Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 186  

post #2776 of 5343
Hi guys, unfortunately I started a new thread with this question before I knew this one existed *noob.

I am looking for a set of canalphones primarily for travel. I listen to Alessandro MS-1s at home, but they are no good for travelling. I narrowed my search down to the Audiofly AF78 and the Vsonic GR07. After a lot of google trawling I'm pretty sure that I've settle on the GR07s.

The issue I have now is how to choose between the standard & bass edition.

As I said, primary use will be air travel. So, listening to movies, playing games and listening to music. I listen to a pretty wide range of music - alternative, rock, hip hop, pop, classical, crooners, softer Norah Jones type stuff etc etc. Now, I like a good bass line as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't say that I'm a bass junkie - I like it to be balanced.

Has anyone had any experience with the 2 different models? Does the base edition have the same sound quality as the standard but just better, tighter, more detailed bass?? I really just don't want to lose overall sound quality at the expense of over the top bass.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #2777 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoz View Post

Hi guys, unfortunately I started a new thread with this question before I knew this one existed *noob.

I am looking for a set of canalphones primarily for travel. I listen to Alessandro MS-1s at home, but they are no good for travelling. I narrowed my search down to the Audiofly AF78 and the Vsonic GR07. After a lot of google trawling I'm pretty sure that I've settle on the GR07s.

The issue I have now is how to choose between the standard & bass edition.

As I said, primary use will be air travel. So, listening to movies, playing games and listening to music. I listen to a pretty wide range of music - alternative, rock, hip hop, pop, classical, crooners, softer Norah Jones type stuff etc etc. Now, I like a good bass line as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't say that I'm a bass junkie - I like it to be balanced.

Has anyone had any experience with the 2 different models? Does the base edition have the same sound quality as the standard but just better, tighter, more detailed bass?? I really just don't want to lose overall sound quality at the expense of over the top bass.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

 

Definitely go for the Bass edition.The hum of the engine will severely impact the bass response of any iem, so having a "buffer quantity", so to speak, will help. Factor in the airplane noise, and he BE might end up sounding like the standard edition

post #2778 of 5343

Hello everyone :)

 

I don't know if this is a strange question...but here goes.  For years I've used Sennheiser ear buds, but recently I managed to lose them and am now thinking of upgrading into the unknown world of IEMs.  I'm thinking about getting a pair of shure se215s as they sem to get universally ace reviews.

 

There's 2 really important criteria on my list:  I often listen to music whilst working, so I need the IEMs to be really comfy!  Has anyone had any experience of using these for several hours?  As long as maybe 8 hours a day?

 

Also, because I'll be using them to study, I need to know that the music I listen to won't be disturbing other people around me - if I'm in a library, in dead silence, will anybody be able to hear my music? (Well known to be highly irritating.)  Or will the IEMs be as good as silent to other people around me?

post #2779 of 5343

Input appreciated:

 

I've been focusing on cans, currently enjoying the Beyer 770 80's.

 

Looking for a new set of IEM's for the Gym. looking to spend around $100.

 

Looking for something with a good fit and isolation that can survive the gym sweat.

 

Something fun, reasonably flat, but with strong bass (not a basshead, but not too far off).

 

I have the Munitio 9mm (COD4 ones that were cheap all over the place) which are ok, bass seems to be massive down low and otherwise pretty average IMO. Have the Sony MH1C's which are nice, hard to use at the gym, sound nice but didn't excite me after all the hype.

 

Otherwise I have been using various AT, Senn, TDK or other cheap bits and pieces, currently using Ultimate ears Metrofi 150's which are reasonably good for the price, but you miss a lot of detail.

 

I was considering;

Rock-it R-50:  Poor documentation, minimal info on their site and positive reviews but some quirks about the packaging putting me off...

EPH-100:       Some issues with condensation? Not going to be good for the gym.

GR07:            I'm in Australia, best I can see is about $160, unsure I want to stretch that far.

MEElec A161P: Currently on sale for about $180 landed (I like a bargain / sale), but unsure if the Bass will do it for me.

 

I think I need more suggestions, my list is not great... cheers.

post #2780 of 5343

hello,

 

i need advice concerning unbreakable/durable portable cans for my spousal unit.

 

in the last 3 years she has broken/disabled the following:

 

some Sony on the ear folding cans (discontinued, and i cannot for the life of me remember the model :( [$79.95 retail?])

etymotic hf5's

v-moda Remix Audio's

and lastly

a pair of Sennheiser PX 200-II's.

 

i am currently considering the following:

 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50's

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

v-moda Crossfade M-80

 

portability is an issue as she lugs all kinds of stuff with her on the commute. SQ is important as i think she has near perfect pitch. (any and all fan noise e.g. from a PC or a kitchen exhaust is VERY audible to her.) we both listen to all kinds of music, although she does have a thing for Sting. :)

 

all of the cans under consideration have positive recommendations as to build quality and SQ.

