Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 226  

post #3376 of 5343

Hey guys!  My bose in ear buds recently broke, and I'm currently in the market for some more options.  I loved the noise quality and the bass in the Bose IE2, but I wanted to see better options.  I listen to a lot of EDM (dubstep, house, electro house, trance, etc).  So it has to be really good with bass.  But I would also love nice clear highs.  My budget would be up to $150, and I will be using them with my ipod and my laptop.  Thanks for the suggestions!

post #3377 of 5343

Also, if it wasn't clear, I am looking for in ear buds.  Thanks again!

 

EDIT:

 

Decided to go for the Shure SE215-CL. What stood out on those were the detachable cable and the noise quality.  So ignore the above or criticize me or whatever.  *shrug*


Edited by thecrimsonking4 - 3/19/13 at 5:02am
post #3378 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Where do you find them lacking? Detail/performance? Any specific part of the frequency?

Though, the stock S3 earphones aren't too shabby either biggrin.gif They actually sound pretty decent at times (completely different sig). But I digress.


A burn-in skeptic, so won't comment on that front. Have you tried tip-rolling? The fit might be strange at first, so that would be the obvious remedy (if there is a problem).

Also, these your first IEMs? Might take time to appreciate the sound, but not going to say that it'll change dramatically unless this is a completely new experience for you. If so, perhaps pay more attention to the subtleties of music, how it's all fleshed out, though I probably shouldn't be one to give lessons on audio/music appreciation.

Give it a few days (but don't go over the time limit for returns, if there is one) before making a snap judgement though. But if you go at least a week or two into it, tried different music (and music files but will assume you're using properly ripped stuff anyways), tried to tip-roll, tried to appreciate it better, and still no dice, then they most likely suck (or you got a dud pair, however unlikely). Can't force yourself to like something if it's not already there.

Well I'm using the silicone stock tips instead of the Comply ones ( I find them annoying ). I'm quite annoyed by the fact that the Samsung stock earphones are on par (if not better) than the TDK IE800, although I've burned in the Samsung stock earphones for over 50 hours with pink noise. The TDK IE800, imo, lacks in just sound quality overall and definitely in bass. And yes, I've owned an Audio-Technica in ear earphone before ($100+) and I can safely say they're better than the TDKs.

I'm using the same music platform and music files to judge the two earphones so I think it's fair enough. Could you recommend me a website or something that I can rip good quality audio (music) from ?

I'll just stick to the TDKs for the time being and hope a little Placebo effect or something kicks in xD
post #3379 of 5343

@TwinQY Hmmm the product appears to be missing a case, leading myself to question the "COPs" portability. Do you personally own a pair? How do you find its portability? Can you link me to a fitting case/pouch?

post #3380 of 5343

Twinqy, I seems to have forgot to say what my favourite on ear headphone is (the dt1350) what I want is basically the full size(over ear) version of these(strange I know , especially since I like the shures), would the DT770 still fit me? if possible I want a velour pad  instead of the usual pleather

post #3381 of 5343

Right now all three are $100 - which do you think is best (currently have a pair of Shure SCL3s which I'm fond of, but are breaking)

 

I'm leaning toward #1

 

1. Creative Aurvana 3 In-Ear

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SNCZ3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A286IZ33TR5AUQ

 

2. MEElectronics A161P

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Noise-Canceling-Headphones-Balanced-Technology/dp/B0083E5GUE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1363708663&sr=8-14&keywords=mee

 

3. Etymotic Research HF5

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XP8DJC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1363708813&sr=8-9&keywords=Triple+Armature

 

(I'm particularly unsure about the Etymotics. They don't look ideal for wearing the cord over the ear and without that the cord noise is unbearable. I had a pair of Klipsch X10s and I returned them because I couldn't deal with the cord noise while walking.

post #3382 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

Isolation - the PFEs are shallow insertion, and the nozzles/shells are rather small. Overall it's fairly average. RE262s are ever so slightly better especially with longer tips but the smaller Phonaks completely beat them out in terms of comfort.

 

Just throwing it out there, but would the Sony XBA-30 or JVC FXT90 be around the mark in terms of what I'm looking for, or is it entirely on a different spectrum? I've read reviews on them, but I'm not sure how they would fare directly compared to RE262 or PFE122.


Edited by Neonium - 3/19/13 at 9:26am
post #3383 of 5343

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a pair of IEMs to suit my listening preferences. I'm looking anywhere in the range up to $150.

