Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! - Page 85

post #1261 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post

I don't think phase shift is that much of an issue, 90 deg out of phase can be cured simply by adjusting tube length, and I haven't seen any high end CIEM that had higher order xo. The problem with 3 way and above is their indefinite number of choices for cutoff frequency. And even with computer simulation, it's very unlikely the final result is in accordance to your intention, not to mention there are tube length/diameter and filter to take into account.

 

There's the Spiral Ear 5 way Reference solid silicone CIEM. 5 times cross over, iirc. The guy who makes them said he focuses on accurate attack and decay to achieve a detailed realistic sound. I think he may be onto something since the other headphone I know of with a very good attack and decay time is the SR-009, and we all know their reputation.

 

I was looking into buying a 5-way Ref however shipping complications out of the EU convinced me against it. Got a TG!334 instead. No need to change headphones if my ear canals change shape in a few years this way. I wonder how long TG!334 will last for... their build quality is very decent but my experience with all products is that everything is built to fail down the track. Planned obsolescence. Thank you cyclic consumer capitalism. Heard there was a model of Mercedes made in the 70's which could get to 1 million km's before needing a service. Mercedes thought they could make more if people bought more parts and cars more often, so models after that were designed to need servicing a lot sooner or else they'd break down.

post #1262 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Tube length isn't always that flexible, though. I find that it's difficult to get the ratios correct for everyone within the given space, especially with more than 3 individual receivers. Also, if I wanted to add a WBFK or something to the top, I'd want to use a 2nd order high-pass, but that's me.

 

That's why FitEar cut the 2nd bend off in order to reserve enough space for 3 separate tubes while keeping the length ratio constant.

Why a 2nd order? I find -6db roll off pretty much enough if you know where to choose the cutoff point and pair it with a proper filter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post

 

There's the Spiral Ear 5 way Reference solid silicone CIEM. 5 times cross over, iirc. The guy who makes them said he focuses on accurate attack and decay to achieve a detailed realistic sound. I think he may be onto something since the other headphone I know of with a very good attack and decay time is the SR-009, and we all know their reputation.

I meant 2nd/3rd order xos, not how many pieces the spectrum is cut into. It's 5 way but I'd presume they all are 1st order xos.

post #1263 of 3763
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post

There's the Spiral Ear 5 way Reference solid silicone CIEM. 5 times cross over, iirc. The guy who makes them said he focuses on accurate attack and decay to achieve a detailed realistic sound. I think he may be onto something since the other headphone I know of with a very good attack and decay time is the SR-009, and we all know their reputation.

 

E-stats and BA CIEMs are very different techologies with very different design methodologies. ADSR is but one part of sound design, and just stating that the SE5 is designed for accurate ADSR doesn't mean that it is so. I'm not saying the SE5 isn't good, and it's likely very, very very good, because everyone on here that has one just loves it to bits,

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post  Why a 2nd order? I find -6db roll off pretty much enough if you know where to choose the cutoff point and pair it with a proper filter.

 

I find that 1st order isn't steep enough if you want to preserve the band underneath; 6 dB/octave tends to "spill" into the lower registers. I'd be okay with it if the ED were there to 'reinforce' the WBFK because then you could shape the ED to blend in with the WBFK, but here we're trying to get the WBFK just to come in at the very, very top, without really touching the general form of the ED. That's why no one really adds additional high drivers in remold upgrades; look at UM and all those Chinese dudes --- designers work with adding lower drivers, or just take out the highs and put drivers of their own choice in.

post #1264 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

I find that 1st order isn't steep enough if you want to preserve the band underneath; 6 dB/octave tends to "spill" into the lower registers. I'd be okay with it if the ED were there to 'reinforce' the WBFK because then you could shape the ED to blend in with the WBFK, but here we're trying to get the WBFK just to come in at the very, very top, without really touching the general form of the ED. That's why no one really adds additional high drivers in remold upgrades; look at UM and all those Chinese dudes --- designers work with adding lower drivers, or just take out the highs and put drivers of their own choice in.

I haven't looked at that many chinese CIEMs but doesn't the Miracle have a high pass?

 

Now I really wonder which order xo the 334 accommodates.

post #1265 of 3763
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post Now I really wonder which order xo the 334 accommodates.

 

Eh, who knows? Sounds good to me.

post #1266 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by zowki View Post

I've been listening to my FitEar TG334s every day for two weeks trying to get accustomed to the sound but I still miss the Fostex TH900 treble whenever I switch to my TG334s. I mentioned this before and my opinion still stands after the two week "burn in" period, the TG334s lack treble extension and air. The treble sounds dry and lacking like the LCD2s (the very reason I sold my LCD2s). Its a big shame because the bass is fantastic and the mids are unmatched by IEMs and headphones of any type that I've heard. I'll still hold on to my TG334s because I can't give up the amazing bass and mids just yet. I should also mention that the sound is very dynamic driver like despite being a multi balanced armature IEM. The bass hits deep, with authority and doesn't lack any impact.
Perhaps the treble issue is due to the fact that Mitsuhara Harada (Fitear TG334's engineer) is growing old and has upper frequency hearing loss while I'm a teenager who can still hear "mosquito tones". Or perhaps it was purposefully tuned that way to be less fatiguing for sound producers who use IEMs for monitoring for long periods (judging from FitEar's website the TG334s seem targeted to producers).

Do you listen thru an amp, amp/dac or straight from a player?

post #1267 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Do you listen thru an amp, amp/dac or straight from a player?
I listen from my Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp when at home and my iPhone 4 on the go.
post #1268 of 3763
I have a bunch of extra UE large TF10 tips if anyone is interested in a pair and doesn't want to spend nearly $20 on the Logitech site, just shoot me a pm. I haven't tested them yet. Hope to tomorrow
post #1269 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

I just got the UE Med tips and they seal well. I've only used for a few hours. I've pushed in a few times but am not sure if its because I'm use to the Complys which sit very well. I also have eq7 tips coming as well so I will be having a tip rolling party soon!

 

Thanks Milarepa for the tips on tips!

 

Always tip top with tip tips. Looking forward to try the eq7 tips myself, after all, I believe they are made from a pure gold/silicone alloy.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

I'm not sure. I've heard the 334 refuses to play anime songs. It's a real deal-breaker to me.

 

 

I don't mind. I only use my rig to feel closer to Justin Bieber........ 

post #1270 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by milarepa View Post

 

Always tip top with tip tips. Looking forward to try the eq7 tips myself, after all, I believe they are made from a pure gold/silicone alloy.

 

I don't mind. I only use my rig to feel closer to Justin Bieber........ 


Never knew tips could come in such a luxury... tongue.gif

post #1271 of 3763
I think we have a winner with the UE TF10 tips. Good fit, balanced sound and no vacuum issues. Need to spend a few more days to confirm but very happy so far. Now all I need is the BTG upcoming FitEar cable.
post #1272 of 3763

i love the highs spark and extension on my westone 4... does the 334 has this to?

would an amp like the intruder or mk3b open up more for highs?

 

 

thank you!

post #1273 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I think we have a winner with the UE TF10 tips. Good fit, balanced sound and no vacuum issues. Need to spend a few more days to confirm but very happy so far. Now all I need is the BTG upcoming FitEar cable.

Shane have you posted particulars about the cables? I remember reading you saying they were coming soon.

post #1274 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Shane have you posted particulars about the cables? I remember reading you saying they were coming soon.

This link has a picture of the "starlight" SPC cable. Current plans are to offer the new FitEar cable in similar configuration.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628220/the-sunrise-cable-from-btg-audio-for-ciems-review#post_8754569
However, I'm sure some options will be removing the nylon sleeving below the Y split and to have black wire above the Y split if desired. But the SPC in clear looks very classy and should look pretty stunning with the TG334.

It's a very flexible cable with perfect length memory wire, that makes it very useful; especially for the big bodied TG334, which I need.
post #1275 of 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by soullinker20 View Post

i love the highs spark and extension on my westone 4... does the 334 has this to?
would an amp like the intruder or mk3b open up more for highs?


thank you!

I personally find the TG334's treble extension lacking. The lack of treble extension is a technical limitation of the driver so amplification will not improve it.

I mentioned it in this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal/1245#post_8811757
Edited by zowki - 10/28/12 at 8:52am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!