Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 233  

post #3481 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Would strongly recommend just using the gel tips instead as they are fairly deep-insertion anyways, tri-flanges would be pushing it. Otherwise, yes they would fit.

 

A bit more smooth, just as warm, a tad bit more impact but the smoothness is reminiscent enough that it should matter little. Overall FR is similar, yes. Not an upgrade by any means, but a decent alternative. 

So basically I should just stick with another pair of UM2s?

post #3482 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound View Post

So basically I should just stick with another pair of UM2s?

If you liked them that much, don't see why you shouldn't buy another one. Whatever happened to the previous pair?

Anyways, seems like you're not looking for an upgrade anyways, so if that's the case...

Although tbh if you really want to save the cash the X10 or the BA200 get close enough performance-wise.

post #3483 of 5343

Hi, I am looking for my first higher end IEM here. I've been using Klipsch S4 for the past two years and the sound is starting to cut out on the left earpiece lately so I thought it's time for an upgrade. I don't really have any preference in sound signature right now but I usually listen to pop, rock, and a little bit of rap occasionally. Comfort and isolation are key for me since I will be using this during my 3hour commute and during work everyday, and reliability as I want them to last a while. I'm currently considering the following list right now but any suggestion ~$150 is welcome, absolute max I can spend is $200. I'm a bit hesitant about the over the ear fit for them but am willing to give it a try if it'll help eliminate cable noise.

 

GR07(MK2 or BE?), BA200, DBA02, SE215 LTD

post #3484 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze828 View Post

Hi, I am looking for my first higher end IEM here. I've been using Klipsch S4 for the past two years and the sound is starting to cut out on the left earpiece lately so I thought it's time for an upgrade. I don't really have any preference in sound signature right now but I usually listen to pop, rock, and a little bit of rap occasionally. Comfort and isolation are key for me since I will be using this during my 3hour commute and during work everyday, and reliability as I want them to last a while. I'm currently considering the following list right now but any suggestion ~$150 is welcome, absolute max I can spend is $200. I'm a bit hesitant about the over the ear fit for them but am willing to give it a try if it'll help eliminate cable noise.

 

GR07(MK2 or BE?), BA200, DBA02, SE215 LTD

No preferences makes things difficult. But for sheer comfort and isolation will go for the BA200. Good compromise between the three pieces of criteria, not leaving out anything significant (and yes over-ear is highly recommended for reducing microphonics).

post #3485 of 5343

Huge gamer here, but also with audiophile tendencies, im looking for something that can basically rattle my head with bass, but still has amazing clarity with high's and mid's, i also want to know sound card(this will be on a PC) and dac/amp choices which would be best. price limit of around 2k for all. I prefer over ear/closed, on ear kills after about 2 hours for me.

 

basically im looking for my headset to be a ath-ad700 with more bass, less FLIPPING GIGANTIC, but the same (or better) mids, and definitely better highs(the ad700's crackle at the 4k range), as well as some style due to the fact that i stream, with a nice amp/dac and sound card(currently have the fatality recon3d...its....a purchase i regret...)


Edited by Faydes - 3/26/13 at 11:12pm
post #3486 of 5343

Can someone please help me? I just cannot make a decision. Miracle, JH13Pro, or ES5. I already have my impression made, but I cannot pull the trigger on one of these iem.

 

I would like present bass that is well extended, slightly forward or neutral mid(cannot be recessed at all), and a bit sparkly(and extended) high. I don't mind small sound stage, but I enjoy good placement, speed, clarity, and detail. I listen to all kind of music varying from rock, acoustic, pop, hip-hop, and little bit of rap. Vocals, strings, and guitars are the key. And finally, I prefer engaging sound rather than laid back and relaxed sound.

 

I think I'm asking for too much. But I expect that much from a $1000 CIEM.

 

Here is why I can't make the decision: (I heard these things from reviewers)

Miracle: Too relaxed, not fun

JH13: Recessed Mids, bad build quality

ES5: Lacks clarity and treble is rolled off

Can anyone confirm if these assumptions are correct?