 

i am mostly leaning toward the HD 25-1 II as they appear to be re-buildable if something breaks. also, i think she enjoyed the PX 200-II's the most of the now broken ones.

 

i am very anxious to find something that is hard to break/user repairable so i don't have to keep replacing them. so, i am really wanting feedback on the durability of the cans under consideration. if you have beat any of 'em and they kept on tickin' i need to know. :)

 

any and all advice is greatly welcome.

 

thanks

post #2781 of 5343

Guys,

Have a pair of Creative Aurvana Air, which are truly excellent, but I'm going to damage my hearing trying to listen on the train/tube etc.....

Looking for a pair of in-ear, paying up to £150 (could stretch for my perfect sound!)...

Mainly listen to Techno (proper!), deep house and electro - Bass is key, but want crisp full range sound.....

Currently looking at:
Phonak Audéo PFE 012 or 112
Sennheiser IE60
Shure SE215

But am more than open to recommendations .... 

Many Thanks!

post #2782 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvinchi View Post

Guys,

Have a pair of Creative Aurvana Air, which are truly excellent, but I'm going to damage my hearing trying to listen on the train/tube etc.....

Looking for a pair of in-ear, paying up to £150 (could stretch for my perfect sound!)...

Mainly listen to Techno (proper!), deep house and electro - Bass is key, but want crisp full range sound.....

Currently looking at:
Phonak Audéo PFE 012 or 112
Sennheiser IE60
Shure SE215

But am more than open to recommendations .... 

Many Thanks!

 

JVC FXZ100 - EDM is an absolute bliss with this, especially house-type EDM

post #2783 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessthebest View Post

Hello everyone :)

 

I don't know if this is a strange question...but here goes.  For years I've used Sennheiser ear buds, but recently I managed to lose them and am now thinking of upgrading into the unknown world of IEMs.  I'm thinking about getting a pair of shure se215s as they sem to get universally ace reviews.

 

There's 2 really important criteria on my list:  I often listen to music whilst working, so I need the IEMs to be really comfy!  Has anyone had any experience of using these for several hours?  As long as maybe 8 hours a day?

 

Also, because I'll be using them to study, I need to know that the music I listen to won't be disturbing other people around me - if I'm in a library, in dead silence, will anybody be able to hear my music? (Well known to be highly irritating.)  Or will the IEMs be as good as silent to other people around me?

 

I think you should consider UE700, it is one of the smallest, and most confortable IEM I have ever heard, it is so small that you forget that you are wearing them

post #2784 of 5343

Hi guys!  Just signed up, looking for street style adjustable aluminum clip on headphones.  Many years ago I bought the Razer ProTone m250 from Woot for $20 or so, and they lasted until the pads disintegrated.  For some time now, I've been looking for replacements.  I see that the Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones lists Audio-Technica ATH-EM7 GM, and I would be happy to buy these, but sadly they are discontinued: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e11718e915315e8f/index.html

 

Does anyone know of a source for these, a newer model that has superceded these (I don't see any on the Audio-Technica website), or a great alternative that fits the bill of adjustable clipon with aluminum housing?  I see that the ATH-EW9 Adjustable Wooden Clip-on Headphones are similar in design, but they are far more than I'm looking to spend.

 

Thank you!

post #2785 of 5343

I think that I tried to post to this thread and I think that I never got a response -- searches don't pick up any -- so I think I'll try again since there's a whole new set of people here today.

 

I need a single in-ear monitor.  It only needs to be hi-fi to the extent that it needs to have no peaks or resonances in its response.  No hyped treble, no boosted bass.

 

The application will be on stage.  It will be plugged in to my guitar.  I will use it for cue notes for singing to complicated or nonobvious keys or chords.  Or course, when I feed cue notes to my ear, the stage volume will be down.

 

I like a flanged design.

 

Comments?  Suggestions?  Expressions of disdain?

 

Thank you kindly.

 

Sog

post #2786 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk1469 View Post

Alright. I'm planning on going to Best Buy this weekend, so maybe that'll help me.

I won't get a chance to hear the x10's anywhere unless I buy them, but I do agree that they look somewhat odd...

I'm really going for sound quality and portability in this decision, but I'd like the headphones to look pretty stylish as well.

Do you have any sub $100 headphone recommendations that fit the bill?

 

The HA-S500 look cool? Creative Aurvana Lives do too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhm View Post

Hey guys, I really like the sound of my XB500 headphones, as I'm a pretty big basshead (sometimes I'll turn everything but the bass down and the bass up just so I can get that in ear massage that sends shivers down your spine), but the thing is, they aren't the best for the gym and I go pretty much every day, so I was looking for some in ear headphones with very similar sound, I have a price range of about 100 dollars give or take a bit.

