Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE! - Page 111  

post #1651 of 5343

GR07 fanboy here...I want a universal that is a significant upgrade but with a similar sound signature to the GR07. What say you?
 

post #1652 of 5343

Looking for new IEMs to replace my SE215s, was directed to this thread. In a nutshell, I'm looking for an overall clear and detailed sound, yet I like it to sound organic and not so analytical. Basically I'm looking for IEMs in the "fun" category. The lows should have presence, but not over dominating and muddy like some of the cheaply made headphones out there. I'm a basshead so this is important. One thing I dislike about the SE215s that I'd like to avoid in my next pair are the slightly tinny highs.

 

I listen to electronic, drum and bass, some dubstep, some hip hop, house, trance, some rock, etc. Also I would prefer for them to not be over the ear as I remove them frequently at work and it's a pain having to adjust them onto my ear each time. Though it's not really an issue if they are over the ear.

 
Budget wise, I'm trying to keep it under $200. 
 
cool.gif

Edited by alexmkv91 - 11/27/12 at 2:50pm
post #1653 of 5343

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmkv91 View Post

Looking for new IEMs to replace my SE215s, was directed to this thread. In a nutshell, I'm looking for an overall clear and detailed sound, yet I like it to sound organic and not so analytical. Basically I'm looking for IEMs in the "fun" category. The lows should have presence, but not over dominating and muddy like some of the cheaply made headphones out there. I'm a basshead so this is important. One thing I dislike about the SE215s that I'd like to avoid in my next pair are the slightly tinny highs.

 

I listen to electronic, drum and bass, some dubstep, some hip hop, house, trance, some rock, etc. Also I would prefer for them to not be over the ear as I remove them frequently at work and it's a pain having to adjust them onto my ear each time. Though it's not really an issue if they are over the ear.

 
Budget wise, I'm trying to keep it under $200. 
 
cool.gif

 

Probably the FXD80s. Good punchy bass, clear mids, with some sparkly treble. Really, really good for electronic and the likes. Would have said the X10 as well, but they just came off sale from $70...tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

GR07 fanboy here...I want a universal that is a significant upgrade but with a similar sound signature to the GR07. What say you?
 

 

I would say that the W4s probably have the closest signature with the GR07 than most other universals. Similar warm, balanced sound with good stage size, positioning. The W4 images better and has more detail and slightly more extension, as well as more of a tactile response. Slightly less treble though. If that isn't enough of an upgrade for you, TG334. 

post #1654 of 5343

seeking for a balanced in-ear headphone under 200 dollars that is great with soul :)

post #1655 of 5343
Hi,

I bought the Philips SHE3580 a while ago, based on Joe Bloggs's review - thank you! - and I like them.
As much as I like them, I would like to upgrade. I want something similar in sound signature, but with more clarity on mids and better sound stage.
Soundstage is the main reason I want something better.

I listen mostly to rock, progressive, pop, electro, some metal.
I like warm sound with deep bass (not boomy), and not too harsh treble, but good detail, mids little recessed.
I'm not an audiophile (I guess), but maybe will become smily_headphones1.gif

Budget is around 80$, I use a Sansa Clip+ with no amp, and I buy in Europe.

These are some of the models I can buy, I also give the price for you to consider, because it is different here:

- Shure SE 215K - 127 US $
- Philips SHE9800 - 48 US $
- Sony XBA-1 - 68 US $
- Klipsch Image S4 - 100 US $
- Sennheiser CX 400-II - 57 US $
- Octone IEM Pro - 39 US $

Octone - never heard of them, looks very interesting for the price:
http://www.octone.eu/index.php?id=46&L=0
http://www.amazon.de/Octone-IEM-Pro-Monitoring-Profi-Frequenzgang/dp/B0055QAH7A

Some of the other brands I can buy here are:
AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Jamo, Jays, NOCS, Pioneer.

What do you recommend?
Thanks a lot!
Edited by KopaneDePooj - 11/28/12 at 10:02am
post #1656 of 5343
Hello Everyone! Need your help here. I'm looking to get an upgrade, and really need your opinion.