 

I am also willing to consider Frogbeat CIEMs.

 

 

Thank You!


Edited by kimvictor - 3/27/13 at 6:42am
post #3487 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Well the 4.Ai won't be doing any better vocal-wise, not to mention the stage is a bit less coherent, overall a bit more warmed-over. They'd probably be even less forward than the UEs. And the W4s, whilst being extremely proficient vocal-wise, are pretty much the anti-thesis to tight bass (it's nice but relative to the UEs...) and airiness. This is all without added impedance of course, otherwise the signature would likely get around to what you're looking for, but the power-siphoning and general inconvenience would be a rather significant deterrent for portable use.

 

At this point, you're pretty much at the end of your ropes. Personally I might go back to the UEs and experiment with EQing if you haven't already, since they had pretty much satisfied everything else you were looking for. Otherwise, the only other things left would be the Stax IEMs, which are a real hassle for RL usage, although the sound should be airy enough (don't quote me on this, I've only heard a friends briefly), or perhaps the F111 (if rumors about them being similar to the ER4P has substance) but can't give any direct experience on that front as, well, my DAP battery died as I was trying it :P

 

Some more unconventional ways to go would be to just bite the bullet and aim for customs, as the amount of time and money you're using experimenting on UIEMs could possibly be completely remedied  by spending good money on something like the UM Miracles (demos have a lot of the attributes you're enjoying on the UEs from memory, not to mention significantly more upper-mids/female vocal registers).

 

And of course, if the RE-400s I have here are any indication of how the RE-600s will turn out, might just wait for that. Something else you might be interested in as well could be the Tralucents. I might have access to a pair later on to demo, and the general impressions seem to lean towards naturalness, large immersive stage, a slight U-shape. Will let you know how that goes.

 

 

Thanks for the recs TwinQY, much appreciated :)

 

Yeah, i think customs prob is the way to go for me but there's so much hassle with customs and i'm still not sure if i should be spending that much on a pair of iem's. How does a mid tier custom compare to a uiem? Something like the V3, Mage etc.

 

Looking forward to your impressions :D

post #3488 of 5343
Quote:
Durable, microphone - and of course sound/signature preferences would be extremely helpful as well, but one to look at would be the E10M. Perhaps the MH1C if you can stand flat cables and J-cords. Again, not very well-versed in budget microphone IEMs, so sorry.

 

Of course -- sorry. I prefer a fairly balanced sound -- listen to a wide range of rock, hiphop, jazz and classical so looking for versatility.
post #3489 of 5343

hi guys, can anyone please help me out by choosing 1 out of these:

 

soundmagic e-30
brainwavs m1
brainwavs m3
Mee CC51 Earphones
Westone 1 Earphones
Beyerdynamic DTX71
Beyerdynamic DTX101

 

 

I prefer staying neutral when it comes to sound. I generally listen to a lot of gnres but I listen to linkin park and eminem the most, what would be the best iem for me out of those choices? Clarity is most important for me. I have with me an e11 if that'll help.


Edited by aexlii - 3/27/13 at 7:47am
post #3490 of 5343

Hi everybody,

 

Long time lurker, first time poster &c &c. I'm looking for a new pair of headphones! I generally prefer over-ear headphones, but am flexible on form; sound isolation (both going in and coming out) is very important to me; and inline iPhone controls would be a huge plus. Not sure what my preferred signature would be, but I like warm-sounding headphones and generally like bass. Genres are all over the place, but generally tends towards droney-abstract electronica and noise (Tim Hecker, Mountains, Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, Merzbow), metal (black, doom, stoner, grindcore) and hip-hop (old-school). Looking to spend around $100, located in Canada.

 

Thanks for any help--drowning in options--so help greatly appreciated!

post #3491 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

XB-500s - very textured, aggressive, bassy (well of course rolleyes.gif), crisp. 

PX100-II - warm, coherent, layered but smooth sound. 

ATs...sorry not too familiar with lower-budget portable AT cans. Again, maybe Wayne can step in here.

