Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Like Metal, but don't like the cookie monster death vocals? ...Have you listened to Opeth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Like Metal, but don't like the cookie monster death vocals? ...Have you listened to Opeth? - Page 3

post #31 of 57

123758.jpg

 

The album for the song Blood:

 (it's super heavy, technical, clean, and fairly accessible too)

 

Their logo as of most recently

tomeranewep.jpg

 

The heaviest metal (amelodic Meshuggah kind of heavy) I can enjoy has this cover:

Image0001.JPG

 

 

Give me some times and I'll find you hundreds of non-violent, non-death themed metal album arts.

 

But in the end what is an album cover to the music? (other than a reflection of it! lol!... to answer myself) But I think everyone loves epic album covers, and you won't find anything more creative and epic than metal music album covers. In fact, we said it, there exist so many kinds of metal, you are sure to find something you like.

 

That's the CD I bought and had me surprised (because the music is not that heavy, lol, it's nu-metal), and disgusted my mother:

cover.jpg


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/11/12 at 3:05pm
post #32 of 57

As a huge Opeth fan. I am very dissapointed in their last 2 albums. Morningrise is a masterpiece.

post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreddy View Post

As a huge Opeth fan. I am very dissapointed in their last 2 albums. Morningrise is a masterpiece.


Depends how you look at it, they have enough albums, that a change is welcome, if you want to listen to morningrise, you listen to morningrise, if they just rewrote the album, then it would get seriously boring, and repetitive...

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

Depends how you look at it, they have enough albums, that a change is welcome, if you want to listen to morningrise, you listen to morningrise, if they just rewrote the album, then it would get seriously boring, and repetitive...

 

Sometimes I keep wishing for more of the same thing/album from a band, and they can't seem to give it to me.

 

All artist run out of inspiration, unused notes patterns, instruments, things to sing about... some manage to remain good for an incredible while though! Some redefine their style and bring up a new hype too... but I think it's fairly logical that the least you have produced, the more you still have to produce, in the field of creative artistry (but I'm really only speaking for music I've experienced). Kind of like a battery that you recharge and that looses some of its capacity with time.

post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

Sometimes I keep wishing for more of the same thing/album from a band, and they can't seem to give it to me.

 

All artist run out of inspiration, unused notes patterns, instruments, things to sing about... some manage to remain good for an incredible while though! Some redefine their style and bring up a new hype too... but I think it's fairly logical that the least you have produced, the more you still have to produce, in the field of creative artistry (but I'm really only speaking for music I've experienced). Kind of like a battery that you recharge and that looses some of its capacity with time.


Music is infinite, any sound can be used in music, even when restricted to the 12chromatic notes, and all of the different note-values, music has near infinite possibilites, throw in a few more instruments, the whole of the spoken language of the world, every sound a person can produce, etc. A band running out of inspiration is not the same as running out of ideas, and possibilites.
Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, not running out of ideas.

post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

Music is infinite, any sound can be used in music, even when restricted to the 12chromatic notes, and all of the different note-values, music has near infinite possibilites, throw in a few more instruments, the whole of the spoken language of the world, every sound a person can produce, etc. A band running out of inspiration is not the same as running out of ideas, and possibilites.
Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, not running out of ideas.

 

Yeah but I think all those possibility are far from a few human beings' limited reach. Although ideas and inspiration are different concepts, I think they both overlaps a fair bit, and fade away together (or loose in quality; yes not all ideas are equal). Ideas of what to do with your instrument, or what to write/compose, are not as infinite as how the music can be.

 

When you take a band and a style, a genre --metal-- you're already beginning to be governed by some rules, in the choice of instruments and patterns.

 

"Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, not running out of ideas." what do you mean? It's the guy who listens to the music who gets bored, and not the band who becomes boring over time?

post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

Yeah but I think all those possibility are far from a few human beings' limited reach. Although ideas and inspiration are different concepts, I think they both overlaps a fair bit, and fade away together (or loose in quality; yes not all ideas are equal). Ideas of what to do with your instrument, or what to write/compose, are not as infinite as how the music can be.

 

When you take a band and a style, a genre --metal-- you're already beginning to be governed by some rules, in the choice of instruments and patterns.

