Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 206  

post #3076 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phle View Post

Went to a post about the VSonic GR02 and GR06, the opinions were quite different, some liked the cheaper ones and said there was a noticable change in the mid region. Haven't listned to either one sadly, so again I ask you the same question if you don't mind. Are the ones I alreaedy mentioned and the GR06 so much different in quality or in fact, which one would be the better pick?

 

I am not sure what musical style I listen to most, but I do enjoy this one particular song which, I believe, resembles a great deal of my music library.

Atom ~ Nari & Milani

 

If any of you owns or has listned to one of these IEM, could you listen to this song please and revise your oiginal opinion of what would possibly suit me best? 

 

Thank you, I already like this site way too much! 

Difference in the mid quality isn't that great, and the significant roll-off/softness in the bass won't really warrant the GR06. That song just cinches it. Only really recommended for vocals/jazz/mid-centric stuff. Don't believe everything you read though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phle View Post

what is the deal with these monitors? 

Klipsch IMAGE S4

 

why aren't they recommended that much?

They are regarded as being outdated (sound-wise, in comparison to the competition), the newer budget stuff at even half the price could even go against them head to head. Other complaints are lack of detail, slow, muddy, and very strident/sibilant. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post

Hi, all. I'm new here (new to this whole thing, pretty much), so please go easy on me.

I have a Sony Walkman S series, and I'd like some new headphones. I've had a pair of Sony Bumpin' Buds for years, and I have no idea if those are considered decent or laughably horrible, but they did OK with me for the time I had them.

I listen to a mess of different music - classical (mostly Baroque-era and earlier, but including opera and choral work), vocal-centric ballads/soft rock, smooth jazz, symphonic pop/rock/metal, 80s second wave goth/post-punk, synthpop, EBM, ambient, neo-swing/cabaret, folk/traditional "world" music, videogame soundtracks, and trance (often psychedelic) being my main genres. My favorite band is an orchestral rock opera project which includes everything from dramatic narration and the sound of turning pages to sword clashes, galloping horses, screams and other sounds of battle, all of which would be nice to hear clearly. But since I'm new to this, and on a budget, I'm not ready to have a several specialized sets, but rather one decent, jack-of-all-trades, all-round pair. I don't want anything harsh, distorted or tiring on the ears, but I would like to avoid flat, muddy, one-dimensional sound, too. Something well rounded and clear, and rather accessible for someone just getting into the audiophile world would suit me just fine. I do like to take my music for walks, and I listen while cleaning house, too, but I can't stand over-the-ear models. I had a pair a long time ago with really loud cable noise, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Other than that, I have no idea at all. As I said, I'm a n00b. The more I read, the more confused I get.

I cannot afford much, $50 is my current maximum, but I'd prefer to keep it a bit less. I know that's asking a lot. I don't mind suggestions for slightly higher priced ones, as I can save up, but it would have to be pretty amazing since I'm on a limited budget (plus I have a cat with an oral fixation who would like nothing more than to sink his teeth into a high-end pair of wires.)

Balanced, all-rounder, clear...well actually I can't see if you want an IEM or an regular on-ear can. 

If it's the former, E30, GR04. Maybe the VC02 but have no personal experience with that, just might want to look at/research it yourself though, could be worth it from the look of reviews.

If latter, Downtowns, ZX700 (street price is very low)...don't know much about this area though, perhaps someone else could chime in.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyangel117 View Post

i need help. Should I get the vsonic gro2's or a pack of 3 IEM's? The three IEM's are the vsonic gr02's, the Monoprice 8320's, and the JVC HAFX40B's. Which one of these is the longest lasting, and can withstand everyday commute?

Build would go: VSonics > 8320 > FXD40.

It's mainly in the cables. The JVCs have little in the way of strain reliefs, and just your typical plastic. Fairly middling. The Monos have pretty large and robust shells, not the best at isolating because of fit and vents, and the cables can get kinky and be generally a nuisance during the commute. The GR02s are just nicely rubberized and solid overall.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack807 View Post

hey all!

looking to spend up too 250 on a pair of goof iems.

i listen mostly too rock and metal but when studying sometimes country and classical.

comfort is a must as i use for long periods studying!

have looked at se425 and etymonic hf3s. what do people suggest around the $200 mark?

thamks in advance!

