Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members - Page 5

post #61 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post



The problem is that the rep system usually gets misused. Trolls gather together and keep repping eachother and give solid posters negative rep, just to troll. Not only trolls, but friends usually give eachother rep as well. In the end it becomes more of a popularity contest.

 

Personally, I think head-fi should scrap the headphonus supremus tags and stop showing post count and join date at all. The forums I've been to where they have decided against showing post counts have actually become better from it. People get less prone to the authoritarian way of communicating that way.


First paragraph:  I don't yet know how it works on this forum, but what you described (or versions of it) certainly exist--even on "adult only" forums.

 

Second paragraph:  More accurate information is never worse than less accurate information.  If you find it to be irrelevant, just use your personal filter and ignore it.  I'll add that some of the most polite posters are in the upper levels of this forum.

 

post #62 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Personally, I think head-fi should scrap the headphonus supremus tags and stop showing post count and join date at all. The forums I've been to where they have decided against showing post counts have actually become better from it. People get less prone to the authoritarian way of communicating that way.


When judging an unfamiliar poster's credibility, my first glance is to their join date, second to their sig/gear listing in profile. Join date is not irrelevant.

 

post #63 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


First paragraph:  I don't yet know how it works on this forum, but what you described (or versions of it) certainly exist--even on "adult only" forums.

 

Second paragraph:  More accurate information is never worse than less accurate information.  If you find it to be irrelevant, just use your personal filter and ignore it.  I'll add that some of the most polite posters are in the upper levels of this forum.

 



I don't have any problems with the tags, so I'm not in need of using a personal filter (??). I'm referring more to the posters I've seen that are referring to people with headphonus supremus tags as grandmasters with golden ears, when they can in fact just be spreading misinformation, or just not knowledgable. The Headphonus Supremus doesn't mean anything other than the fact that you have +1500 posts, yet some people will treat them as if the tag implied a greater knowledge or something along those lines. I should say that I mean no offense to people with the Headphonus Supremus tags, just that it can be rather misleading.

post #64 of 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post


When judging an unfamiliar poster's credibility, my first glance is to their join date, second to their sig/gear listing in profile. Join date is not irrelevant.

 


 

Okay, my first glance is at their statements and the post they make and try to see if it fits with my own experience.

post #65 of 503

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Personally, I think head-fi should scrap the headphonus supremus tags and stop showing post count and join date at all. The forums I've been to where they have decided against showing post counts have actually become better from it. People get less prone to the authoritarian way of communicating that way.


I've thought of that, but I think if people care so much about post count THEY have a problem, not the forum. You can't force people to grow up. I have over 1k posts and I'm really noobish in some areas.

 

As for the OP: I have tried the QC, and I'm not afraid to say I liked them. My memory is foggy, it was some time ago, but they sounded warm, bassy and veiled. I have a gripe against veiled sound, but in that case they pulled it off nicely, like something good for indie rock. But none of that matters, because when someone comes along I don't just care what's good, but what's good for the price. It doesn't matter if the QCs sound good, are comfortable and have NC because I know there are things in my opinion just as good (without the NC, I'll give you that, but good at isolating) that literally cost half.

 

As for recommendations I see why that pisses you off. I obviously don't think people should recommend things they haven't tried. But I can lead the way to someone. For example if someone wants a bassy IEM in a medium budget, I tell them to read up on the IE8. I haven't tried it, but I have read enough to know what it should sound. It's not as good as me having tried it, but I honestly see no problem in it, and I always mention that I haven't tried the model in question, it's just an "I think something along these lines" advice. You can give your opinion without having personal experience. Again, I don't care if this is shunned upon, I think it's a good source of info as long as you specify your (lack of) personal experience.

post #66 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post


 

Okay, my first glance is at their statements and the post they make and try to see if it fits with my own experience.



Doesn't that produce the idea that if someone disagrees with you, they are not credible?

post #67 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

 


I've thought of that, but I think if people care so much about post count THEY have a problem, not the forum. You can't force people to grow up. I have over 1k posts and I'm really noobish in some areas.

 


 

I know what you mean, it's just that post counts shouldn't be indicative of ones knowledge yet some will act as if it is. As said, I (personally) don't have much problems with it, and if anyone agrees or disagrees with me in a thread, it doesn't matter what post count or tag they have - our preferences will probably not match so any further discussion would be redundant. However, I do feel that some people can be mislead into believing that, and I have actually witnessed some people saying "Listen to me, I am a ranked head-fi member, trust me" or "Listen to him, he's a headphonus supremus". Then again, it's not really my problem whether or not he/she believes it, I'm just saying that in the forums I've been on where they have removed that information, the quality has risen as a side effect from it. People are less prone to "just accept facts from authoritative figures" and become more critical of what's actually being said.

post #68 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post


Doesn't that produce the idea that if someone disagrees with you, they are not credible?


