Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members - Page 6

post #76 of 503


It's truly a great state of transcendence, you will know and see all at once; nothing is beyond your purview.  floatsmile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDwebe View Post



Can't wait.

 

I'm gonna be an expert on EVERYTHING!

 

 

 



 

post #77 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


It's truly a great state of transcendence, you will know and see all at once; nothing is beyond your purview.  floatsmile.png



 



 

“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite”

 

 -William Blake

 

 smile.gif

 

post #78 of 503

As a regular poster on the headphone guidance threads, I'll be the first to admit that I do recommend headphones that I've never heard.But at the same time, I try to avoid giving definitive opinions and encourage people to do some more in-depth research themselves. And while I agree that getting an opinion or recommendation from someone who owns the headphones is ideal, the issue is that that's not always possible. The recommendations thread is one of the first places many people go when they first post on Head-Fi, when they don't really know much about headphones, about the different sound signatures, soundstage, open versus closed, etc. And the problem is, there's too many people looking for advice, and not enough giving it. People post on that thread asking for advice on pretty much every kind of headphone imaginable, and there's very few people on here who will have heard all of them, and most of the people who have don't deign to spend their time in those types of threads. Now this isn't a knock against you more experienced guys, but I do think that this forum needs more people like ljokerl, who are willing to give their time and experience back to the community. 

 

I fully recognize that I'm not even the next best person to ask when it comes to many of these headphones, but I do think that by reading enough reviews and comparisons with headphones that I do own, I am qualified enough to point people in the right direction regarding general categories of headphones (i.e. open v. closed, fun v. neutral, etc.), and to give some examples of popular models that fit their criteria. As much as possible, I try to point them to individual reviews and dedicated threads that can give them more specific details. However, many of the people who need help don't necessarily have the time to do all that research on their own, and need a centralized place where they can ask for advice.

 

In addition, I don't think that owning a particular headphone makes you an expert in terms of recommending them either. Many early headfiers (myself included), have a tendency to recommend their own headphones in very strong terms to others, partly because that's what they have the most experience with, partly because they haven't heard anything else, and partly because they like to think the made the right purchase. Though I don't agree with everything mbamg has said, I do think that there is a certain degree of value in reading other people's reviews and other people's comparisons to other headphones.

 

I have more specific answers and things to say, but I lost track of my final point, so I might as well stop here before it gets any longer.

 

TL;DR: It's possible to be somewhat helpful in recommending headphones you haven't heard, and owning a specific model doesn't make you an expert automatically. Also, we need more experienced people giving advice to the newer ones.

 

P.S. And yes, I am still in school

post #79 of 503

I'll agree with this at face value. I think, perhaps, part of the issue comes from what you're describing though - those with the experience and learning know there is much more to experience and learn ("a wise man knows that he knows nothing"). 
 

Quote:

TL;DR: It's possible to be somewhat helpful in recommending headphones you haven't heard, and owning a specific model doesn't make you an expert automatically. Also, we need more experienced people giving advice to the newer ones.

 

P.S. And yes, I am still in school



 

post #80 of 503
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

As a regular poster on the headphone guidance threads, I'll be the first to admit that I do recommend headphones that I've never heard.But at the same time, I try to avoid giving definitive opinions and encourage people to do some more in-depth research themselves. And while I agree that getting an opinion or recommendation from someone who owns the headphones is ideal, the issue is that that's not always possible. The recommendations thread is one of the first places many people go when they first post on Head-Fi, when they don't really know much about headphones, about the different sound signatures, soundstage, open versus closed, etc. And the problem is, there's too many people looking for advice, and not enough giving it. People post on that thread asking for advice on pretty much every kind of headphone imaginable, and there's very few people on here who will have heard all of them, and most of the people who have don't deign to spend their time in those types of threads. Now this isn't a knock against you more experienced guys, but I do think that this forum needs more people like ljokerl, who are willing to give their time and experience back to the community. 

 

I fully recognize that I'm not even the next best person to ask when it comes to many of these headphones, but I do think that by reading enough reviews and comparisons with headphones that I do own, I am qualified enough to point people in the right direction regarding general categories of headphones (i.e. open v. closed, fun v. neutral, etc.), and to give some examples of popular models that fit their criteria. As much as possible, I try to point them to individual reviews and dedicated threads that can give them more specific details. However, many of the people who need help don't necessarily have the time to do all that research on their own, and need a centralized place where they can ask for advice.

 

In addition, I don't think that owning a particular headphone makes you an expert in terms of recommending them either. Many early headfiers (myself included), have a tendency to recommend their own headphones in very strong terms to others, partly because that's what they have the most experience with, partly because they haven't heard anything else, and partly because they like to think the made the right purchase. Though I don't agree with everything mbamg has said, I do think that there is a certain degree of value in reading other people's reviews and other people's comparisons to other headphones.

 

I have more specific answers and things to say, but I lost track of my final point, so I might as well stop here before it gets any longer.

