Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! - Page 224

post #3346 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrpm View Post
 

Kiats do let me know if you are able to get your hands on these tips (perhaps a couple of pairs!)

 

Indeed I will! I'll look into this next week. This week promises to be hell on earth. :eek:

post #3347 of 3832

I think they are actually SkullCandy FMJ tips.  I would look in to SkullCandy FMJ tips.

post #3348 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I think they are actually SkullCandy FMJ tips.  I would look in to SkullCandy FMJ tips.

 

Really? OK, then I might be able to find it locally then. Thanks!

post #3349 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Just checked the Ortofon tips again.  Reinforced my confirmation of changing the sound drastically.  You will notice wider sound, and narrow when using Ortofon.  It's narrow, and cause distortion.  I suspect it is result of narrow bore on the Ortonfon.  Get some music with detailed vocals, go from Ortofon to stock black tips, you will notice the vocals will be clearer and opens up wider, which I think the original designer meant for when desiging the wider sized bore with triple outlets.

 

Anybody have details on why the titanium is used on the central bore?

Well, well, well, I cannot but agree with you. I do (sort of) get the “best sound” from the medium black stock tips. I felt – in a positive sense – provoked by your post(s) so I dug out the stock tips and went over them again. However, I also found out why the black stock tips have been, and still are unsatisfactory to me.

I do agree with you that it must be desirable to use ear tips with a bore size of 5.5 mm - the diameter of the 334’s nozzle - so as not to obstruct the advanced triple outlet design. The black stock tips do deliver a very clean (non-distorted) sound, more so than the Ortofon tips I believe. For me the difference isn’t night and day though, but yes I think I can sense the difference.

The problem I do have with the black stock tips is that the medium size is too small for me, although just barley and the large stock tips are just that, too large. BTW, I use and need the large Ortofon tips. However, I can get a near perfect seal with the medium sized black stock tips – and it sounds clean indeed- but if I move my jaw, even if just ever so slightly, the seal is broken in the left ear and hence the sound suffers. And, if I shove them deeper into my ears they create an underpressure and completely ruin the sound. I do get a solid seal with the large black stock tips but I can’t get the angel right with these, as they are too large, which muffle the entire phone. So, in this sense and for me the Ortofon tips are better but not optimal.

After extensive listening to various ear tips (indeed, today my wife yelled at me and said something like “all you do is listen to headphones”, or something to that end. I couldn’t really tell as I was listening to headphones) I’ve come to the conclusion that for me the insertion angel is the most critical factor. The Wooduo 2 olive shaped tips (mentioned in a previous post by me) lend themselves very well to this end and are likely the single most important factor to my sound revolution with the 334, despite having a narrow bore diameter of about 3.5 mm. The insertion angle doesn’t seem quite as critical with other IEMs designed for a shallow fit, such as my AKG K3003i. I believe the reason for this may indeed be the advanced triple outlet design of the 334. It would seem to me that the outlet must be pointed in the direction of the absolute centre of the bend/curve in the ear but not be shoved into it to avoid building up an underpressure. This bend, or curve, is quite pronounced in my ears which I believe adds to the effect.

Really, the 334 is traitorous in this respect, because even without a perfect insertion angle it sounds sufficiently excellent to make you (at least me!) believe you hear what it’s capable of. However, now that I’ve realised the importance of the insertion angle, the 334 has gone from excellent to godly. Although I still feel the 334 needs a tad of treble boost (I’m getting old) to reach that stage. The 334 was probably tuned for young people (with a bit of money, of course) on the go with its somewhat boosted bass and a fairly recessed treble. Speculation, of course!

Anyway, this exercise also inspired me to pick up my MeElec ear tips having a bore diameter of 5.5 mm, but without any luck. All of them being too small, too large, too awkward, and none of them (except those similar to the stock tips) allowed me to get the right insertion angle.

I also gave my Comply foam Ts-500 tips - having a spherical shape and a 5.0 mm bore diameter - another chance. As I remembered it these made the 334’s bass sound bloated and just too dominating, so my hopes weren’t high. However, as I’ve realised how critical the insertion angel is for me and because the spherical shape of the Ts-500 tips makes it easy to point and affix them in the right direction, I get a fantastic result; actually the best with all of the tips I’ve tried so far. They allow the needed shallow fit and seal perfectly, and compared to the medium stock tips I can basically not hear any difference at all when it comes to treble and midrange. However, bass (especially mid-bass) frequencies do sound slightly boosted, perhaps a couple of dB, but it sounds really decent, I don’t mind it, and it’s not as I remembered it. Hell, I even think I like it, perhaps even a lot! Nevertheless I would pay dearly for a ball shaped or olive shaped silicone ear tip (preferably but not necessarily with a shallow bore extension, 2 to 3 mm) with a bore diameter of 5.5 mm (or at least 4.5 mm). Anyone?! You would win my gratitude forever and ever!

