Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android: Poweramp vs PlayerPro vs Uber Music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android: Poweramp vs PlayerPro vs Uber Music

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Which one do you guys think is better? Mainly looking for sound quality (I'm using a Samsung Stratosphere). From what I can tell, PlayerPro sounds better than Poweramp but poweramp is more popular.. Haven't tried UberMusic yet
post #2 of 25

I have not used PlayerPro or UberMusic, but I have A-B tested PowerAmp against Neutron and Rockbox.  With my Samsung SGP 5.0.  For free you cannot beat Rockbox. Get a copy here:

 

http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

 

For a polished app with potential, PowerAmp is hard to beat.  It is not perfect, but it does a damn fine job.  The other apps I have tested sound about a good as PowerAmp at low volume, but PowerAmp is able to play 50%+ louder without distortion which is important when I plug into my car's receiver.  The user interface is virtually bug free and it is also probably one of the best laid out out off all of the players I have used. 

post #3 of 25

PowerAmp and Rockbox are the two players I use as well.

post #4 of 25

PowerAMP is #1 for me. I tried a few different player apps, including Neutron - PowerAMP wins IMO.

post #5 of 25

Poweramp does gapless, playerpro doesn't.  Nuff said!

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTone View Post

Poweramp does gapless, playerpro doesn't.  Nuff said!



Have you tried to play gapless MP3 with Poweramp? Last I tried the transition between tracks weren't perfect. Gapless, yes, but there was some noise that shouldn't be there. Maybe it has been fixed now. But that was the reason why I chose Neutron. 

post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post



Have you tried to play gapless MP3 with Poweramp? Last I tried the transition between tracks weren't perfect. Gapless, yes, but there was some noise that shouldn't be there. Maybe it has been fixed now. But that was the reason why I chose Neutron. 



I've had occasional issues with poweramp.  Resetting the program data has always cleared them up, though, and I'm very happy with the program overall.  My only complaint is that star ratings aren't stored into mp3 tags, but that's supposedly coming in the future.

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post



Have you tried to play gapless MP3 with Poweramp? Last I tried the transition between tracks weren't perfect. Gapless, yes, but there was some noise that shouldn't be there. Maybe it has been fixed now. But that was the reason why I chose Neutron. 



I haven't noticed any gapless glitches at all.

post #9 of 25


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTone View Post



I haven't noticed any gapless glitches at all.



I just checked again. I couldn't hear any glitches either this time, so it seems to be fixed. So if gapless is important, Poweramp would be an obvious choice over Player Pro and Uber Music.

post #10 of 25
The Android OS causes my music to stutter or skip occasionally - no matter what app I use. But, PowerAMP is indeed gapless. And this is despite Android being annoying.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

The Android OS causes my music to stutter or skip occasionally - no matter what app I use. But, PowerAMP is indeed gapless. And this is despite Android being annoying.

 

I had a problem with this too with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.  It really pissed my off, but ultimately I figured out that I had to set PowerAmp's Audio Thread Priority to "highest" under the Advanced Tweaks settings.  That cured the skipping.  I thought tweaking the buffer in the settings menu would help, but it made it worse...I left that setting on "Auto" like it was by default.  I don't know if other players let you set the thread priority like PowerAmp allows.  On a side note, variable bit rate files seemed to cause skipping much more frequently than CBR files did.


 

 

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kracker View Post

 

I had a problem with this too with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.  It really pissed my off, but ultimately I figured out that I had to set PowerAmp's Audio Thread Priority to "highest" under the Advanced Tweaks settings.  That cured the skipping.  I thought tweaking the buffer in the settings menu would help, but it made it worse...I left that setting on "Auto" like it was by default.  I don't know if other players let you set the thread priority like PowerAmp allows.  On a side note, variable bit rate files seemed to cause skipping much more frequently than CBR files did.


 

 



I've had no skipping issues at all, thankfully.  

 

That's the hard part about android phones...so many variants that can all have their own little issues and bugs.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kracker View Post

 

I had a problem with this too with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.  It really pissed my off, but ultimately I figured out that I had to set PowerAmp's Audio Thread Priority to "highest" under the Advanced Tweaks settings.  That cured the skipping.  I thought tweaking the buffer in the settings menu would help, but it made it worse...I left that setting on "Auto" like it was by default.  I don't know if other players let you set the thread priority like PowerAmp allows.  On a side note, variable bit rate files seemed to cause skipping much more frequently than CBR files did.


 

 


Unfortunately that doesn't work on my Atrix 4G,...I tried. My phone is fickle.

PS: VBR - FTW!!! tongue.gif
Edited by tds101 - 2/23/12 at 4:21am
post #14 of 25

I don't think the software plays a big difference, or any. Its just the GUI that you may or may not prefer.

post #15 of 25

Testing PowerAmp right now, pretty happy with it, will probably buy it L3000.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android: Poweramp vs PlayerPro vs Uber Music