 

TL;DR: It's possible to be somewhat helpful in recommending headphones you haven't heard, and owning a specific model doesn't make you an expert automatically. Also, we need more experienced people giving advice to the newer ones.

 

P.S. And yes, I am still in school


I believe in steering people in the right direction, as long as you're not passing off an experience as your own.  If you don't know the headphone, there's nothing wrong with saying, "I hear the Senn IE8s have a great soundstage for an IEM and you should check those out if thats what you're looking for."  That's recommending and pointing in the right direction.  Great.  What I can't get behind is someone saying, "Get the Senn IE8s, they have an amazing soundstage." when clearly the author has never owned or listened to them for a respectable amount of time. It's just bad advice, and dilutes the good stuff out there.  Yes they're just repeating something they've heard time and time again, but the great thing about a headphone community is that not all experiences are the same.  It's the most subjective arena I can think of. If i hear the same thing over and over again, I want it to be from people with real experience and not from someone on replay. 

 

And I'm pretty sure I never said owning made you an expert. I'm not an expert on any of my headphones.  I don't even know how to define that.  But, I have intimate knowledge of and experience with mine, which I think could provide more valuable info for folks than someone who doesn't have them.  

 

I'm sure to some extent you agree,, and i'm not arguing your points.  I agree with yours too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #81 of 503

It's so much more complicated nowadays.  When I first found out about this cash syphon there weren't nearly as many cans, iems or amps. 

 

As a matter of fact, the trifecta was the 701, 650 and 880.  Or the 600 and 990 in place of the previous two, but that was pretty much it.

 

All the cans over the $400 or so range were the discontinued models people lusted over, with the exception of the Stax and Grado (and maybe a few others).  But, I mean, that was essentially it.

 

For a thousand bucks you could have three of the top cans everyone pretty much talked about.  So a lot more head-fi'ers were able to have those in their possession, naturally resulting in more folks who actually had an experience to share or disagree with or what have you.  Now, it's just crazy the price of some cans, along with the sheer numbers of selection.  I mean, sheesh. 

 

It's great in some ways and not so in others, I guess.  One thing for sure, my wallet misses those days.

 

 

post #82 of 503

It's good to see one of these threads crop up every once in a while.

post #83 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post


When judging an unfamiliar poster's credibility, my first glance is to their join date, second to their sig/gear listing in profile. Join date is not irrelevant.

Eh. I've been a member and lurker of various hi-fi sites for years, but officially have been on Head-Fi for a couple months. Join date doesn't mean nearly as much as post quality and content, if it means anything at all. There are Headphone Supremus guys who have been around for years whom I have little trust in, based on what they've said and how they present the information.
post #84 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedgr8 View Post

And I'm pretty sure I never said owning made you an expert. I'm not an expert on any of my headphones.  I don't even know how to define that.  But, I have intimate knowledge of and experience with mine, which I think could provide more valuable info for folks than someone who doesn't have them.  

 


Sorry, that wasn't directed towards you specifically. It was just a general reply to the thread as a whole. 

post #85 of 503

photo.JPG

Reply
post #86 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

photo.JPG



Now it gets interesting. On another note, I literally LOL'd IRL.

post #87 of 503

@OP, yep. If I give an opinion on a headphone it's only on one I have heard or owned. Keep in mind that "heard" is usually a prolonged listening session before 32ohm audio closed up shop D:

post #88 of 503
If people would keep to talking about what they have experienced it would help tone down the FOTM tides. Go to some meets if you want to try out more equipment.

Just say no to implementing the rep system. This place is pretty good on keeping out trolls. The big rep forum is the easiest place to troll, what with everyone trying to gain rep-peen.

As for the Headphoneus Supremus tag, it doesn't take long to find out some people have +1'ed their way to HS status.
post #89 of 503

This place better not have a rep system. I think we're a more matured community in comparison to a number of forums I frequent.

 

Apart from the small gripes we might have once in a while, there's always an objective beacon of light that appears over the horizon about 2-3 pages in LOL

post #90 of 503

rules cannot remove human nature, only suppresses it.. just saying...

 

i like this forum because of its trollessness.. 10 reviews is better than 1 reviews right? as a newbie those guys referring headphones from 10 reviews saves me the time of actually reading all of them...

IMHO,

X>Y (when it comes to owning pairs of hp, thus X spends more)

X(X<Y)=Y (X feels Y is getting more superior because Y recommends too much, when actually they' both have the right to express their opinion, so long as they 1. dont lie 2. disclose their sources...imo)

 

i might be trolling, but i think this is what is happening... from a newbie standpoint... ive been lurking for 2 months though, thanks head-fi for saving me from buying beats, but you know what, i've never heard them myself, so im gonna try my brother's out, really trying them out and form my own opinion... gosh, i might actually like them...

 

 


Edited by mrcuccuou - 2/27/12 at 6:20am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members