Rock, but also good all-rounder, generally good comfort - would cross the Etys off, SE425 are quite good, yes. Could also look at the GR07, great texture and kick, excels as an all-rounder, or the X10s, amazing comfort with the gel tips, great for rock. 

post #3077 of 5343

So i ordered some rha ma 350's as at the time the e10's were out of stock everywhere, but I think I will return them as they seem very inconsistent and the cable feedback is insanely bad, however over the past week this head fi stuff has taken over me and I've found myself constantly researching and looking through every review and changing my mind every time so I would really appreciate some help. I sold my shuffle and ordered a sansa clip, I will mostly be listening to dance music, so good bass is a must for me, but i only wish to spend around $80.

I've been looking at:

Brainwavz m2

e10's with or without comply foam tips

vsonic gr02

american id spark

dunu trident 

hippo VB (are they worth the extra money, mixed reviews on them lasting for ages or breaking quickly)

 

I'm open to any other suggestions

 

Thanks.

post #3078 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmatey View Post

So i ordered some rha ma 350's as at the time the e10's were out of stock everywhere, but I think I will return them as they seem very inconsistent and the cable feedback is insanely bad, however over the past week this head fi stuff has taken over me and I've found myself constantly researching and looking through every review and changing my mind every time so I would really appreciate some help. I sold my shuffle and ordered a sansa clip, I will mostly be listening to dance music, so good bass is a must for me, but i only wish to spend around $80.

I've been looking at:

Brainwavz m2

e10's with or without comply foam tips

vsonic gr02

american id spark

dunu trident 

hippo VB (are they worth the extra money, mixed reviews on them lasting for ages or breaking quickly)

 

I'm open to any other suggestions

 

Thanks.

While I would love to say the Dunus purely for their build alone, the M2/GR02 are simply the better sounding IEMs. That's not to say that the two have poor build, far from it. The Dunu shells are just unimaginably solid.

 

Between the Brainwavz and the VSonics, would give the nod to the GR02 for overall detail and the M2 for smoothness and lusher bass. Not too large a difference between the two though. Either would work, maybe the GR02s a bit better since it isn't as rich/slower transients which would work against dance music at times, not to mention a bit more treble. Purely preference though. M2s have better built shells, the cables are worse though, kinky and no strain relief. GR02s have much better cables.

post #3079 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Balanced, all-rounder, clear...well actually I can't see if you want an IEM or an regular on-ear can. 

If it's the former, E30, GR04. Maybe the VC02 but have no personal experience with that, just might want to look at/research it yourself though, could be worth it from the look of reviews.

If latter, Downtowns, ZX700 (street price is very low)...don't know much about this area though, perhaps someone else could chime in.

 

Ah, sorry. I meant to say I wanted IEMs, rather than cans. I actually saw the E30, and it looked really nice. I'll check out the other two. Thanks!

post #3080 of 5343

Best iem for around 250? i listen mosty to rock and country and a bit of metal? comfort is also really important!

thanks in advance!

post #3081 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack807 View Post

Best iem for around 250? i listen mosty to rock and country and a bit of metal? comfort is also really important!

thanks in advance!

Sounds like the W2s, great mids for the genres above, supremely ergonomic. Also having recently experienced the UM2, they would also work nicely as well. SE425 as well.

 

BA200/IE800s were comfy as well, but can't remember the sound too well. Sort of vague memories of them doing well for rock.

post #3082 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Sounds like the W2s, great mids for the genres above, supremely ergonomic. Also having recently experienced the UM2, they would also work nicely as well. SE425 as well.

 

BA200/IE800s were comfy as well, but can't remember the sound too well. Sort of vague memories of them doing well for rock.

Thanks! how do the shures compare to the westones?

am also very interested in the ba 200s does anyone have any experience with these?

post #3083 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekky View Post

They aren't any good. all i can say is MUDDY

 

I can't agree more...

post #3084 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack807 View Post

Thanks! how do the shures compare to the westones?

am also very interested in the ba 200s does anyone have any experience with these?

 

IMHO, IE800 would be best, though it is a bit bright up top, but nothing that foam can't fix, comfort wise, this requires quite a deep fit so it might get uncomfortable.

 

W2 could be good too, but I think IE800 is much more detailed, and more versatile

post #3085 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack807 View Post

Best iem for around 250? i listen mosty to rock and country and a bit of metal? comfort is also really important!

thanks in advance!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Sounds like the W2s, great mids for the genres above, supremely ergonomic. Also having recently experienced the UM2, they would also work nicely as well. SE425 as well.

 

BA200/IE800s were comfy as well, but can't remember the sound too well. Sort of vague memories of them doing well for rock.

