design one, and take the drivers off of something and slap them in my design...

 

Yeah man, I've always thought about the same. Looking into the minutiae of headphone design, maybe picking up a lower-end pair of Grados or Superlux and seeing what I can come up with. I'm a rank amateur on this kinda stuff but I've done a fair amount of car audio and it's honestly fun as hell. Plus with headphones it's a LOT less messy, LOL. 

 

Popping the FAD Pandoras earpad off was illuminating just because I got a glimpse at the innards and frankly I have no idea what's going on here:

 

 

 

It's amazing what goes on with these tiny little diaphragms sitting next to our heads that causes them to sound like they do. 

post #506 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Agreed.

 

A lot of people get pretty upset when you say it, however..

 

:wink_face:

 

Has this been proven? Granted they do look the same but the MS-Pro is a bajillion times better than the MS-1

post #507 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

 

Has this been proven? Granted they do look the same but the MS-Pro is a bajillion times better than the MS-1

 

MS-pro and and the MS1 are different families, I believe..

post #508 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

MS-pro and and the MS1 are different families, I believe..

 

From what I gathered, it's like the SR225/325 are the same driver, the RS1/2 are the same driver, 60i/80i are the same, like that.

post #509 of 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

They probably have something to do with the housing and ANC circuits. Koss also had a few models using the same driver, but different sound. Also, I recall reading that the iGrado used the same drivers as the SR60i (or was it the 80i?).

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

All the larger on/over ear Beats share the exact same "Titanium Coated" 40 mm driver. Yes, the Solos, Solo HD, Studio, Pro, Detox, Wireless, Executive and Mixr. The difference in sound lies in the enclosure and cushion type (and in some special cases, the circuit). The Solos have a very small enclosure and a conical driver cage, which makes them sound bassier. The Solo HD has a second physical tweeter in the apex of this conical enclosure, kinda balancing it out.

 

The Studios have a semi-closed enclosure, but due to the nature of the two-axis pivot system, they leak sound a lot. Also, they have the ANC circuit to boost bass and stuff. The same goes with the Executives, but because they are only single-axis and have improved cushions, they leak a lot less sound. They do however share the exact same circuit that the Studio 1.0 uses.

 

The Pro/Detox have the largest enclosure, so they are less IEM-like (small enclosure, bigger bass) and more speaker-like (bass tends to be very weak with most single driver speakers that have relatively small drivers.

 

The Mixrs I haven't figured out yet. They are advertised to be Beats' loudest headphone, which they are, but they don't have an active circuit like the Studios do, yet the Mixrs are louder than the Studios. 

I got the Pros and Executives solely based on the fact that they're made of aluminum. The Executives were a mistake. But yes, jny321 is truly an ignorant pseudo-audiophile. "The quality sucks" is unsubstantiated and "The design sucks" is merely personal opinion. Frankly, I quite like the Beats' design. They're portable (foldable), have a detachable cable, have nice cables, come with a carry case and in most cases very comfortable for me.

 

They only keep breaking on me probably because I either mod the crap out of it or use it for purposes not intended.

post #510 of 1217
At this juncture I would like to announce my fondness of beats headphones - I own quite a few of them and they are welcome additions to my headcan collection or my headcannery as I like to call it.

I also like lots of other brands too - I just don't get the beats bandwagon haters at all - thought it was waining off - but it still persists as in shoddy review already remarked upon by other members on this thread.

Er....beats are nice and shiny, sound good and do good commercials smily_headphones1.gif but are overpriced mad.gif



Les Twins in mixr ad below - awesome cool.gif




tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto8_500_zps47a7aa97.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto7_500_zps4c208bbe.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto6_500_zps6e6427cf.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto5_500_zpsca20d271.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto4_500_zps85c6beae.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto3_500_zps45b69a14.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto2_500_zpsdc721e1c.gif
tumblr_mn4vx5ydCO1sqgsbto1_500_zps66fab213.gif

Edited by cb3723 - 5/17/14 at 1:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The hate on beats, why?