Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › First tour of Xin's SuperDual amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First tour of Xin's SuperDual amp - Page 3

post #31 of 159
Exactly my thought lindrone. I bought the XP-7 to be a desktop amp that COULD travel form time to time. But it is a bit much for me to schlep it on a plane 4-5 times per month. I love the form factor of the SuperMini but am left wanting a little more out of its sound quality. Enter the SuperDual. I really hope it pairs well with both the e5s and ER-4Ps.
post #32 of 159
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your input!

penbat: I will be getting a new XP-7 this week as an adjunct to the SuperDual. I think I would like to have both. I like to hike and bike where every gram of weight counts because of all the other stuff you have to carry. It adds up fast. If I recall, my mindset when packing for a recent 3 week trip to Mexico, I thought of carrying a larger amp (META) and thought, nah! and ended up taking just one SuperMicro along with my laptop. (to watch DVD movies and download from my digi camera). Differences are just too small. I had the little Micro hooked up to two sets of phones and it drove them handily with no problems, btw.

mmortal: I would like to have the battery be removable as well. Its so much easier to carry around just an extra battery than a transformer and cord although the extra functionality afforded by the new 9v jack is great.

kloan: White would be nice, I have a white car and would stay cooler at the beach.

adhoc: This one's not a PPA either. It's warmer and sounds more tube-ish. Xin comes from a place where he probably grew up with the sound of tubes. The PPA is a great sounding amp that really sounds solid state with many of the great attributes of ss. The SD sounds great in its own way.

cmascatello: I would love to hear what you think and hear with the E5's as I don't have those yet. Bet they would synergize well with a SD. Hmmm...maybe I get with lindrone. What do you think, Steve?

stark23x, tbdoah: fortune cookie say: you have good taste!

scottder, asbradbury: yes, we should go with Xin on this, I believe he is more concerned with giving us his best effort. He knows he can sell more amps at the sub $100.00 level.

Thanks, oddball, LTUCCI 1924

Regards,
Bob
post #33 of 159
bobjew,

what kind of mini>mini cable is that and where did you get it?
post #34 of 159
hmmm.

bobjew, please try to give us objective comparisons when your XP-7 arrives.

thanks.
post #35 of 159
This sounds like a really wonderful amp, but I regret the decision not to allow a replacable battery to be used. Especially when one is travelling, taking along yet another wall wart can be quite oppressive, and it works against the portability suggested by one of these supersmall devices.

17 hours is not enough for a medium length trip, making this not the right amp for me.
post #36 of 159
Quote:
Originally posted by Music Fanatic
This sounds like a really wonderful amp, but I regret the decision not to allow a replacable battery to be used. Especially when one is travelling, taking along yet another wall wart can be quite oppressive, and it works against the portability suggested by one of these supersmall devices.

17 hours is not enough for a medium length trip, making this not the right amp for me.
Indeed, being able to open a door and swap out the 9V would be much better.

Scott
post #37 of 159
Quote:
hmmm.

bobjew, please try to give us objective comparisons when your XP-7 arrives.

thanks.
It really bothers me whenever someone specifically makes a request for an objective review, I find it more than slightly offensive.

By saying that, you're making an accusation that the person being addressed would not have been presenting an objective review otherwise.

Have a little respect for the reviewers, people who has been around Head-Fi long enough eventually build some personal relationship with the amp builders and other DIY'ers. By making these type of statements you're basically saying that no experienced Head-Fier will ever be able to do an "objective" review.

And what if a person does a review that doesn't agree with your own personal point of view? Does that automatically disqualify the person's review from being "objective" because you are being "subjective"?..
post #38 of 159
It looks as if, from the the pictures, the battery can be removed. Is it soldered on or something? Or can the case just not normally be opened up? It looks like, from the picture, the thing could EASILY work with a removeable battery.
post #39 of 159
Quote:
Originally posted by mmortal03
It looks as if, from the the pictures, the battery can be removed. Is it soldered on or something? Or can the case just not normally be opened up? It looks like, from the picture, the thing could EASILY work with a removeable battery.
Xin says here: http://www.xintechs.com/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24

"Yes the battery can be easily replaced, but we decide (for now) to seal the case for customer service concerns."
post #40 of 159
Thread Starter 
adhoc: I'm thinking of you...

Found some objective data for you
here are some specs:

http://www.fixup.net/products/benchmarks

you can compare those numbers to these:

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/amp/bench
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/mint/bench

Check out the crosstalk figures, at below-90db this well into Dual Mono territory, This figure alone accounts for the excellent imaging on this amp.

hey mmortal: Yes the battery was left unsealed on my prototype and is removeable. I couldn't show you the bottom of the board without taking out the battery. I think ulimately, Xin will find a solution and the battery will be made removable before the final production models come out. (that was just me speaking)

lindrone: What do you think about putting our heads and phones together. You know I value your opinons greatly.

Kugino: That is the famous Markertek mini to mini. The original was too long so I cut it to the size I needed and added a Switchcraft 90 degree metal jack. The Markertek is quite a good sounding cable, although I had been prefering a Homegrown Audio silver braided lately with Xin's amps. I'm not using the silver because it broke. I diy'ed that cable and it was quite fragile at the contacts. A lot of strain relief is necessary to keep it from breaking free. JMT sells a similar one and I might just get him to make me a new one.
post #41 of 159
Quote:
lindrone: What do you think about putting our heads and phones together. You know I value your opinons greatly.
We should definitely do that, let's see if we've got some time this weekend or next week to meet up and go through a couple of headphones together
post #42 of 159
Quote:
Originally posted by bobjew


Kugino: That is the famous Markertek mini to mini. The original was too long so I cut it to the size I needed and added a Switchcraft 90 degree metal jack. The Markertek is quite a good sounding cable, although I had been prefering a Homegrown Audio silver braided lately with Xin's amps. I'm not using the silver because it broke. I diy'ed that cable and it was quite fragile at the contacts. A lot of strain relief is necessary to keep it from breaking free. JMT sells a similar one and I might just get him to make me a new one.
thanks, bobjew. i like the length of the one you have...maybe i can find someone to make me one, too.
post #43 of 159
Thread Starter 
Kugino:

It's 7" long and Markertek may be able to build you a custom one. I will look for a link. This is a tricky cable to order because it comes in both stereo and mono. Quite inexpensive for the quality though.

Also went to JMT's website and he's no longer there! Anyone know what happened?
post #44 of 159
So these can only be had in green, red, or blue? No black or grey or silver?
post #45 of 159
You can have red, green, blue or grey.

Can someone do a quick idiots guide for the cable required from a SD to an Ipod ? Would it be best to use line-out or the earphone socket ? I think i would want the cable as short as possible for portable use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › First tour of Xin's SuperDual amp