It produces the idea that we have different opinions/preferences about headphones, and as a result from it, I'll know whether or not the persons recommendations are to be taken into serious consideration or not.

post #69 of 503

This has been a standing complaint since I first started reading/posting at Head-Fi. It's very easy to just parrot whatever is popular, especially if you have no experience of your own but are trying to "get into" the community. It's also fairly easy to provide links to reviews and impressions threads and form arguments based on them, as if they were references in a research document (this is what most school-children are trained to do, is it not? And most new head-fiers are school-children, are they not?). 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedgr8 View Post

I don't post a lot. Most of the time I read.  If something pertains to me, I may post, but it's rare.  But lately, things have gotten out of control and I have to say something.  What's the issue?  People giving out advice or recommendations on headphones THEY DON'T HAVE. This is especially annoying when giving advice to headphone novices, the ones who rely on the advice and opinions of the people on this forum.  Let me explain...

 

 

 



 

post #70 of 503
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

 


I've thought of that, but I think if people care so much about post count THEY have a problem, not the forum. You can't force people to grow up. I have over 1k posts and I'm really noobish in some areas.

 

As for the OP: I have tried the QC, and I'm not afraid to say I liked them. My memory is foggy, it was some time ago, but they sounded warm, bassy and veiled. I have a gripe against veiled sound, but in that case they pulled it off nicely, like something good for indie rock. But none of that matters, because when someone comes along I don't just care what's good, but what's good for the price. It doesn't matter if the QCs sound good, are comfortable and have NC because I know there are things in my opinion just as good (without the NC, I'll give you that, but good at isolating) that literally cost half.

 

As for recommendations I see why that pisses you off. I obviously don't think people should recommend things they haven't tried. But I can lead the way to someone. For example if someone wants a bassy IEM in a medium budget, I tell them to read up on the IE8. I haven't tried it, but I have read enough to know what it should sound. It's not as good as me having tried it, but I honestly see no problem in it, and I always mention that I haven't tried the model in question, it's just an "I think something along these lines" advice. You can give your opinion without having personal experience. Again, I don't care if this is shunned upon, I think it's a good source of info as long as you specify your (lack of) personal experience.

OP here.  It's funny because you say the QC15s are veiled, but what you probably don't know is that the IE8s are veiled too because you haven't tried it.  So in that sense, you wouldn't buy the QC15s because in part, they are veiled, but you would recommend the IE8s when they're famous for being a bit veiled as well.  Just a little funny to me, and not in a bad way. I actually got rid of my IE8s after 2 years of use because they were too veiled for me.

 

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that you recommend based on the countless glowing reviews of the IE8s which are well known for their solid bass, but you're probably leading with "I heard the IE8s.. or Everyone says the IE8s.." right?  You're not pawning off that assessment as your own. I don't have issue with that at all.  

 

So the QC15.. yes, pretty expensive for ok sound.  You're paying for the NC really.  My opinion is, that's not so bad.  you're getting what is arguably the best NC out there (if thats important to you).  To me, they sound pretty good.. crisp highs, not too great mids, and bit bloaty bass, but overall, pretty spacious.  Comfort is top notch and the NC is great.  My biggest gripe with the is the sound leakage.  

 

Price seems to be the major negative factor.  But hey, I say if they can afford to drop $300 on headphones with the best NC out there, then let them do what they do.  Luckily, mine were a gift so I didn't have to make that decision.
 

 

post #71 of 503

C'mon, now.

 

You join head-fi; do a rapid-fire on the post count for a few months; become a supremus; an expert.

 

That qualifies you to talk about anything like you've had first-hand experience.

 

Isn't that how it's supposed to work 'round here?

 

I thought I read that in one of the forum rules.  wink_face.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #72 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDwebe View Post

C'mon, now.

 

You join head-fi; do a rapid-fire on the post count for a few months; become a supremus; an expert.

 

That qualifies you to talk about anything like you've had first-hand experience.

 

Isn't that how it's supposed to work 'round here?

 

I thought I read that in one of the forum rules.  wink_face.gif

 


Hey, you got only 82 to go before you're the expert. wink.gif

post #73 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post


Hey, you got only 82 to go before you're the expert. wink.gif



Can't wait.

 

I'm gonna be an expert on EVERYTHING!

 

 

 

post #74 of 503

I need more experience with higher end stuff.  Most of my experience is with mid-fi headphones and some top tier IEMs.

post #75 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

And most new head-fiers are school-children, are they not?). 
Aye Laddie!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members