Well, it’s time to take a break and instead listen to the wife. It would feel somewhat embarrassing to be facing a divorce over a pair of ear tips. Sometimes I seriously wonder if I’m sane. ;)

post #3350 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Well, well, well, I cannot but agree with you. I do (sort of) get the “best sound” from the medium black stock tips. I felt – in a positive sense – provoked by your post(s) so I dug out the stock tips and went over them again. However, I also found out why the black stock tips have been, and still are unsatisfactory to me.

I do agree with you that it must be desirable to use ear tips with a bore size of 5.5 mm - the diameter of the 334’s nozzle - so as not to obstruct the advanced triple outlet design. The black stock tips do deliver a very clean (non-distorted) sound, more so than the Ortofon tips I believe. For me the difference isn’t night and day though, but yes I think I can sense the difference.

The problem I do have with the black stock tips is that the medium size is too small for me, although just barley and the large stock tips are just that, too large. BTW, I use and need the large Ortofon tips. However, I can get a near perfect seal with the medium sized black stock tips – and it sounds clean indeed- but if I move my jaw, even if just ever so slightly, the seal is broken in the left ear and hence the sound suffers. And, if I shove them deeper into my ears they create an underpressure and completely ruin the sound. I do get a solid seal with the large black stock tips but I can’t get the angel right with these, as they are too large, which muffle the entire phone. So, in this sense and for me the Ortofon tips are better but not optimal.

After extensive listening to various ear tips (indeed, today my wife yelled at me and said something like “all you do is listen to headphones”, or something to that end. I couldn’t really tell as I was listening to headphones) I’ve come to the conclusion that for me the insertion angel is the most critical factor. The Wooduo 2 olive shaped tips (mentioned in a previous post by me) lend themselves very well to this end and are likely the single most important factor to my sound revolution with the 334, despite having a narrow bore diameter of about 3.5 mm. The insertion angle doesn’t seem quite as critical with other IEMs designed for a shallow fit, such as my AKG K3003i. I believe the reason for this may indeed be the advanced triple outlet design of the 334. It would seem to me that the outlet must be pointed in the direction of the absolute centre of the bend/curve in the ear but not be shoved into it to avoid building up an underpressure. This bend, or curve, is quite pronounced in my ears which I believe adds to the effect.

Really, the 334 is traitorous in this respect, because even without a perfect insertion angle it sounds sufficiently excellent to make you (at least me!) believe you hear what it’s capable of. However, now that I’ve realised the importance of the insertion angle, the 334 has gone from excellent to godly. Although I still feel the 334 needs a tad of treble boost (I’m getting old) to reach that stage. The 334 was probably tuned for young people (with a bit of money, of course) on the go with its somewhat boosted bass and a fairly recessed treble. Speculation, of course!

Anyway, this exercise also inspired me to pick up my MeElec ear tips having a bore diameter of 5.5 mm, but without any luck. All of them being too small, too large, too awkward, and none of them (except those similar to the stock tips) allowed me to get the right insertion angle.

I also gave my Comply foam Ts-500 tips - having a spherical shape and a 5.0 mm bore diameter - another chance. As I remembered it these made the 334’s bass sound bloated and just too dominating, so my hopes weren’t high. However, as I’ve realised how critical the insertion angel is for me and because the spherical shape of the Ts-500 tips makes it easy to point and affix them in the right direction, I get a fantastic result; actually the best with all of the tips I’ve tried so far. They allow the needed shallow fit and seal perfectly, and compared to the medium stock tips I can basically not hear any difference at all when it comes to treble and midrange. However, bass (especially mid-bass) frequencies do sound slightly boosted, perhaps a couple of dB, but it sounds really decent, I don’t mind it, and it’s not as I remembered it. Hell, I even think I like it, perhaps even a lot!

