New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

I took the foam off the earpads of the M50s, but I also took out the foam in the back of the driver. I looked at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551679/how-to-make-m50s-mid-less-recessed-increase-soundstage-56k

 

Was it a bad idea doing this? confused_face_2.gif

 

Thanks,

 

LazBro123

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

anyone?

post #3 of 12

Not a bad idea if you enjoy the sound signature.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

Not a bad idea if you enjoy the sound signature.



True, and I like the sound signature a lot more with the two mods I performed on these headphones. 

post #5 of 12

I'd like to address a few things.

 

First, the thread title. Anything that has to do with the M50 is probably not going to get too much attention, due to the ridiculous amount of M50 threads Head-Fi is already plagued with. But the fact it's titled simply, "ATH-50" makes it an anti-magnet for users browsing around. Don't intend to start a reply like this and the fact it has nothing to do with your actual question, but you definitely could have titled it pertaining to your actual question, let alone post it in a pertaining thread.

 

Second, if someone doesn't respond in 15 minutes, there is really no need to double post to bump your thread. For some, it will make them even more unwilling to help, on top of the fact the thread is titled, "ATH-50". Most of the time, someone will see your thread, even if it's on a different page, and respond. Just be patient, but when in doubt, just let it die and post your question in another high traffic thread with similar topic. Or, find someone in that thread you linked, and send them a PM.

 

Now with that out of the way, your question. I honestly don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. I could say, "Yes, it was a horrible mistake", but that wouldn't help matters any. Or, I could tell you, "Nah, you're perfectly fine", which would reassure you of the sound you are hearing is based off of what I'm saying, aka, placebo in a positive effect; yet it would be misdirection on my part. But, most people couldn't answer that question accurately regardless, because that's totally up to you. If it doesn't sound good and you can't reverse the mod, then yeah, it was probably a bad idea. But we can't judge that, only you can. If it sounds good to you, great! That's all there is to it.

 

Not trying to be rude, just informing you based off of what you have given the community.

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

I'd like to address a few things.

 

First, the thread title. Anything that has to do with the M50 is probably not going to get too much attention, due to the ridiculous amount of M50 threads Head-Fi is already plagued with. But the fact it's titled simply, "ATH-50" makes it an anti-magnet for users browsing around. Don't intend to start a reply like this and the fact it has nothing to do with your actual question, but you definitely could have titled it pertaining to your actual question, let alone post it in a pertaining thread.

 

Second, if someone doesn't respond in 15 minutes, there is really no need to double post to bump your thread. For some, it will make them even more unwilling to help, on top of the fact the thread is titled, "ATH-50". Most of the time, someone will see your thread, even if it's on a different page, and respond. Just be patient, but when in doubt, just let it die and post your question in another high traffic thread with similar topic. Or, find someone in that thread you linked, and send them a PM.

 

Now with that out of the way, your question. I honestly don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. I could say, "Yes, it was a horrible mistake", but that wouldn't help matters any. Or, I could tell you, "Nah, you're perfectly fine", which would reassure you of the sound you are hearing is based off of what I'm saying, aka, placebo in a positive effect; yet it would be misdirection on my part. But, most people couldn't answer that question accurately regardless, because that's totally up to you. If it doesn't sound good and you can't reverse the mod, then yeah, it was probably a bad idea. But we can't judge that, only you can. If it sounds good to you, great! That's all there is to it.

 

Not trying to be rude, just informing you based off of what you have given the community.


So for my next thread, I will write a 10 line title ksc75smile.gif But thanks for the help. I love the sound, but I was just wondering if I should not have done that.

 

post #7 of 12

Heh. Well, at least something that pertains to your actual question or core topic of choice.

 

If you love the sound, than there isn't a problem. After all, music is best enjoyed when it relieves stress, not creates it.

post #8 of 12

Oh, I remember this from a while ago. I remember it made my M50 sound better, but after I sold my pair, I stopped caring about the M50. 

post #9 of 12

I love the sound i get from my M50's, so i wouldn't mod my phones. I am considering a cable mod to shorten the length. I understand why they are so long, but i don't need studio length cord when i use them primarily at home and when i go to school. 

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleether View Post

I love the sound i get from my M50's, so i wouldn't mod my phones. I am considering a cable mod to shorten the length. I understand why they are so long, but i don't need studio length cord when i use them primarily at home and when i go to school. 



The M50s sound without the mods is great, but the two mods I performed on them made them sound more open, and significantly better mids and highs, and a tiny bit more bass quantity and quality. I will show you how to do these mods if you want smily_headphones1.gif

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Heh. Well, at least something that pertains to your actual question or core topic of choice.

 

If you love the sound, than there isn't a problem. After all, music is best enjoyed when it relieves stress, not creates it.


You're right bigsmile_face.gif

 

post #12 of 12

I bought these cans a while ago. I like the pads the way they are. (Not that ive tried others but...)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)