 

I think sony makes an XB series of IEM, haven't seen or heard them before.  Over on the TDK thread we've been talking about these TDK EB750s that seem to be very bassy.  You may also want to check out the SHE3580 for extended bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoz View Post

Hi guys, unfortunately I started a new thread with this question before I knew this one existed *noob.
I am looking for a set of canalphones primarily for travel. I listen to Alessandro MS-1s at home, but they are no good for travelling. I narrowed my search down to the Audiofly AF78 and the Vsonic GR07. After a lot of google trawling I'm pretty sure that I've settle on the GR07s.

 

It would seem to me, owning a, SR80i, that the Etymotics HF5 would be closer in sound profile to the MS-1 as a good travel IEM.  Look for excellent isolation, or else those annoying chatty neighbours will still bother you...  It's hard to judge small differences in sound quality when you're surrounded by the drone of Rolls Royces.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessthebest View Post

Hello everyone :)

 

I don't know if this is a strange question...but here goes.  For years I've used Sennheiser ear buds, but recently I managed to lose them and am now thinking of upgrading into the unknown world of IEMs.  I'm thinking about getting a pair of shure se215s as they sem to get universally ace reviews.

 

There's 2 really important criteria on my list:  I often listen to music whilst working, so I need the IEMs to be really comfy!  Has anyone had any experience of using these for several hours?  As long as maybe 8 hours a day?

 

Also, because I'll be using them to study, I need to know that the music I listen to won't be disturbing other people around me - if I'm in a library, in dead silence, will anybody be able to hear my music? (Well known to be highly irritating.)  Or will the IEMs be as good as silent to other people around me?

 

The Shure SE215s come with nice foamy tips, and can be as low as $75 with coupons.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForBin View Post

hello,

 

i need advice concerning unbreakable/durable portable cans for my spousal unit.

 

in the last 3 years she has broken/disabled the following:

 

some Sony on the ear folding cans (discontinued, and i cannot for the life of me remember the model :( [$79.95 retail?])

etymotic hf5's

v-moda Remix Audio's

and lastly

a pair of Sennheiser PX 200-II's.

 

i am currently considering the following:

 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50's

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

v-moda Crossfade M-80

 

portability is an issue as she lugs all kinds of stuff with her on the commute. SQ is important as i think she has near perfect pitch. (any and all fan noise e.g. from a PC or a kitchen exhaust is VERY audible to her.) we both listen to all kinds of music, although she does have a thing for Sting. :)

 

all of the cans under consideration have positive recommendations as to build quality and SQ.

 

i am mostly leaning toward the HD 25-1 II as they appear to be re-buildable if something breaks. also, i think she enjoyed the PX 200-II's the most of the now broken ones.

 

The Philips The Stretch is the most indestructable headphone I have ever handled.  Sound quality wise, they're not far from the PX200, but not up there with them either.  Search TJMaxx for them at $40.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyOldGuy View Post

I think that I tried to post to this thread and I think that I never got a response -- searches don't pick up any -- so I think I'll try again since there's a whole new set of people here today.

 

I need a single in-ear monitor.  It only needs to be hi-fi to the extent that it needs to have no peaks or resonances in its response.  No hyped treble, no boosted bass.

 

The application will be on stage.  It will be plugged in to my guitar.  I will use it for cue notes for singing to complicated or nonobvious keys or chords.  Or course, when I feed cue notes to my ear, the stage volume will be down.

 

I like a flanged design.

 

Comments?  Suggestions?  Expressions of disdain?

 

Thank you kindly.

 

Sog

 

Other musicians seem to like the Shure SE5x5 series?

post #2787 of 5343
What is the best earphones under $50
post #2788 of 5343

How do different eartips affect the sound quality of an IEM? Fit and isolation aside, what difference does a tip make?

Can someone do a small comparison between the Comply tips, Monster Supertips, Foam Sony Hybrids, and the Shure Olives? 

 

I use the Sony XBA 3s, and I was wondering if any tips will help reduce the trebles and sibilance.

 

Thanks.

post #2789 of 5343

I'm looking for an IEM that is within the range of $100-200. I listen to mostly orchestras, country and pop. I tried Klipsch S4 and thought the bass was nice but the treble didn't seem to have any depth... Thanks! redface.gif

post #2790 of 5343

I'm looking for an alternative to my SE215 when I just want to do some casual listening and movie watching and don't want to bother with the over-the-ear thingy.

My budget is around $75-80 including shipping.

 

Was very excited about the HiFiMAN RE-ZERO but the only pair available (that I've found) is from Amazon and the store doesn't ship to Sweden... otherwise I bet they'll be unbeatable for $59. Does anyone know any other place that still sells them and ships internationally?

 

Otherwise, what's the best bang-for-the-buck in the $75-80 range?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!