Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 356  

post #5326 of 5343
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

 

Open cans don't always have better SQ. If you see my multi hp review(on my sig), I rate the SRH940(closed) higher than HD598(open). I would go for DT1350 instead of getting a cheap travel phone, because if you buy good home phone, you never want to use your portable phone.

 

 

Yeah, I thought about that too. I guess they'll just have to wait.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

They are decent with out amp, but with my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, they bloom. They are fine to be used unamped.

 

     Great, I'll keep that in mind. In case of buying an amp (in the future) I was thinking of JDS' Bass Boost cMoy v2.03. What do you think about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

I'm too quick!L3000.gif

Anyways, I thought I might put this out there: DT1350 pairs well with sansa clip zip.

 

     Do you think they pair well with rockboxed iPod classic?

post #5327 of 5343

Hello,

I'm looking for some higher end IEM's (e.g. shure 535, ue 900, ck100pro) since my ck10's died on me.

Although the ck100pro's seem like a logical upgrade, I've heard that its more of a treble monster than the ck10's and I'm not sure I could handle any more treble than the ck10's.

My musical choices have changed since I bought the ck10's so I wouldn't mind a warmer sound signature.

 

Analytical>=Warm>Dark
Isolation, fit and comfort are key

Outstanding build quality (these will go through hard use and lots of travelling)

No amp, will be used on i-device

Must be <= $400 and will be buying on amazon.jp 

 

I listen to (from most listened - least listened):

jpop (mostly female vocals)

electronic

classical

dance

dubstep

 


Thank you
 

post #5328 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbbvb View Post

[...]


My budget is around $300 in total. 

 

[...]

 

Most of the time I listen to deep-house, progressive house, progressive trance and occasionally to hip-hop but not so much. With my genre I enjoy 3 particular things. First of all the bass. I like strong bass but not in a way that it has to be the main part of the sound. I like it more as a guidance for the sound, it should be leading the rhythm instead of overshadowing the rest of the sound (maybe this is called balance?). For what is't worth I find the bass from the Shure E2C enough. Second, the vocals. I like the vocals to be clear and upfront (I think on this forum you call this aggressive). I think this is the most important aspect for me. The songs I love the most have almost always female vocals in it. The last thing that is very important for me are the little (hidden) sounds. I don't know how to describe this better and the problem is that these sounds can be on the lower aspect or higher aspect. Maybe you guys call this detailed. 

 

I read the 'Describing Sound A Glossary' and the list below is what I think I want from my source and headphones:

 

  • Aggressive (vocals)
  • Analytical
  • Balance
  • Good bass (but not overdone maybe called Grip?)
  • Detailed
  • Full (not sure if this strokes with aggressive vocals?)
  • Good soundstage in width, depth and height
  • I think speed and timing is important with my genre
  • Transparant

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Ortofon EQ5/7, Heir audio 4.ai(vocals are not as aggressive), SE535 and UE900(vocals are not as aggressive).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbbvb View Post

 

Thanks for your quick reply. I searched those headphones and the SE535 and UE900 are too pricey (I can't find them under $300). Heir audio 4.ai is I think a bit lacking in bass (and also too pricey). Ortofon are I think good options and I think I like the E-Q5 more than the E-Q7. Is the E-Q5 much better than a Vsonic GR07 MKII? And if I buy the E-Q5 shall I just use them with my iPhone or should I buy a Colorfly C3. Because the Orton E-Q5 are $200 so I have $100 'left' to spend.

 

I love my e-Q5, but I would be lying if I'd agree that they have strong bass. IMO, a good dynamic (like the TDK IE800, the Sennheiser IE80 or supposedly the FX700) has a more natural quality to the bass than balanced or moving armatures have. Having said that, I used to have the E2c and from memory the bass on the e-Q5 is definitely better. I personally prefer a good dynamic IEM for the genres you listen to, but I must agree with kimvictor that on paper the e-q5 satisfies all the criteria on the list above. In either case, they are technically much better than the E2C.

