Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members - Page 28

post #406 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgotsa View Post

As long as you say that you in fact only spent 15 minutes with it when talking about it I guess it's fine. 

 

As far as I'm concerned, my opinion on the headphones I've owned were very different from my first 15-minute-impressions. It takes many hours of serious listening to get to know them well in my opinion. 

 


This !

 

Classic example - first impressions of the SRH940 (when I first got them) - amazing clarity and detail.  Really good sound.  Why are these so cheap!

 

Three weeks later - noticing mid bass hole with a lot of the music I listened to, bass just sounds completely 'off' as a result.

 

Ended up reselling them after a month.

 

The major problem on Head-Fi continues to be the number of posters who've never heard a particular headphone, yet still continue to parrot what they've read, and requite it as though they've had personal experience with it themselves.  Second biggest issue is the new posters making recommendations to others based on the one or two pieces of gear they own - when they have no experience (or baseline) with alternate gear in the inquiriers budget.  Thus the hype machine rolls and gathers momentum .......

post #407 of 503

My #1 gripe with Head Fi:

People who participate in the Science Forum who have a very limited knowledge WRT what they are talking about but act like they are experts.

Or maybe I need a good psychologist to keep me off the (junk) Science Forum.................OK I got it off my chest.

post #408 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
The major problem on Head-Fi continues to be the number of posters who've never heard a particular headphone, yet still continue to parrot what they've read, and requite it as though they've had personal experience with it themselves.  Second biggest issue is the new posters making recommendations to others based on the one or two pieces of gear they own - when they have no experience (or baseline) with alternate gear in the inquiriers budget.  Thus the hype machine rolls and gathers momentum .......

 

well said, old sport!

 

I think had I stuck on that path, I would've been convinced that the D2000s were a piece of garbage.  They happen to be one of the finest headphones most people will ever have the liberty of listening to if they'd just stop following a random person's opinion rather than form their own.

post #409 of 503

My problems with Head-Fi.

 

Industry experts are banned (or only allowed to post in obsolete sections) from participating and giving objective data and evidence that corroborates the snake oil like nature of many high fidelity products.  

 

So many users on the forums rate, review and hype utterly swayed by their subjective and emotional attachments. What's worse, more often than not, normal users who are extremely educated (physicists, engineers and the like) often get banned for criticising other users' lack of sense. 

post #410 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

My #1 gripe with Head Fi:

People who participate in the Science Forum who have a very limited knowledge WRT what they are talking about but act like they are experts.

Or maybe I need a good psychologist to keep me off the (junk) Science Forum.................OK I got it off my chest.

 

This is so wrong that it's quite amusing. Maybe there exist some people who don't really know what they are on about but the Science Forum contains some remarkable individuals.

 

In the Science Forums is Mr Ethan Winer. He is one of THE industry experts in Acoustics. 

He often collaborates with J.J.Johnston who is the chief Scientist at DTS, Inc and is one of the inventors of the MP3 algorithm. He in turn collaborates with an Audio Engineering professor at MIT who in turn... etc etc....

 

 

post #411 of 503

I don't think that was worth bumping this thread back from the dead....

post #412 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

My problems with Head-Fi.

 

Industry experts are banned (or only allowed to post in obsolete sections) from participating and giving objective data and evidence that corroborates the snake oil like nature of many high fidelity products.  

 

So many users on the forums rate, review and hype utterly swayed by their subjective and emotional attachments. What's worse, more often than not, normal users who are extremely educated (physicists, engineers and the like) often get banned for criticising other users' lack of sense. 

 

I first started listening to music on Hi Fi's in the late 70s. From the mid 80s to the current time I have seen the Hi Fi interest degenerate into the crassest consumerist nonsense.

 

Although subjective opinions are important it is equally important that these are put in context with testing with double blind listening tests. The reason for this is that the human perception of hearing is extremely flexible. I write a bit about this in my article on Suggestion and Auto-Suggestion linked to in my signature.

 

Unfortunately there is almost no listening with double blind listening tests, but endless reporting of impressions on equipment made by people who do not realise the immense power of suggestion and auto-suggestion in hearing. They don't understand that while they really do "hear" changes in a way, the flexible nature of the perception of hearing is totally capable of creating those apparent differences.

 

Double blind listening tests simply remove the triggers for suggestion and auto-suggestion. If there are sonic differences they will still be audible in these tests.

 

 

post #413 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

My problems with Head-Fi.

 

Industry experts are banned (or only allowed to post in obsolete sections) from participating and giving objective data and evidence that corroborates the snake oil like nature of many high fidelity products.  

 

So many users on the forums rate, review and hype utterly swayed by their subjective and emotional attachments. What's worse, more often than not, normal users who are extremely educated (physicists, engineers and the like) often get banned for criticising other users' lack of sense. 

 

Really? Such as whom? Also, where do any rules state this? 

 

I've seen quite a few people, when their beliefs are confronted, resort to abuse and put-downs. That isn't tolerated here and is the #1 reason people end up banned (spammers aside). If you want to see why genuine industry experts don't participate here, read Dan Lavry's threads about USB audio and see how he was shouted down by people who didn't want to accept the knowledge he has gained from genuine experience.

post #414 of 503

And where would those threads be found?

post #415 of 503

I am as well a pretty new user, but I agreed your comments.

post #416 of 503

My main gripe that I've seen is the anti-flipping policy. If someone came across a good deal and wants to resell the headphones, I'd be willing to meet the seller in the middle between the normal street price and the deal price. Otherwise they'll just go to eBay and most likely be bid over the street price. I guess every forum has its quirks....

post #417 of 503
This is a privately owned forum used to make money by getting you to buy stuff from sponsoring vendors. What exactly do you expect?
post #418 of 503

Well by that logic, they wouldn't host a sales forum at all. I think that rule's in mostly place to discourage the kind of users who constantly watch the sales forums, snapping up any deals they find and reselling them a week later. I feel like there's probably a happy medium that would prevent that from happening but still allow people to mutually benefit from deals, but it would probably be too hard to enforce.

post #419 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

Well by that logic, they wouldn't host a sales forum at all. I think that rule's in mostly place to discourage the kind of users who constantly watch the sales forums, snapping up any deals they find and reselling them a week later. I feel like there's probably a happy medium that would prevent that from happening but still allow people to mutually benefit from deals, but it would probably be too hard to enforce.

 

Something like requesting people who are reselling to state so. If I want to pay more for something I should be allowed to. Head-Fi doesn't give me any assurances about my sales, they aren't eBay, if something goes wrong the most they can do is ban the other user. So if it all goes down between me and the other person, why should there be a restriction on selling stuff you bought cheaper?

I'm fine with paying 70$ for something another user bought for 50$ if the street price is 90$, he wins and I win. Why would that be restricted? It's not like I'll sue Head-Fi if I learn it's a flip, the rules state very clearly that Head-Fi is not responsible for anything. I can understand the need for the other user to be clear regarding the fact that he is flipping the item, but if he does it's it should be my choice as to engage in a trasaction or not. Just my opinion.


Edited by LizardKing1 - 3/18/13 at 3:47pm
post #420 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
I think that rule's in mostly place to discourage the kind of users who constantly watch the sales forums, snapping up any deals they find and reselling them a week later.

I didn't know we have such rule but if we do, kudos to Head-Fi admins for enforcing it.

This is not a place for taking advantage of true enthusiasts moving their gear around. I definitely wouldn't want to see someone selling the stuff he bought from me for a profit a few days later.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members