Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 326  

post #4876 of 5343

no, i had the mkII

post #4877 of 5343

Wow!  Busy morning here!  biggrin.gif  Getting some coffee, be right back...

 


 

Okay, here we go!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagrump777 View Post

Another one that comes to mind is the Velodyne Vpulse. From what I've heard (from other Head-Fi'ers) the bass hits hard and goes pretty deep. Plus, it's fairly less expensive, around $99 last time I checked.

 

You know, I've never heard the VPulse, but that's my understanding too from what VERY trusted fellow Head-Fiers have told me.  I can't quite give it a rec until I get an audition it of course.  But I trust the fellow members enough that - if that's the signature I were going for - I'd be okay with making a blind purchase based on their recs.

 

Another IEM to consider is the Sony XB60EX (which I have).  It has a nicely pronounced and warm mid-bass emphasis and decent sub-bass to boot.  Being a V signature, the mids are somewhat recessed and there's a bit of hopped-up treble to it, but it's not as bad as one would think when they hear "Sony XB".  And I believe that it's on sale right now at Amazon...

post #4878 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Hey warren. Yeah, I'm here... I've been in a funk with my Amprerior and HP100 in case you're wondering where I've been. I guess when people don't re-visit this thread that means you did an awesome job!

 

I wanted to say thanks, again. Also, I had a couple questions that have been eating my brain. I always was interested in the M80 since I first dove into this head-fi world... but never went for it. Even when I was searching for an on ear I went with the Amperior as you suggested.

 

As always, curiosity gets the best of me. Can you give me some comparisons between the two? Thanks! popcorn.gif

 

Ha!  Getting lost in the music is what it's all about so I'm with ya there mate!  ::fistbump::  Thanks for the kinds words, I'm just glad that you're having a good time!

 

The M-80 is a good pair of headphones - especially at the price I got it for ($130).  Versus the Amperior, what you're looking at is a tamer bass where the quantity is almost on par, but lacking a bit in punch, speed and texture.  The mids are more forward in a mid-centric (Grado-ish) kind of way... which is nice... but not great for all genres.  The highs are where the differences are most pronounced, and the M-80 is not as sparkly and airy as the Amperiors, being more relaxed and rolled off.

 

If you're really curious and can find a good deal on it, it'd be interesting to try out as it's rather remarkably balanced given what it is (portable streetish kind of cans)... but I have a feeling that its sig is probably not your cup of tea.

post #4879 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdl83 View Post

Are the JVC HAS400 with WS55 pads different enough to the JVC HAS500 with HM5 pads to warrant a purchase? Dont want them to sound the same.

 

Congratulations!  You win the stump of the day as I've absolutely no idea!  Sorry mate... frown.gif

post #4880 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy7 View Post

Hi I haven't really had any good iems for a while. but am looking to get a new pair asap. I've read a lot of posts today but am unsure of what to get. Price range is under 500$. I listen rnb and rock most of all and some electronic. have been considering westone 3 and 4, vsonic gr07 and sennheiser ie80. I like the westone s cause I previously had the westone 3 that was so comfortable for me. Thanks for any advice smily_headphones1.gif

 

Okay, first keep in mind that I have NOT heard it yet (as the USPS is currently in possession of my unit) but I would tip a slight nod towards the UE900.  I've recently been on the hunt for a multi-genre IEM that does a lot right, and not too much wrong, and that's the one I ended up picking based on recommendations from this thread actually.  Again, I cannot give it an actual rec at this time, but I'd be happy to post some initial impressions on it as soon as I get it (within a matter of days).  In the meantime, I do suggest that you cruise around Head-Fi for some reviews on it, as I believe it might just be what you're looking for.

post #4881 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzfux View Post

I currently have a UE600vi, and I owned a Sennheiser MM70i before that. My Sennheisers broke because I accidentally ripped it apart tongue.gif

 

I sense an interesting story behind that... are you sure about the "accidentally" part?  smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzfux View Post

The UEs are working well, however I don't like them because I feel that they are lacking in bass. Also, they are not as 'immersive' as I would like them to be, if that makes sense. 
As such, I am looking for a new pair of IEMs that have a heavier bass than the UEs with preferably better isolation the way it is (without the use of aftermarket tips)

The rest of the UE600 is fine though. My budget is not high, being at ~$75 USD. However, i'm willing to spend more if it doesn't exceed the budget too much. Also, I would like one with build-in mic, volume control and such is not necessary. If it doesn't have a mic though, it's fine with me . 

 

Aha!  As I have the UE600, I have a basis of comparison here.  Honestly, I'd go for the RHA MA450i.  What you lose in fidelity, you make up for with a whole LOTTA fun! 

 

If I'm understanding your sound requirements correctly, I think that will fit the bill nicely with its:  warmer and stronger bass and sub-bass response; lower-mid and mids focus for vocals; and a bump in the upper-mids for that extra bit of sparkle (and even a little air).

 

It'll run you about $50 USD and it comes with an iDevice remote/mic.

post #4882 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I'd say go for the RHA MA350 ($40).  If you want/need and iDevice remote and mic on it, get the RHA MA450i ($50) instead.

 

Thanks for the advice warrenpchi. Hadn't found anything on those yet. The reviews seem very good. I definitely like saving money but also am looking for quality sound. I am curious how do those compare to something like the ath-cks77?

 

Unfortunately, I've never auditioned the CKS77.  frown.gif  Might there be something else in my inventory (check my profile) that we have in common?

post #4883 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

searching for an iem, that resamples the sound of the sennheiser hd598. just smooth and airy with a touch of warmth. any suggestions? up to 400$ price range.