Nevertheless I would pay dearly for a ball shaped or olive shaped silicone ear tip (preferably but not necessarily with a shallow bore extension, 2 to 3 mm) with a bore diameter of 5.5 mm (or at least 4.5 mm). Anyone?! You would win my gratitude forever and ever!

Well, it’s time to take a break and instead listen to the wife. It would feel somewhat embarrassing to be facing a divorce over a pair of ear tips. Sometimes I seriously wonder if I’m sane. ;)

 

I use the Parterre's and almost completely mirror your impressions about tips.  I have considered contacting Ortofon and pleading with them on my knees to create a larger bore, extra large tip!!  I've used stock, Sony, Phillips, generic Sony, Ortofon, FAD, Comply, UE, Hifiman, among others.  Surprisingly,  I've also found my T-500 to be about as satisfactory as I've found yet. Having said all that, I still relish the fantastic sound and build of Fitear.  It's just that the SQ varies significantly from tip to tip, and I'm now determined to find the optimum (to my ears anyway).   BTW, my wife already considers me a nut job when it comes to my headphone equipment.  :o 


Edited by fiascogarcia - 3/12/14 at 1:36pm
post #3351 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post


The problem I do have with the black stock tips is that the medium size is too small for me, although just barley and the large stock tips are just that, too large. 

I've been using the medium tips and realized that it doesn't have the seal that the large FMJ tips have.  So, I'm like you, it sounds thin with the medium stock tips since it doesn't have the seal, but no distortion on the sound though.  But still have issues with FMJ tips, it seals too much, and bass is huge, and overwhlms the other frequencies.  I need to get ahold of medium FJM tips.

post #3352 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascogarcia View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Well, well, well, I cannot but agree with you. I do (sort of) get the “best sound” from the medium black stock tips. I felt – in a positive sense – provoked by your post(s) so I dug out the stock tips and went over them again. However, I also found out why the black stock tips have been, and still are unsatisfactory to me.

I do agree with you that it must be desirable to use ear tips with a bore size of 5.5 mm - the diameter of the 334’s nozzle - so as not to obstruct the advanced triple outlet design. The black stock tips do deliver a very clean (non-distorted) sound, more so than the Ortofon tips I believe. For me the difference isn’t night and day though, but yes I think I can sense the difference.

The problem I do have with the black stock tips is that the medium size is too small for me, although just barley and the large stock tips are just that, too large. BTW, I use and need the large Ortofon tips. However, I can get a near perfect seal with the medium sized black stock tips – and it sounds clean indeed- but if I move my jaw, even if just ever so slightly, the seal is broken in the left ear and hence the sound suffers. And, if I shove them deeper into my ears they create an underpressure and completely ruin the sound. I do get a solid seal with the large black stock tips but I can’t get the angel right with these, as they are too large, which muffle the entire phone. So, in this sense and for me the Ortofon tips are better but not optimal.

After extensive listening to various ear tips (indeed, today my wife yelled at me and said something like “all you do is listen to headphones”, or something to that end. I couldn’t really tell as I was listening to headphones) I’ve come to the conclusion that for me the insertion angel is the most critical factor. The Wooduo 2 olive shaped tips (mentioned in a previous post by me) lend themselves very well to this end and are likely the single most important factor to my sound revolution with the 334, despite having a narrow bore diameter of about 3.5 mm. The insertion angle doesn’t seem quite as critical with other IEMs designed for a shallow fit, such as my AKG K3003i. I believe the reason for this may indeed be the advanced triple outlet design of the 334. It would seem to me that the outlet must be pointed in the direction of the absolute centre of the bend/curve in the ear but not be shoved into it to avoid building up an underpressure. This bend, or curve, is quite pronounced in my ears which I believe adds to the effect.

Really, the 334 is traitorous in this respect, because even without a perfect insertion angle it sounds sufficiently excellent to make you (at least me!) believe you hear what it’s capable of. However, now that I’ve realised the importance of the insertion angle, the 334 has gone from excellent to godly. Although I still feel the 334 needs a tad of treble boost (I’m getting old) to reach that stage. The 334 was probably tuned for young people (with a bit of money, of course) on the go with its somewhat boosted bass and a fairly recessed treble. Speculation, of course!

Anyway, this exercise also inspired me to pick up my MeElec ear tips having a bore diameter of 5.5 mm, but without any luck. All of them being too small, too large, too awkward, and none of them (except those similar to the stock tips) allowed me to get the right insertion angle.