 

You may also want to consider the Ortofon eq-5, which can be had for 198 USD. Very comfortable, excellent mids and clarity and good natural bass (though not bass heavy, although they EQ nicely). Can't compare them to the IEMs listed above, as I don't have those, but I can honestly say that the eq-5 copes really well with the genres you listen to.

post #3086 of 5343

interested in buying a PMP.. looked for them and found many variations. i liked Sony NWZ-B172F (available in 2 GB & 4GB variations).
suggestions for them please. thought of Sony because of quality sound capability in sony equipments.

 

got suggestions to get Sansa Clip+, Sandisk Sansa Fuze+8GB, Clip Zip etc.

 

I am not considering Video capabilities or the extra memory space. i will also not be playing any games in it.

 

my question - is the audio capabilities of Sandisk sansa players better than the Sony one?

 

someone said, the Sony Walkman when used with portable amps FiiO E11 through its hp out, had sounded rubbish but Sansa did not.

 

One more question - do i need any portable amp if i have either sony or sansa pmp?

post #3087 of 5343

Hey!

I'm looking for a good pair of IE earphones for 40$ or less. It's important that they have good durability and if possible a good international insurance. I wouldn't mind spending money if I know they have good insurance and I'm carefree.

I'm an all around listener, with an emphasis on rock and hard rock. I am a drummer and I also listen to dubstep so good bass is important (in a way that doesn't ruin the balance and doesn't merge kicks and bass).

I am using an iPod nano.

 

Thanks!

post #3088 of 5343

MP4nation has great international service so maybe the brainwavz R1 (a little over your budget) or the M1 (is on sale right know)

but i think the R1 will be better for you

post #3089 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhotemia View Post

interested in buying a PMP.. looked for them and found many variations. i liked Sony NWZ-B172F (available in 2 GB & 4GB variations).
suggestions for them please. thought of Sony because of quality sound capability in sony equipments.

 

got suggestions to get Sansa Clip+, Sandisk Sansa Fuze+8GB, Clip Zip etc.

 

I am not considering Video capabilities or the extra memory space. i will also not be playing any games in it.

 

my question - is the audio capabilities of Sandisk sansa players better than the Sony one?

 

someone said, the Sony Walkman when used with portable amps FiiO E11 through its hp out, had sounded rubbish but Sansa did not.

 

One more question - do i need any portable amp if i have either sony or sansa pmp?

Wrong section: http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear, I know the thread says Buying Portable, but headphones/IEMs only.

Though if you just want sheer audio playback and no video, the Clip Zip is hard to beat unless those "audiophile" DAPs are being considered, and even then it's a stretch.

No line-out on either PMP, the Clip Zip's HP output is pretty clean though so a portable amp going through it won't be as bad as from other outputs but still not ideal.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHeat View Post

Hey!

I'm looking for a good pair of IE earphones for 40$ or less. It's important that they have good durability and if possible a good international insurance. I wouldn't mind spending money if I know they have good insurance and I'm carefree.

I'm an all around listener, with an emphasis on rock and hard rock. I am a drummer and I also listen to dubstep so good bass is important (in a way that doesn't ruin the balance and doesn't merge kicks and bass).

I am using an iPod nano.

 

Thanks!

The warranty thing...not certain but for most IEM companies, say like VSonic, they will only do warranty inside of their native country and the dealer is the middleman for most international claims. Probably should not generalize though.

That being said, the GR02/4s have nice texture and are pretty proficient at separation. Former is bassier than latter. Not much difference.

CKM50s also work quite nicely.

post #3090 of 5343

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I have narrowed down my research for an IEM/headphone to 6 options now.

I can't quite make a choice.

I nowadays have a Phillips SHE9000, and although it isn't a high-end IEM, I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'm seeking to improve my experience. 

Actually, I'm kind of looking for a ''definitive'' headphone, one that is durable and I'd be happy with for a long time.

Again, I listen mostly to alternative rock, classic rock, hard rock and all other kinds of rock :-P, jazz (I love it), classic (also important), electronic and some pop. I would prefer ''pure'' sounds.

The devices that I will be using the phones will be an iPod, Android device and mainly my computer.

Among these options, which would be the best for the money?

 

- Senheiser HD449 £69

- Phillips SHL5605BK/10 £50

- Thinksound MS01 £99 (ouch - way more expensive than the others, but is it really worth it?)

- VSONIC GR04 £40

- Klipsch Image X10 £99 (competing with the MS01 - which one?)

- Shure SE215 £75

(all amazon.co.uk prices)

 

Between these options, which one would you recommend? If possible, could say which of the £99 ones AND which of the cheaper ones?

Thank you very very much - I'm having a bad (and a great!) time choosing these phones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!