hi, im a newb on headphones, the best i have currently is monster turbine iem and it got tiring really fast. hate how the bass feels overwhelms all the others im currently in the market for a replacement, on ear / over ear is preffered, and im going to use it 99% on mobile gadgets like ipad, note2 and iphone 4.
my criteria is as follow:
1) i dont understand much about tonal balance and all, all i want is just a headphone that sounds nice and not overwhelming The Turbines are pretty warm and sort of slow down low. So I assume you'll want to avoid that.
2) it can be driven without an amp ( better with an amp is okay, as long as the amp is not a must) Most likely the choices below will
4) budget is $350 ish, don't care much about sound isolation, i'm indifferent between open cans or closed can
currently im leaning toward
1) ath-M50 Not bass emphasized like everyone says, more like the mids aren't very assuming. Clarity is decent, good extension.
2) phillips fidelio L1 No idea, sorry. Assuming these are for portable use (since this is the portable thread), I don't think people will appreciate you out in the wild with open cans though
3) sennheiser momentum Slightly warm sound from the moment (haha punny) I had with them. Very, very impressive detailing, background was pitch-black, something you don't really find on portable cans nowadays. Really impressed by them. Definitely keep them in consideration.
4) vmoda M80 Warm, bass-emphasized, lush and slower sound, though not even close to being as pronounced as the Turbines.
5)beyerdynamic dt1350 From impressions on the forums, these might be the ticket in terms of the clarity aspect. Have never heard them, so just going off from reading about them.
im living in indonesia so trying these thing is out of the question. im going to buy blind here, no tries no return. a friend is going to buy the cans from the US thanks alot