 

"Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, not running out of ideas." what do you mean? It's the guy who listens to the music who gets bored, and not the band who becomes boring over time?


There are people out there who can sit with one instrument, and make it seem like everything you know about music is just a tiny fraction of what's out there. People can certainly make music seem infinite, Our reach is limited only by our life spans and determination really. 

I play some metal, and some jazz, and I can tell you, that choosing a style of music to play will only limit someone who chooses to let it limit them, others choose to just play Music, and enjoy playing music, metal doesn't have 'set rules' as such, it has many stereotypes, cliches, themes, structures etc. but it is not limited to them.

When I say Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, I'm saying that the band will get so used to the music they play, and how they play it, they will start drawing influence from themselves, and become trapped in playing the same thing.

post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post


There are people out there who can sit with one instrument, and make it seem like everything you know about music is just a tiny fraction of what's out there. People can certainly make music seem infinite, Our reach is limited only by our life spans and determination really. 

I play some metal, and some jazz, and I can tell you, that choosing a style of music to play will only limit someone who chooses to let it limit them, others choose to just play Music, and enjoy playing music, metal doesn't have 'set rules' as such, it has many stereotypes, cliches, themes, structures etc. but it is not limited to them.

When I say Degeneracy within bands is out of becoming set in one mindset, I'm saying that the band will get so used to the music they play, and how they play it, they will start drawing influence from themselves, and become trapped in playing the same thing.

 

Oh yeah I would definitely agree with your third paragraph!

 

Well there is got to be, maybe not rules, but an etiquette to wear to be classified as "metal"...

 

I don't think no one has "Music" completely, or does just play Music... they use patterns, chords, time signatures, all of which makes up for an ultra-limited, already defined, set of words and rules to make sentences that sounds harmonious and good in a human, psychoacoustic interpretation, kind of way... You can't deny that there are rules, you just don't go around putting notes of any value anywhere after your clef. Artists as we know them make a melody, a rythm, a beat, a phrase, a mood, stuff that has very little extension and that is very confined in the world that is Music. Most of the music that gets produced everyday circles around a very small ground of pixels on the super HD screen that is music. Yes there will always be stuff to be impressed about and to make you realize that the more you know the more you realize you do not know much; but both popular popular artists and those who will redefine all you knew about music are never too far some that group of pixels.

 

I keep on thinking people are not doing complete inventions from scratches, these days with Music, and are only making salads and mixes of the ingredients they already have or know about. Creativity is more about the audacity and boldness to associate/connect two ideas that no one would have ever thought of connecting together, than inventing a new primary color.


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/28/12 at 4:09am
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

 

I keep on thinking people are not doing complete inventions from scratches, these days with Music, and are only making salads and mixes of the ingredients they already have or know about. Creativity is more about the audacity and boldness to associate/connect two ideas that no one would have ever thought of connecting together, than inventing a new primary color.

 

There have been composers who use random selection of both note length, and pitch to compose with, but just the same as with art, random stuff thrown at a canvas tends to look like random stuff thrown at a canvas...
People don't want to listen to random noise... So there isn't really a market for it.

I think of music more like a language, where you have to make it make sense, random letters on a page mean nothing, but a well crafted story is really amazing.

post #40 of 57

How about Animals as Leaders. There are no vocals!

post #41 of 57

This is absolutely THE FUNNIEST subject line I have ever seen on the Internet!biggrin.gif

 

Thanks for almost making me choke on my food!tongue_smile.gif

post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinAg View Post

How about Animals as Leaders. There are no vocals!



AAL is awesome, As is TRAM

post #43 of 57
In the Let's Talk Metal thread, someone mentioned The Deadstation. They have a free album out on bandcamp.com. They kind of sound like Dream Theater mixed with TesseracT to me.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinAg View Post

In the Let's Talk Metal thread, someone mentioned The Deadstation. They have a free album out on bandcamp.com. They kind of sound like Dream Theater mixed with TesseracT to me.
Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

 

Great band.  Another band to try out is Skyharbor.

post #45 of 57

A band I've become fond of is Borknagar. Took me some time to get used to them, though. It's a shame that Spotify only has one of their albums.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Like Metal, but don't like the cookie monster death vocals? ...Have you listened to Opeth?