I also gave my Comply foam Ts-500 tips - having a spherical shape and a 5.0 mm bore diameter - another chance. As I remembered it these made the 334’s bass sound bloated and just too dominating, so my hopes weren’t high. However, as I’ve realised how critical the insertion angel is for me and because the spherical shape of the Ts-500 tips makes it easy to point and affix them in the right direction, I get a fantastic result; actually the best with all of the tips I’ve tried so far. They allow the needed shallow fit and seal perfectly, and compared to the medium stock tips I can basically not hear any difference at all when it comes to treble and midrange. However, bass (especially mid-bass) frequencies do sound slightly boosted, perhaps a couple of dB, but it sounds really decent, I don’t mind it, and it’s not as I remembered it. Hell, I even think I like it, perhaps even a lot!

Nevertheless I would pay dearly for a ball shaped or olive shaped silicone ear tip (preferably but not necessarily with a shallow bore extension, 2 to 3 mm) with a bore diameter of 5.5 mm (or at least 4.5 mm). Anyone?! You would win my gratitude forever and ever!

Well, it’s time to take a break and instead listen to the wife. It would feel somewhat embarrassing to be facing a divorce over a pair of ear tips. Sometimes I seriously wonder if I’m sane. ;)

 

I use the Parterre's and almost completely mirror your impressions about tips.  I have considered contacting Ortofon and pleading with them on my knees to create a larger bore, extra large tip!!  I've used stock, Sony, Phillips, generic Sony, Ortofon, FAD, Comply, UE, Hifiman, among others.  Surprisingly,  I've also found my T-500 to be about as satisfactory as I've found yet. Having said all that, I still relish the fantastic sound and build of Fitear.  It's just that the SQ varies significantly from tip to tip, and I'm now determined to find the optimum (to my ears anyway).   BTW, my wife already considers me a nut job when it comes to my headphone equipment.  :o 

Yes, that certainly sounds ideal to me as well!

 

Don't forget to keep us posted of any breakthroughs in this respect!

 

Good to know I'm not the only "nut" around! ;)

post #3353 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post


The problem I do have with the black stock tips is that the medium size is too small for me, although just barley and the large stock tips are just that, too large. 

I've been using the medium tips and realized that it doesn't have the seal that the large FMJ tips have.  So, I'm like you, it sounds thin with the medium stock tips since it doesn't have the seal, but no distortion on the sound though.  But still have issues with FMJ tips, it seals too much, and bass is huge, and overwhlms the other frequencies.  I need to get ahold of medium FJM tips.

Can you provide a link to the "FMJ tips"? Anything in this repsect is worth investigating. Thanks!

post #3354 of 3832

http://egadgetsandtoys.ecrater.com/p/11265003/s-m-l-clear-replacement-silicone-ear-buds

 

This is aftermarket tips, so it may not be exactly the stock. I think one of the three headphones can be had cheap if you want to get a hold of the stock tips.

 

looks like skull candy products, fmj, titan, and 50/50 tips are the same size.  Notice the large bore.

 


Edited by SilverEars - 3/13/14 at 5:03am
post #3355 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post



Nevertheless I would pay dearly for a ball shaped or olive shaped silicone ear tip (preferably but not necessarily with a shallow bore extension, 2 to 3 mm) with a bore diameter of 5.5 mm (or at least 4.5 mm). Anyone?! You would win my gratitude forever and ever!






Something like these?
Edited by kkcc - 3/13/14 at 5:51am
post #3356 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

Something like these?

Where did you get those?

post #3357 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

Where did you get those?

Lol I don't really remember but am quite sure I got these as thrown-ins from random taobao stores when I bought cables and other accessories....

In fact I got plenty with me! I like the translucent white ones more than the black...

post #3358 of 3832

How do they sound? 

post #3359 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

How do they sound? 

 

I like them over any other tips for the tg334 and had been using these for almost a year now.  Personally I don't find that much different with these and the Ortofons but YMMV.

post #3360 of 3832
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

I like them over any other tips for the tg334 and had been using these for almost a year now.  Personally I don't find that much different with these and the Ortofons but YMMV.

 

They look similar to the generic Sony replacements I found on Ebay. Head-fier Gmahler tried them also, and wasn't crazy about them, but I still prefer over Ortofon.  They're what I'm using right now, as I experiment with opening the bore of some Comply T500's!  Everyone's ear canal is different, so caveat emptor.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!