 

Sorry to add confusion, but I wanted to make this clear before you purchase your new set of IEMs!

post #5329 of 5343

Greetings all,

 

I am interested in getting a Shure SE215 for myself but i am wondering is there a difference in sound quality between all the SE215s?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215LTD-Isolating-Earphones-Enhanced/dp/B009ZNFEEU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-4&keywords=shure+se215

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-1&keywords=shure+se215

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-CL-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004PO10E2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-2&keywords=shure+se215

 

[Mod Edit] - Above links edited to remove affiliate tags.

 

Is there a significant difference in sound quality or the price difference between them is only about the appearance?

 

Thanks.

post #5330 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh133 View Post

Hey guys.. been a while since I've headed over to portable audio. I'm looking for some IEMs for around $250 for post-rock/acoustic folk/rock/ambient. Something with an excellent soundstage, beautiful mids, airy highs and deep, punchy bass.. though I don't need bass in high quantity, more just punchy for kick drums etc.


Any suggestions?

If you can stretch your budget by about $25 to around $275 shipped at the current exchange rate, I think the Final Audio Design Heaven V might be a good fit. You'd need to go through something like Tenso to get that price though, from Amazon Japan.

I posted some really long impressions a few days ago. Sorry in advance about the length if you decide to read them. Link to impressions.

Another set of impressions.

They are pretty new so more opinions may be hard to come by =/
Edited by vwinter - 6/4/13 at 1:55pm
post #5331 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exci View Post



I love my e-Q5, but I would be lying if I'd agree that they have strong bass. IMO, a good dynamic (like the TDK IE800, the Sennheiser IE80 or supposedly the FX700) has a more natural quality to the bass than balanced or moving armatures have. Having said that, I used to have the E2c and from memory the bass on the e-Q5 is definitely better. I personally prefer a good dynamic IEM for the genres you listen to, but I must agree with kimvictor that on paper the e-q5 satisfies all the criteria on the list above. In either case, they are technically much better than the E2C.

Sorry to add confusion, but I wanted to make this clear before you purchase your new set of IEMs!

Don't apologize! I really appreciate your help. I just ordered the E-Q5 this morning (GMT+1) so I already purchased them. But I found a shop in my own country so it's easy for me to return them if I don't like them. I understand they are not bassy but I find the E2C bassy enough so I think the E-Q5 will suit my needs. Bass is needed for my kind of music but I find bass to get dominance over the rest of the sound rather quickly. If the E-Q5 is lacking bass I will come back and will say you we're right and will try your suggestions. smily_headphones1.gif
post #5332 of 5343

Need some IEM recommendation:

 

I am a Metal head. Recently, I lost my RE-262. Before I decide to buy the RE-400, I wanted to check out the models from cheaper brands like Meelectronics, Brainwavz, Dunu, Astrotec etc.. My favorite metal iem so far has been RE-262. Can someone make suitable recommendations for an IEM which could run out of COWON C2 costs less that $70 with a fairly good build quality.

post #5333 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

LOL, well okay then... I have a suspicion that the Denon AH-C300 will fit the bill nicely.  I haven't heard it yet, but I've been receiving impressions from friends about it.  If you'd like to wait a day or two, my pair should be here soon - at which time I can give you a definite rec (or not).

 

Okay yeah i would like that

 

If you recommend them ill get them.

 

Cool, they should be here sometime today.  BTW, don't necessarily go just on my word, but I'll do my best to give you honest and straight up impressions.  smile.gif  That, combined with existing reviews, should be some decent info to consider. 

 

Hey sammyvine, I just got the Denon AH-C300 here and have some initial impressions for you.  In short, you're going to want these.  Let me point out why given your previously stated requirements:

 

  • Consistently emphasized a strong preference for bass
  • Used for Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, and Garage
  • Wanted for trekking out and about, as well as on a train
  • Also wanted for gym use.

 

Since one of your primary desires is bass response, I can tell you that these will definitely satisfy you.  They have about as much bass - in terms of both sub-bass extension and mid-bass bloom - as any pair of IEM or headphones I've ever heard.  This works out well for all the genres you listen to.  But the best part is that neither the mids nor the highs are recessed per se.  You simply get more low frequency response whenever it is needed.  This will work out well for when you need to hear vocals (R&B) and fast detailing (Garage).

 

Lemme put it this way... try to picture a really engrossing home theater system.  It's not bass bass bass all the time.  But when it hits, you DEFINITELY know it.