Went ahead and bought the PX100-II. Sounds good so far... Thanks for your time!

post #3492 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Sound preference (signature, etc), comfort, isolation, build preferences?

Good Comfort, neutral, isolation and build quality is just a plus.

post #3493 of 5343

Lately I'm having difficulty with my AKG Q315 so i decided that that's my chance to buy new pair of IEM.

 

*I loved my Q's but its time for higher level of SQ.

 

My budget includes 450$ for IEM (not including DAC or AMP or player).

 

I'm not an audiophile but not an average consumer - in between (I just like to listen to music in HQ)

 

The genres i mostly hear are: Chillstep (with female voice), Drum n Bass, Rock, Alt Rock, Pop (not much), Metal (no often), Blues, Jazz, Dance (club music - EDM), Rap, Hip hop, Dubstep...

 

I like Bass kicks/punches but I like detailed and good high instrumentals as well (and female voice) so I don't want the bass or the highs to "ruing each other".

 

*I'm using HTC ONE X as my player.

 

Thanks for all advisers 

 

post #3494 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Can someone please help me? I just cannot make a decision. Miracle, JH13Pro, or ES5. I already have my impression made, but I cannot pull the trigger on one of these iem.

 

I would like present bass that is well extended, slightly forward or neutral mid(cannot be recessed at all), and a bit sparkly(and extended) high. I don't mind small sound stage, but I enjoy good placement, speed, clarity, and detail. I listen to all kind of music varying from rock, acoustic, pop, hip-hop, and little bit of rap. Vocals, strings, and guitars are the key. And finally, I prefer engaging sound rather than laid back and relaxed sound.

 

I think I'm asking for too much. But I expect that much from a $1000 CIEM.

 

Here is why I can't make the decision: (I heard these things from reviewers)

Miracle: Too relaxed, not fun

JH13: Recessed Mids, bad build quality

ES5: Lacks clarity and treble is rolled off

Can anyone confirm if these assumptions are correct?

 

I am also willing to consider Frogbeat CIEMs.

 

Thank You!

Terribly sorry but have nigh to no experience with those 3 other than demos so would feel uncomfortable recommending from such a standpoint. Would have recommended you ask on the Multi-Custom IEM thread but from the looks of the OP average_joe does not have any of those under his belt (of course different variants like the JH16 and the PP6 but not the specifc ones in question). But perhaps one of the regulars there can help you out nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faydes View Post

Huge gamer here, but also with audiophile tendencies, im looking for something that can basically rattle my head with bass, but still has amazing clarity with high's and mid's, i also want to know sound card(this will be on a PC) and dac/amp choices which would be best. price limit of around 2k for all. I prefer over ear/closed, on ear kills after about 2 hours for me.

 

basically im looking for my headset to be a ath-ad700 with more bass, less FLIPPING GIGANTIC, but the same (or better) mids, and definitely better highs(the ad700's crackle at the 4k range), as well as some style due to the fact that i stream, with a nice amp/dac and sound card(currently have the fatality recon3d...its....a purchase i regret...)

Terribly sorry (again) but this would be the wrong thread. You're looking for either MLE's Guide to Gaming Headsets or the full-sized recommendations thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Music View Post

Thanks for the recs TwinQY, much appreciated :)

 

Yeah, i think customs prob is the way to go for me but there's so much hassle with customs and i'm still not sure if i should be spending that much on a pair of iem's. How does a mid tier custom compare to a uiem? Something like the V3, Mage etc.

 

Looking forward to your impressions :D

At this point experimenting would be just as costly as just buckling down for a long-term investment with customs. 

 

But from listening to demos the gap is getting closer by the day, but still there, and much more apparent when it comes to $500-600 CIEMs. The Dream Earz or the Quads/V6 simply floored the rest detail-wise, even whilst in demo form (well the V6 weren't, just found a friend who managed to get his to fit me nice enough - still outstanding sig-wise).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post

Of course -- sorry. I prefer a fairly balanced sound -- listen to a wide range of rock, hiphop, jazz and classical so looking for versatility.

That would most likely be the E10M then. The MH1Cs are rather bass-heavy (with mods less so apparently but you'll have to consult rinchoi's blog - http://rinchoi.blogspot.ca/2013/03/sony-mh1-modified-by-rin-choi.html)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexlii View Post

hi guys, can anyone please help me out by choosing 1 out of these:

 

soundmagic e-30
brainwavs m1
brainwavs m3
Mee CC51 Earphones
Westone 1 Earphones
Beyerdynamic DTX71
Beyerdynamic DTX101

 

 

I prefer staying neutral when it comes to sound. I generally listen to a lot of gnres but I listen to linkin park and eminem the most, what would be the best iem for me out of those choices? Clarity is most important for me. I have with me an e11 if that'll help.

Neutrality and clarity would very slightly go to the W1 as they don't really belong with the rest price-range wise (if you can afford being in that price range would look at the A161P instead, much better than the dry and detail-lacking-in-comparison W1s). Otherwise the E30 would match it sig-wise, and performance for the most part.

 

Open to any other alternatives?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfish View Post

Hi everybody,

 

Long time lurker, first time poster &c &c. I'm looking for a new pair of headphones! I generally prefer over-ear headphones, but am flexible on form; sound isolation (both going in and coming out) is very important to me; and inline iPhone controls would be a huge plus. Not sure what my preferred signature would be, but I like warm-sounding headphones and generally like bass. Genres are all over the place, but generally tends towards droney-abstract electronica and noise (Tim Hecker, Mountains, Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, Merzbow), metal (black, doom, stoner, grindcore) and hip-hop (old-school). Looking to spend around $100, located in Canada.

 

Thanks for any help--drowning in options--so help greatly appreciated!

Warm, bassy, over-ear, mic/remote, isolates - almost sounds like the LP2s (or the M80s if you can stand a more balanced sound and on-ear form) apart from the budget range. It's always the budget...

Enjoyed the K618 for EDM and noise (not that you need anything other than a FM radio for Stott or Mountains - but it is a good portion of my total library so...) well enough. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post

Good Comfort, neutral, isolation and build quality is just a plus.

Neutral, comfort and ~20 - if you can stretch the budget a bit the E30s are a cinch.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post

Lately I'm having difficulty with my AKG Q315 so i decided that that's my chance to buy new pair of IEM.

 

*I loved my Q's but its time for higher level of SQ.

 

My budget includes 450$ for IEM (not including DAC or AMP or player).

 

I'm not an audiophile but not an average consumer - in between (I just like to listen to music in HQ)

 

The genres i mostly hear are: Chillstep (with female voice), Drum n Bass, Rock, Alt Rock, Pop (not much), Metal (no often), Blues, Jazz, Dance (club music - EDM), Rap, Hip hop, Dubstep...

 

I like Bass kicks/punches but I like detailed and good high instrumentals as well (and female voice) so I don't want the bass or the highs to "ruing each other".

 

*I'm using HTC ONE X as my player.

 

Thanks for all advisers 

Punchy, detail, well defined, EDM, etc <$450 - does sound like the UE900 or the W3s. Perhaps the PFE232 if you can stretch the budget, go used (possibly) or can stand a lack of warranty.

post #3495 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Neutrality and clarity would very slightly go to the W1 as they don't really belong with the rest price-range wise (if you can afford being in that price range would look at the A161P instead, much better than the dry and detail-lacking-in-comparison W1s). Otherwise the E30 would match it sig-wise, and performance for the most part.

 

Open to any other alternatives?

these are my main choices as they are the main available iem's here in my country. ill check the A161P out if it's available here. i have a 100$ budget, and the W1 made it in, if you should have some suggestions that will fit in that price range, please tell me, ill do my best to check it out and the availability of it here. also are those marshall minor pitch black worth checking out?

 

here's a pricelist if this'll help

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edited by aexlii - 3/28/13 at 3:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!