 

I listen to progressive rock, post-rock, math-rock, indie, experimental rock. Bands like the Mars Volta, Radiohead, Minus the Bear, LITE, toe, Foals, Mewithoutyou, the Samuel Jackson Five. 

 

Emphasis on stereo dynamics and a wide sound field. EXCELLENT instrument separation(lots of layers of instruments)

 

Warm bass, not muddy or overpowered. Mids that are clear and accurate but not overpowering the rest of the mix. Crystal clear treble but not too digital sounding.

 

Drums and guitar are the main instruments, I want those to be exceptionally clear. Basically I want a balanced mix where everything sits right where it ought to. 

 

As of now I will be listening on a Galaxy S-III and a rockboxed Ipod, and eventually want to get back into a Cowon player. 

 

Thanks for any help!


Edited by phinael - 3/19/13 at 1:44pm
post #3384 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

BTW, since you're here, maybe call in a few of your discovery thread gang members fellows to help if they feel ever so inclined? It would be immensely helpful, and would also make master troll much more productive. He needs to be pushed around a bit to fully squeeze out his dusty gifs usefulness.

 

Some things are beyond miracles ph34r.gif

post #3385 of 5343

I ended up going with the M-100, their build quality seems a bit more durable and their size is easier to transport than the DT770s. Thanks for all the help TwinQY!

post #3386 of 5343

how are the following for classical music:

R-50

RE-400 

HF5

 

 

ER4 is too expensive

 

EDIT: clarity


Edited by ksz210 - 3/19/13 at 3:05pm
post #3387 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post

Well I'm using the silicone stock tips instead of the Comply ones ( I find them annoying ). I'm quite annoyed by the fact that the Samsung stock earphones are on par (if not better) than the TDK IE800, although I've burned in the Samsung stock earphones for over 50 hours with pink noise. The TDK IE800, imo, lacks in just sound quality overall and definitely in bass. And yes, I've owned an Audio-Technica in ear earphone before ($100+) and I can safely say they're better than the TDKs.

I'm using the same music platform and music files to judge the two earphones so I think it's fair enough. Could you recommend me a website or something that I can rip good quality audio (music) from ?

I'll just stick to the TDKs for the time being and hope a little Placebo effect or something kicks in xD

1) Either you're not a fan of the warm signature - secretly a basshead (which AT phones were those?)

2) You're REALLY not getting a good fit

3) You're not used to them

4) Dud pair.

 

All I can think of as of right now.

Website? CD rips or online streaming sites like MOG (320kbps although if you're above 192 it's all good anyways)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrimsonking4 View Post

Also, if it wasn't clear, I am looking for in ear buds.  Thanks again!

 

EDIT:

 

Decided to go for the Shure SE215-CL. What stood out on those were the detachable cable and the noise quality.  So ignore the above or criticize me or whatever.  *shrug*

Those would be fine. Might not be enough treble though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO View Post

@TwinQY Hmmm the product appears to be missing a case, leading myself to question the "COPs" portability. Do you personally own a pair? How do you find its portability? Can you link me to a fitting case/pouch?

Something like this? http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=118#

http://shop.frogbeats.com/headphone-carry-case

I'll grab some more links later, but they are for sure portable. I've tried them numerous times, they are made for portable purposes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

Twinqy, I seems to have forgot to say what my favourite on ear headphone is (the dt1350) what I want is basically the full size(over ear) version of these(strange I know , especially since I like the shures), would the DT770 still fit me? if possible I want a velour pad  instead of the usual pleather

DT770s usually come with velour. In fact Beyer velour pads are probably, if not, the comfiest velour pads around.

Have not heard the DT1350s, sorry. Usually for Beyer recs, I'll link people to this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

They have reviews you can compare for both. The DT770s have been touted as being bassier numerous times though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdel View Post

Right now all three are $100 - which do you think is best (currently have a pair of Shure SCL3s which I'm fond of, but are breaking)

 

I'm leaning toward #1

 

1. Creative Aurvana 3 In-Ear

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SNCZ3K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A286IZ33TR5AUQ

 

2. MEElectronics A161P

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Noise-Canceling-Headphones-Balanced-Technology/dp/B0083E5GUE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1363708663&sr=8-14&keywords=mee

 

3. Etymotic Research HF5

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XP8DJC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1363708813&sr=8-9&keywords=Triple+Armature

 

(I'm particularly unsure about the Etymotics. They don't look ideal for wearing the cord over the ear and without that the cord noise is unbearable. I had a pair of Klipsch X10s and I returned them because I couldn't deal with the cord noise while walking.

Sound preferences? Genres, signature, etc? Want something similar to the Shures?

