Normally in 2 months the HM-802 will be released (May 2012), I have great hopes in this DAP, for the form factor and the UI. I don't want an Android DAP, I allready have one phone and a tablet.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of Hifiman HM models Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:37pm in Portable Source Gear
- Is this the next flagship Hifi portable player from Hifiman? Last post on 10/8/12 at 11:17pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman hm-801 doesn´t work Last post on 4/26/11 at 9:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- HiFiMAN Playback Order Last post on 9/26/11 at 6:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman HM-801 help Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:43am in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
<Renewed at 2012/03/12>The new HiFiMAN 802 & New UI named "Tai-Chi" - Page 8
tried the UI, very intuitive and easy to use!! this is the dream, since i don't really like a touch screen DAP like DX100
hopefully it will become available in 60x line up soon as well
My MAIN goal is having the best sound possible. second goal is getting that sound and still being portable. I have the Dx100 and its sound is spectacular. Very clean, detailed, powerful, and the EQ works very well. I had the 801 for over a month and it is a very nice player and yes I like the simplicity of it but the player is not as powerful as the IBasso DX100 at all and not even as powerful as the Cowon D2 so I will need a amp to go with the 801 brick (DX100 is also a brick but no amp needed to be attached to it cause it has the power). If the 802 can have equal the power of the iBasso and sounds as good and it is not Andriod then I will but it right away.
I had the 801 for over a month and it is a very nice player and yes I like the simplicity of it but the player is not as powerful as the IBasso DX100 at all and not even as powerful as the Cowon D2 so I will need a amp to go with the 801 brick (DX100 is also a brick but no amp needed to be attached to it cause it has the power).
The Balanced amp card for the HM-801 is actually much more powerful than the DX100. It delivers 440mW and the DX100 is "only" 245mW. There is also a single ended power amp (blue PCB) which is supplied with newer HM-801 units, but I haven't seen any spec's for it yet.
Edited by LarsHP - 3/29/12 at 2:25am
why would anyone spend another $250, on top of $790 you paid for the hm801?
hifiman SHOULD use balanced amp card as the default hm801 amp and charge $790 for it. or else, what's stopping anyone from buying DX100? nothing
Then I must have been hearing the stock amp.
I think your viewpoint is outdated. The later HM-801 units has been shipped with BOTH a standard amp for iem's AND a power amp module for full size headphones.
Nobody is stopping anybody from anything as long as it's not illegal, I guess. I may want an Ipod with 24-bit support and high end DAC chip and super amp included. I may want a Porche for price of a VW and that all computers should include a printer for the same price and, and, and ... this is just not how things are.
The balanced amp is only for those who want to drive their headphones like that. THAT is an extra cost, but there are in fact no other DAP's even giving you that opportunity to choose. You are forced to buy a separte portable amp. HM-801 with the optional balanced module is a one-box solution that no other DAP can come up with (at the moment at least).
Edited by LarsHP - 3/29/12 at 7:51am
Well, I guess we're all watching and waiting to see what HifiMan can come up with, in response to 801 criticisms, and DX100 gauntlet-throwing from iBasso.
The ball is in HifiMan's court at the moment. With the 802/901, they have an opportunity to silence criticisms of the 801. The question is: Will they?
that's exactly why they come up with new product
I have talked to Fang about this, and he says they outsourced the firmware project. I guess they are working on the new HM-series instead of doing something about the "old". He said that the EQ is disabled because the contract with Microsoft is over. In other words the EQ won't be back even with an update of the old firmware
He also said, that they have been working on the firmware for the new HM-players for about 3 years now ...
Edited by LarsHP - 3/30/12 at 3:09am
I have talked to Fang about this, and he says they outsourced the firmware project. I guess they are working on the new HM-series instead of doing something about the "old". He said that the EQ is disabled because the contract with Microsoft is over. In other words the EQ won't be back even with an update of the old firmware ...
Wait that don't make sense? Why can't you just revert to an older version of the firmware and thus fix the EQ issues? Otherwise you Hifiman owners (is this limited to the 801 or the whole series) are left holding the bag...
Because the EQ was licensed for a certain period. Users with the older firmware can still use it of course, but HiFiMan can't let people upload it from their site. This is how I understand it - I may be wrong.
That makes sense. But I'm sure people must have a copy of the Older firmware right? Sharing is caring :).
- <Renewed at 2012/03/12>The new HiFiMAN 802 & New UI named "Tai-Chi"
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Battle of the Portables - A review of my headphones: Audio... 4 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 20 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 27 seconds ago
- › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO 28 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 43 seconds ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 48 seconds ago
- › Westone UM1 w/Epic G2 cables - Orange - Like New! 54 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude