Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio's sound engineer best headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Studio's sound engineer best headphones - Page 3

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambz View Post


I would like to respectfully disagree with this.  I personally believe that the HD600 is by far the most neutral can available (possibly moreso than the big contenders), both proven by technical measurements and also based on my testing.

 

I have listened to all the models mentioned except for the K702 which I hope to check out soon.  I use ADAM A7 monitors which in my opinion are extremely well balanced monitors and highly respected within the audio community.  Of course, if you're using NS10s or similar in the studio, you may have become accustomed to a different sound signature and therefore my feedback may be of little value.  All comments below are based on me listening to the headphones myself and then looking at the graphs later, the graphs below did indeed represent exactly what I heard on each which is why I trust Golden Ears measurements.

 

Closed Cans

 

DT250: Close to neutral but with big rolloff in the treble.  This is extremely noticeable, there's no way I could judge the treble on these.

 

01.FR_beyerdynamic_DT250.png

 

SRH-840: Close to neutral although has a boost in the high frequencies.  Not too much brighter than my monitors here, but you just need to compensate for it a bit when mixing.

 

01.FR_Shure SRH840.png

 

SRH-940: WHere's the bass?  Might be a good choice if you are planning to EQ them and can bring back the missing bass because otherwise these are really neutral for a closed can.

 

01.FR_SHURE_SRH940.png

 

Open Cans

 

HD-600: THE reference headphone, very close to flat frequency response.  These sounded closest to my monitors during testing and I hope to get a pair very soon to do detailed comparisons in the same room with my monitors and SRH-840s.  The HD-650s are wonderful for listening but lack the detailed and neutral treble of the HD-600 as the HD-650 is more rolled off and tame.

 

01.FR_HD600.png

 

K702: Seems to be bass light and treble happy ... can't say that this graph is accurate until I hear them to be honest though.

 

01.FR_AKG_K702.png

 

DT880 (600 ohm): Quite neutral except that big boost in the treble.  This makes them harsh in the treble even for material that is mixed without excessive treble.  I can easily see myself creating mixes that lack treble with these as I would be cutting it to compensate.

 

01.FR_DT880_600.png

 

For me it's SRH-840 (closed) and HD600 (open) at present.  Potentially the Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA-003 will take the lead on closed neutral cans once I hear them.

 

All the best

zambz

 

 

 

 

That dt250 graph there is sure to be the 80 ohm version. Take a look at these...

 

Heres the 250 ohm...

1000

 

 

Then the 80 ohm with the rolled off treble

 

1000

 

 

I myself have owned both and kept only the 250 ohm version in the end because they sound like they measure

post #32 of 43

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a few bucks. k701smile.gif

 

1000

post #33 of 43

Just to add to the list:

 

KRK KNS 8400 

 

Sennheiser HD 25-1 ||


Edited by valerianaoff - 7/30/12 at 4:43am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a few bucks. k701smile.gif

 

1000

An FB Like on the amp but a dislike on the cans LOL

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

 

 

 

 

That dt250 graph there is sure to be the 80 ohm version. Take a look at these...

 

Heres the 250 ohm...

1000

 

 

Then the 80 ohm with the rolled off treble

 

1000

 

 

I myself have owned both and kept only the 250 ohm version in the end because they sound like they measureI

 

I don't place much value in these graphs anymore. My 80ohm dt250 was far more rolled off than the above, if memory serves me well. I've seen other graphs that showed what I was hearing. The above k702 graph is also way off base. there's no big bump around 2.5k. They sound pretty flat there ....it's got to be a testing error.....though I hear the big bump around 9k on those.

post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

An FB Like on the amp but a dislike on the cans LOL


The right combination makes the difference, and of course including the Apogee mini DAC. happy_face1.gif

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

I don't place much value in these graphs anymore. My 80ohm dt250 was far more rolled off than the above, if memory serves me well. I've seen other graphs that showed what I was hearing. The above k702 graph is also way off base. there's no big bump around 2.5k. They sound pretty flat there ....it's got to be a testing error.....though I hear the big bump around 9k on those.

I definitely heard the big 2.5khz bump on my k701s so you might have gotten a good pair.

post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

I definitely heard the big 2.5khz bump on my k701s so you might have gotten a good pair.

Are you sure the peak on yours wasn't further up?. Mine sound very bright but it sounds like the peak is quite a bit further up plus a big peak at 9K. I once did a sine wave sweep and the big peak around 9 was obvious, but there were other smaller peaks in the lower treble.

post #39 of 43

Im sure there was a upper midrange peak as well as the one in the treble region on my pair... yes. Remember not all k701s are created equal.

post #40 of 43

Lets not forget that some equipment emphasize a different frequencies...and this can be a bit confusing. happy_face1.gif

post #41 of 43

I did connect it to more than one source/amp combo so it was definitely the headphones.

post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

Lets not forget that some equipment emphasize a different frequencies...and this can be a bit confusing. happy_face1.gif

Is it true that any decent amp or DAC could have such a huge frequency deviation as that graph does....5dB or more? No respectable manufacturer would put out an amp with a 5dB deviation in the upper mids (many headphone manufacturers apparently do however)  I'd question the testing protocols before I'd question any half way decent amp or DAC. FWIR, even tube amps are WAY flatter than that graph.  I've seen too many totally bizarre frequency graphs that go totally contrary to what my ears are hearing and also what others are hearing. I can't take some of those graphs seriously at all. 

post #43 of 43

Wow at the frequency response on the HD-600.  Might have to look into getting some of those.  :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio's sound engineer best headphones