 

This also works to your advantage when you're out in public transit.  Because there is more than ample bass, you shouldn't have to turn the volume up to overcome the low frequency rumbles of busses, trains, or even passing traffic.  In the long run, this is a good thing.  Constantly turning up your levels just to get good bass can lead to premature hearing damage.

 

And finally, for city and gym use, I believe you'll be pretty happy with these.  The build and materials are pretty tough.  Both the cables and the strain reliefs are sturdy and resilient.  And the housings themselves have an ear fit attachment that actually works (unlike some other brands that I've tried).

 

Is there a con to the sound?  For you, I don't imagine there will be because you've been asking for moar bass for a while.  But for anyone that's not a basshead, I could easily see where it would become fatiguing in short order.

 

Anyway, if you'd like to track down a demo model somewhere to confirm everything above, please feel free.  Hope that helps!  smile.gif

post #5334 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbbvb View Post


Don't apologize! I really appreciate your help. I just ordered the E-Q5 this morning (GMT+1) so I already purchased them. But I found a shop in my own country so it's easy for me to return them if I don't like them. I understand they are not bassy but I find the E2C bassy enough so I think the E-Q5 will suit my needs. Bass is needed for my kind of music but I find bass to get dominance over the rest of the sound rather quickly. If the E-Q5 is lacking bass I will come back and will say you we're right and will try your suggestions. smily_headphones1.gif

Don't get me wrong, the e-q5 fit your criteria nicely, especially coming from the E2c. Just wanted to put it out there in case you wanted stronger bass. :) FWIW, Grado recommends to burn moving armatures in for approx. 100 hours, They also respond quite nicely to a little bass boost, so don't be afraid to play around with your settings!

post #5335 of 5343

hi, I'd like some advice.

I'm looking for over the ear headphones or IEM and my preferences are:

  • street use, not too big
  • noise isolation
  • no leaks, office use too
  • any kind of music, mainly rock and metal.
  • 100-300$
  • I like bass but I don't want to sacrifice mids, I'm using klipsch image S4 and I like them a lot
  • I will use them with an iPod video, a computer and sometimes a Nexus 4

 

I'm reading reviews from 

  • VModa M80
  • Beyerdynamic DT1350
  • Senheisser HD25-1 ii
  • JVC FXT90
  • Shure SHSE215CL
  • Denon AHD2000
  • AKG K 450
  • Shure SRH550DJ

and

  • VModa M100
  • Sony MDR1
  • Senheisser Momentum

 

Do you have any comments or advices?

 

Thank you very much for your help.


Edited by guille30 - 6/4/13 at 3:44pm
post #5336 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitani123 View Post

Hello,

I'm looking for some higher end IEM's (e.g. shure 535, ue 900, ck100pro) since my ck10's died on me.

Although the ck100pro's seem like a logical upgrade, I've heard that its more of a treble monster than the ck10's and I'm not sure I could handle any more treble than the ck10's.

My musical choices have changed since I bought the ck10's so I wouldn't mind a warmer sound signature.

 

Analytical>=Warm>Dark
Isolation, fit and comfort are key

Outstanding build quality (these will go through hard use and lots of travelling)

No amp, will be used on i-device

Must be <= $400 and will be buying on amazon.jp 

 

I listen to (from most listened - least listened):

jpop (mostly female vocals)

electronic

classical

dance

dubstep

 


Thank you
 

UE900 is fairly analytical with some warmth. They also have good sound stage, making it suitable for jpop and classical. They have good comfort and isolation along with great build quality. If you want more analytical kind of sound, look at heir 4.ai. They use TWFK, which are known to be clear and analytical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztuvieja View Post

 

     Great, I'll keep that in mind. In case of buying an amp (in the future) I was thinking of JDS' Bass Boost cMoy v2.03. What do you think about that?

 

     Do you think they pair well with rockboxed iPod classic?

I think cMoy would pair well(from reviews on their sound sig) and I can't comment on iPod classic because I don't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkomeng View Post

Greetings all,

 

I am interested in getting a Shure SE215 for myself but i am wondering is there a difference in sound quality between all the SE215s?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215LTD-Isolating-Earphones-Enhanced/dp/B009ZNFEEU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-4&keywords=shure+se215

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-1&keywords=shure+se215

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-CL-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004PO10E2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370374069&sr=1-2&keywords=shure+se215

 

[Mod Edit] - Above links edited to remove affiliate tags.