 

It's not quite there... but have you had a chance to audition the RE-400 yet?  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

post #4884 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vibe View Post

Hi the cable of my Meelectronics A161P just failed after daily usage (6 months) so I'm looking for new in ears as I have no backup at the moment..

 

budget: 100$ /80€ /70£

music: electro, trip hop, house...

good isolation

solid housing and cable, my Meelectronics were good (CC51 + A161P) but the cable failed after a few months only (and I care about my stuff)

 

I'm open to used iems too as soon as they're in perfect condition

 

Thanks in advance, I miss music

 

Hmm. kind of at a loss here mate.  I had briefly purchased the A161, but never got to try it as I cancelled my order in favor of the UE700, which was on sale at the time.  BTW, I would not advise the UE700 for you as I'm pretty sure it won't have the bass response that you would like.

 

Could you do me a favor and describe the signature that you are looking for?  Feel free to cite any models we have had in common (check my profile).  I might be able to help if we back out of it and approach it from that angle.  Thanks!

post #4885 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-LHR View Post

Greetings All! I've spent a lot of time reading through a lot of great opinions and reviews about the TDK BA200 and the Shure SE425. I would like to put a spin on the existing dialogues.

I recently lost my blessed Westone UM1s after 5 years of faithful use. I'm limiting my budget to a £150 Amazon gift card I happen to have burning a hole in my pocket and would be willing to chip in up to £20 on top.

Aiming for a similar in ear fit to the UM1 but upgrading to a dual armature drivers, I've narrowed my choices down to the TDK BA200 and Shure SE425 to fit my budget.

I have no shops to test them out so I'm putting my faith in you good folks. I will mostly be using these portably (walking, running, public transportation, gym) through my Samsung Galaxy S2 with PowerAmp and no external amp. I'm looking for the best mix of isolation, build quality and sound quality for the money. I mainly listen to a wide spectrum of rock ripped to high quality mp3 or FLAC.

Again, the prices are:
£140 - TDK BA200
£168 - Shure SE425

Any help and opinions would be gratefully received (before I go cross eyed!)! Thanks a bunch in advance!

 

Wow, I have not auditioned any of the units you mentioned.  If you feel so inclined, would you be up for describing the signature that you are looking for?  Feel free to cite any models we have had in common (check my profile).  I understand if you don't want to do that as it may add another model to the list under consideration.  biggrin.gif  In which case, we just gotta wait for someone else to jump in here.

post #4886 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

It's not quite there... but have you had a chance to audition the RE-400 yet?  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
ordered them the other day, should arrive next week. what about ba200?
post #4887 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Wow, I have not auditioned any of the units you mentioned.  If you feel so inclined, would you be up for describing the signature that you are looking for?  Feel free to cite any models we have had in common (check my profile).  I understand if you don't want to do that as it may add another model to the list under consideration.  biggrin.gif   In which case, we just gotta wait for someone else to jump in here.

Thanks for the reply, Warrenpchi. You have an impressive collection! I'm afraid that the Westone UM1 I mentioned losing in my post was my one and only. I fear that everyone's jaws are now wide open. 1. Yes, only 1 IEM. :-)

In terms of signature, I am looking for good instrument separation and equal balance/representation - not overly analytical but not overly accentuated in any one frequency range over another. One step from analytical towards lively and warm, not a leap.

All of that, of course, coupled with good isolation and build quality for an active lifestyle in a noisy city (London).

Any ideas in my price range besides the two I mentioned?
post #4888 of 5343

Any suggestions for iems that can be used while running, have a wide soundstage/bass and aren't muffled? Preferably durable since I don't take great care of my earphones. My price range is up to $30 but would like to spend no more than $20. Anyone recommend the Sony MDREX58Vs, Klipsch Image S4i, or Klipsch Image S4i- IIs? Or would the Sony MDRZX100 headphones work better for what I'm looking for? I was considering the Monoprice IEMs but I don't like how they look and since I'll be using these outside, I'd like them to look somewhat decent. Thank you!

post #4889 of 5343

Hello everyone,

 

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.

I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

 

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

 

Some examples are:

CMA - Without You

Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)

Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)

Kill Paris- I Do Love You

Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)

Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]

Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

 

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

 

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

 

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

 

Shure SRH840

 

 

 

 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms

 

V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

 

Ultrasone HFI-680

 

Ultrasone HFI-780

 

 

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

 

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

 

post #4890 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny-Lights View Post

Hello everyone,

 

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.

I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

 

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

 

Some examples are:

CMA - Without You

Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)

Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)

Kill Paris- I Do Love You

Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)

Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]

Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

 

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

 

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

 

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

 

Shure SRH840

 

 

 

 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms

 

V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

 

Ultrasone HFI-680

 

Ultrasone HFI-780

 

 

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

 

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

 

 

I used to own some Xtreme Xplosivs before venturing into the hifi world. If you liked those, then from what I've researched you should love the M80/V80. I have not heard it yet but am contemplating on giving it a try, myself. I keep hearing great things about it, especially for the price. I've been told it may not be my cup of tea but from what you are saying it may be perfect for you. Wait and see what warren has to say.

 

If he agrees, then I might be actually be getting good at this... biggrin.gif

 

Edit: Also, I used to own the SRH840 and it's a pretty neutral/balanced closed headphone.


Edited by Change is Good - 5/26/13 at 2:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!