You could do over-ear with the HF5, just that you'd have to insert them quite deeply (otherwise the cable is extremely microphonic). But it is possible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonium View Post

Just throwing it out there, but would the Sony XBA-30 or JVC FXT90 be around the mark in terms of what I'm looking for, or is it entirely on a different spectrum? I've read reviews on them, but I'm not sure how they would fare directly compared to RE262 or PFE122.

The FXT90s are much more sparkly, and much more warm/lush. Same with the XBA-3, warm and lush. A bit of a peak in the treble as well. The other two are much smoother in comparison.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinael View Post

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a pair of IEMs to suit my listening preferences. I'm looking anywhere in the range up to $150.

 

I listen to progressive rock, post-rock, math-rock, indie, experimental rock. Bands like the Mars Volta, Radiohead, Minus the Bear, LITE, toe, Foals, Mewithoutyou, the Samuel Jackson Five. 

 

Emphasis on stereo dynamics and a wide sound field. EXCELLENT instrument separation(lots of layers of instruments)

 

Warm bass, not muddy or overpowered. Mids that are clear and accurate but not overpowering the rest of the mix. Crystal clear treble but not too digital sounding.

 

Drums and guitar are the main instruments, I want those to be exceptionally clear. Basically I want a balanced mix where everything sits right where it ought to. 

 

As of now I will be listening on a Galaxy S-III and a rockboxed Ipod, and eventually want to get back into a Cowon player. 

 

Thanks for any help!

Good, good....Finally another post-rocker.

 

As mentioned in the other thread, does sound like the GR07 out of the whole lot. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksz210 View Post

for classical music:

R-50

RE-400 

HF5

 

ER4 is too expensive

Having heard the RE-400 only too briefly (as in a customary 5 minutes), will refrain from commenting completely on that from, but the HF5/R-50s would do great for classical, fantastic separation and clarity. The R-50s have much more treble energy, cable is a bit stiff, but still very impressive. The Etys isolate quite a bit, very linear, all about the width/separation.

post #3388 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Well I am planning to go away to take care of real-life intrusions sometime before the start of April, so you'll have ample time to take over! Have fun!

 

But in all seriousness, people should never be intimidated to pitch in with their opinion. I can say that I'm probably not the most reliable source, and me being one person makes it even more so. Having people add in on a suggestion I make, vice versa, maybe even some discussion/disagreements with the item at hand, could be immensely helpful either way. It's not about filling a quota in the end, it's about helping others :D

Even if I do answer something, feel free to add something I may have missed, or confirm something. I'll do the same.

 

BTW, since you're here, maybe call in a few of your discovery thread gang members fellows to help if they feel ever so inclined? It would be immensely helpful, and would also make master troll much more productive. He needs to be pushed around a bit to fully squeeze out his dusty gifs usefulness.

Say what??? Who is this and what have you done with the Twin i know!!! Says the one that got 3000+ posts, cuz i am sure those were ALL about "helping others" and not about "filling a quota," RIGHTTT. wink_face.gif

 

Need i quote you on that "overcrowded" statement regarding sharing HA! tongue_smile.gif  This guy, it's like i don't even know you anymore. T_T

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

Some things are beyond miracles ph34r.gif

^ I know right, why even bother if you already know it's a loss battle. 

 

........."U Can't Touch This."

 

 

 

You want help........................biggrin.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

post #3389 of 5343

Need some suggestions for a new headphone. I'm looking for:

  • Around ear or IEM or CIEM, no on-ears and must be portable
  • No budget limit
  • Must be fun and musical, not analytical
  • Good with techno, pop, punk, acoustics
  • Relatively neutral sounding overall
  • Good soundstage
  • Works well without amps or dacs

Since there is no budge limit, anything and everything is considered.


Edited by FightBrothers - 3/19/13 at 3:38pm
post #3390 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
Very trollish stuff

Keep trolling master troll, keep trolling...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightBrothers View Post

Need some suggestions for a new headphone. I'm looking for:

  • Around ear or IEM, no on-ears and must be portable
  • No budget limit
  • Must be fun and musical, not analytical
  • Good with techno, pop, punk, acoustics
  • Relatively neutral sounding overall
  • Good soundstage
  • Works well without amps or dacs

Since there is no budge limit, anything and everything is considered.

Wow. No budget.

TG334. The best I've heard. Smooth warm sig for pop, etc. But still linear in the grand scheme of things. Stage size has utterly perfect focus, imaging will drop jaws. Think the LCD-2 equivalent in an IEM. But less thick.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!