 

Is there a significant difference in sound quality or the price difference between them is only about the appearance?

 

Thanks.

SE215LTD has enhanced bass. It has more bass and more extended bass. K and CL is just a color difference. K is black and CL is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille30 View Post

hi, I'd like some advice.

I'm looking for over the ear headphones or IEM and my preferences are:

  • street use, not too big
  • noise isolation
  • no leaks, office use too
  • any kind of music, mainly rock and metal.
  • 100-300$
  • I like bass but I don't want to sacrifice mids, I'm using klipsch image S4 and I like them a lot
  • I will use them with an iPod video, a computer and sometimes a Nexus 4

 

I'm reading reviews from 

  • VModa M80
  • Beyerdynamic DT1350
  • Senheisser HD25-1 ii
  • JVC FXT90
  • Shure SHSE215CL
  • Denon AHD2000
  • AKG K 450
  • Shure SRH550DJ

and

  • VModa M100
  • Sony MDR1
  • Senheisser Momentum

 

Do you have any comments or advices?

 

Thank you very much for your help.

If you like S4, you like lots of bass. VModa M100(lacks isolation), SE215LTD(you need more bass than normal SE215), M80(lacks isolation), and Momentum is my suggestion.

post #5337 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post

Need some IEM recommendation:

 

I am a Metal head. Recently, I lost my RE-262. Before I decide to buy the RE-400, I wanted to check out the models from cheaper brands like Meelectronics, Brainwavz, Dunu, Astrotec etc.. My favorite metal iem so far has been RE-262. Can someone make suitable recommendations for an IEM which could run out of COWON C2 costs less that $70 with a fairly good build quality.

I have no idea what I should recommend you.

Got any idea warrenpchi?

post #5338 of 5343

Hello everyone, would love some opinions on what type of closed headphones to go for my next purchase.

 

I've been looking at V-moda M-80 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Pro(Or 80 Pro) lately for a portable-ish set. Headphones would take over for EDM/Modern styles of music for the most part but would like to be able to use them for all types of music. Read a lot of good reviews for the Vmoda's, as far as I understand they have a balanced sound overall (Little concerned that they are being likened to Beats though.) Beyerdynamics tradeoff would be their size and impedance and that they have a V signature. Additional recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks for the time to check this post.

post #5339 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post

Need some IEM recommendation:

 

I am a Metal head. Recently, I lost my RE-262. Before I decide to buy the RE-400, I wanted to check out the models from cheaper brands like Meelectronics, Brainwavz, Dunu, Astrotec etc.. My favorite metal iem so far has been RE-262. Can someone make suitable recommendations for an IEM which could run out of COWON C2 costs less that $70 with a fairly good build quality.

 

I have no idea what I should recommend you.

Got any idea warrenpchi?

 

LOL, in addition to mentioning a bunch of stuff I don't have, he just happened to pick one of three genres that I don't really listen to (the other two being Rap and Chinese Opera).  I'm guessing that he's going to want some super fast, super tight bass... with forward but not shouty mids... and somewhat rolled off highs so as to not bleed from the ears.  Based on that, I think he's on the right track with the RE-400.  BTW wrath, the RE-400 is pretty darn good.  Try not to think of it as a $100 IEM.  Try to think of it as a $180 IEM for only $100.

post #5340 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBateman View Post

Hello everyone, would love some opinions on what type of closed headphones to go for my next purchase.

 

I've been looking at V-moda M-80 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Pro(Or 80 Pro) lately for a portable-ish set. Headphones would take over for EDM/Modern styles of music for the most part but would like to be able to use them for all types of music. Read a lot of good reviews for the Vmoda's, as far as I understand they have a balanced sound overall (Little concerned that they are being likened to Beats though.) Beyerdynamics tradeoff would be their size and impedance and that they have a V signature. Additional recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks for the time to check this post.

 

The V-Moda M-80 is a safe bet here.  Not only is it the least Beats-like model they make (sound-wise), but it's also relatively balanced in it's own right.  It is FAR more portable than the DT770, which is a plus if you intend to step out with them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!