Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Massive price increase on Sennheiser HD650?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Massive price increase on Sennheiser HD650?

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

 The price of HD650 on Amazon (and everywhere else) is now $499, but 2-3 months ago, it was only $340. What happened? Will the price come down again?

post #2 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodNameslol View Post

 The price of HD650 on Amazon (and everywhere else) is now $499, but 2-3 months ago, it was only $340. What happened? Will the price come down again?


Just in time for tax returns.

 

Prices fluctuate based on projected market. It'll drop steeply shortly.

 

Very best,

post #3 of 54
$340 could be refurbished. Sennheiser often sells refurbs at heavy discounts.
post #4 of 54
Thread Starter 

Im pretty sure they're new on Amazon

post #5 of 54

Probably to make the price closer to the HD700 (and make the HD700 an attractive purchase, being priced exactly between HD650 and hd800)

post #6 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime1213 View Post

Probably to make the price closer to the HD700 (and make the HD700 an attractive purchase, being priced exactly between HD650 and hd800)



 That's what I thought too

post #7 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post


Just in time for tax returns.

 

Prices fluctuate based on projected market. It'll drop steeply shortly.

 

Very best,


 Hopefully it will 

 

post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime1213 View Post

Probably to make the price closer to the HD700 (and make the HD700 an attractive purchase, being priced exactly between HD650 and hd800)

This is my belief as well. Let's hope MalVeaux is right.
post #9 of 54
The prices fluctuate widely over time on Amazon. I expect you'll see them below $400 at some point in the next couple of months. It may also be worth calling B&H or J&R to see what price they'll give you over the phone.
post #10 of 54

You might be interested in looking at this website, it shows you how the prices on amazon have changed.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/product/B00018MSNI

post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLi View Post

You might be interested in looking at this website, it shows you how the prices on amazon have changed.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/product/B00018MSNI

very interesting
post #12 of 54

The HD800 was releaased after CES 2009, and the prices for the HD650 were at $500 or so as well during that time.

post #13 of 54

There was an article somewhere, can't remember where now, that explained why this is happening:

 

Sennheiser is going to start enforcing MAPs through authorized retailers more aggressively now (hence why everyone wants $499.95 - SRP - for the HD 650 now, and $249.95 - SRP - for the 598), and requiring them to conform to the MAP in order to be authorized (and hence be able to provide a legitimate warranty). The HD 598 has seen the same re-pricing to SRP in the last few months (alongside many other Sennheiser products). 

 

 

 

 


Edited by obobskivich - 2/16/12 at 7:42pm
post #14 of 54
post #15 of 54

My HD-650 sound better when Amazon sells them for $500. At $350 they don't sound so good. The Denon D2000 and D5000 had also huge Amazon price variations in the last months. At Amazon you can call them for a price adjustment after 30 days of purchase. I always check for price reductions after a purchase. On occasion I've gotten a refund. Best Buy has the same policy.


Edited by BrunoS72 - 2/16/12 at 7:51pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Massive price increase on Sennheiser HD650?