- 122 Posts. Joined 4/2006
- Location: Steamy Singapore
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Stax protection Last post on 2/5/15 at 5:04am in High-end Audio Forum
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 1/17/16 at 3:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009 Last post on 12/3/14 at 9:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax 009: Advice on Buying used Last post on 11/15/14 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Stax SR-009 vs. Wilson Audio - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
2 Amps ? Which amp do you own besides the BHSE ?
Edited by bmichels - 7/18/13 at 4:53am
So you prefer the BHSE to the Woo WES ? Humm... very interesting ... could you please elaborate and explain why you changed from Woo WEs to BHSE ?
have both, would never ever get rid of either.
same thing with the B&W 801 and quad esl63
the stax (even all of them together in one box) (and likely including every electrostatic amplifier) still weigh a small fraction of the wilsons
thinking of buying a set of b&w 800 diamond soon.
Just do it.......
...and then take a hit for the boys, and get the new Sennheiser Orpheus. You know you want to.......
But, but, it's not for real use..... It's a status symbol..... bragging rights are on the line here.....
Older wilson designs (early 2000s) used titanium and aluminum drivers, which simply cannot physically match the speed of a high end, nano-film electrostatic driver. They now use doped-paper drivers, which while nice and smooth sounding, again are physically limited by the driver materials speed of sound.
Going to have to jack this image from Brush Wellman again (primarily global beryllium supplier for audio companies):
Beryllium is 2.5x faster, and CVD Diamond (Vapor Deposited Carbon) drivers are 3.5x faster than typical titanium/aluminum drivers.
If you want something that will give you the sense of speed of a Stax SR-009 headphone (or even exceeding it), ideally you should be looking at Raidho D-Series with ribbon tweeters and diamond woofers. Alternatively, Revel Ultima 2 series and Pioneer TAD Reference/Evolution series would give you a good sense of speed as well. Those Wilson speakers are going to be smooth, but relatively slow sounding in comparison.
Edited by alcoholbob - 1/9/17 at 10:21pm
- Stax SR-009 vs. Wilson Audio
- › Home-Made IEMs 18 seconds ago
- › Xonar Essence STX gain not working 27 seconds ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 29 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear