stv014: I had a listen to the 80 ohm version, perhaps as you mention the 250 ohm version is better. For me either way, they are out due to lack of comfort (my ear doesn't fit in that tiny space), though I am interested to hear from someone who has heard the 250 ohm that can comment. Also you're right, the DT880s look particularly bad on the Golden Ears graphs though Headroom graphs do show a similar problem to a lesser degree and also make the HD600s look a little worse...
Yes, Zambz, a graph is a simple info
I never could stay more than 10mn with a HP on my head, I complain always the musician and artist, who have to suffer that all day long.
What do you think about grado alessandro music pro? couldn't find any graph @ goldenears.
I'll check @ InnerFidelity and HeadRoom
I'm sorry but I haven't heard the Alessandro / Grado phones myself mate, although I don't hear about them as much for studio use here. Not sure if they are made to sound neutral.
For what it's worth, moving between my SRH-840s and studio monitors is relatively seemless. I know that I'm going to get a bit more treble on the headphones and that's it. The amount of bass on the SRH-840s is about right compared to my monitors. What I will say about the SRH-840s is that they require a decent amount of burn in (between 100 to 200 hours) for the highs to smoothen out. Initially they were quite harsh in the highs. For me they are super comfortable, but I have read mixed results with the SRH-840s so you best put em on your noggin at a store to be sure. The weight of the headband is completely unnoticeable to me (it was at first but not now). The pads on the SRH-840s are the best pleather pads I have ever felt, they are incredibly soft and just down right cozy!
Here's a thorough comparison of lows, mids and highs vs the ADAM A7s....
- The ADAMS have a little more bass and punch a little more (probably true of most speakers vs headphones)
- The ADAMs have very slightly more mids than the SRH-840s
- The SRH-840s have a bit more treble which makes the monitors sound a little smoother in comparison. The monitors also produce upper frequencies a little better (17kHz - 20kHz) but that's likely due to the ribbon tweeters that go all the way up to 35kHz and don't roll off at all up to 20kHz. As such, the ADAMs sparkle better with well mixed material.
I was never a firm believer in burn-in, but I use my studio monitors 80% of the time and headphones the other 20% so I did not "get used" to the sound since the sound I am listening to most the time is my monitors and everything is referenced off them. I truly believe that burn-in is a real and legitimate concept. I burned them in by playing regular music at slightly louder than regular volume, perhaps pink noise would burn them in quicker but I didn't want to put them through constant pink noise
Edited by zambz - 2/19/12 at 3:34am