So far, I've owned Sony MDR NC020, UE Metrofi 100, Klipsch S3, Sennheiser CX215 and UE 600.


- My Rig: Sony Vaio laptop, Sony Walkman S744, Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy Note
- Type of usage: Music, sometimes video.
- File format: 320kbps mp3, flac
- Music genre: Variety of music genres, basically any music.
- Budget: Maximum $200
- Earphone: Looking for an IEM with good bass and clarity, basically an all rounder.
- Other requirements (if any): Comfortable and can take to sleep.

Thanks all! ;D
post #1657 of 5343

..


Edited by invalid404 - 11/28/12 at 9:19pm
post #1658 of 5343

I recently got some Phonak Audeo PFE132s, and they're pretty great with the grey filters, but I was wondering if there were any IEMs with more a pronounced treble that people could recommend. I wouldn't mind a little more bassiness either, but I don't like the sound of either the black or green filters for these things.

post #1659 of 5343

Might as well post it here too!

 

AKG K518 LE vs. Klipsch Image One

 

I have a Fiio E11 amp my source is an iPod Touch 4G. Audio files on the iPod are all converted 256kbps AAC, half are from ALAC files and the other are from 320 mp3's.

I am just craving that devilish smile inducing bass. Big Impact, decent sound through the mids and treble for sure but it's all about the bass for this set of cans! 

 

I can get the AKG's from futureshop for $63

 

And I found a link for the Klipsch Image One on ebay for roughly $75 with shipping

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Klipsch-Image-One-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-w-Mic-Case-iPod-Controls-/130790491361?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e73b884e1&_uhb=1#ht_2739wt_1397

 

If someone can confirm that the ebay seller is legit and what set of phones has a better sound signature and quality for me I would greatly appreciate it because I just want to pull the trigger on something already! dt880smile.png

 

Cheers!

post #1660 of 5343

Hi,

 

I am newbie here... I am from India.. here we dont have much choices available locally...

I want to buy IEM for my smartphone(Samsung Galaxy Note), my budget is USD$150.. & I BUY IN INDIA

 

I am Getting Sony XBA-3 in  USD $ 150 (8K INR).. 

 

I listen Trance, Folk & some times Rock music also.. 3-4 hours/day

 

I tried XBA-3 with my smartphone in the shop yesterday.. but bass was not that significant ( i am not audiophile so might not have good understanding of quality of bass) ..

my friend told me it would also require amplifier if i want to use this with my cellphone.. XBA3i is not available in india which is for ipod & iphone...

 

Please guide me through... as this is my first BA IEM... should i buy it at this cost.. is it worth...?

seperate amp is also required for smartphone use.. ? if its required..which one i buy...?

 

Is there any other option at this price range.. 

 

Thanks


Edited by dhaivat suthar - 11/28/12 at 9:41pm
post #1661 of 5343

I have narrowed down my choices of in ear headphones to either the Klipsch Image s4i (II) or Shure SE215

 

I mainly listen to Rap/Hip Hop; Eminem and the like. 

 

Open for suggestions around the same price.

Cheers.

post #1662 of 5343

Don't sale your self short and get the S4 or SE215 when for around $25 or $30 you can get the Sony MH1C thats sound much better than both.The S4 was my first decent IEM but they have muddy mids and harsh highs.  The SE215 is better than the S4 but the MH1C has better over all detail and a nice soundstage with good 3D presentation.

post #1663 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBertie View Post

I have narrowed down my choices of in ear headphones to either the Klipsch Image s4i (II) or Shure SE215

 

I mainly listen to Rap/Hip Hop; Eminem and the like. 

 

Open for suggestions around the same price.

Cheers.

I strongly suggest the SE215. The only rap artist I listen to is Eminem so I might not be the best person to answer but the SE215 feels exceptionally good for rap to me. Much better than the Klipsch Image s4i.(those break in about 2 months, happened to 3 of friends already.) If you don't mind really extreme isolation, get the SE215s. I recently threw them into the washing machine and drying machine by accident and it worked fine when I took it out. O.o 
 

post #1664 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaivat suthar View Post

Hi,

I am newbie here... I am from India.. here we dont have much choices available locally...
I want to buy IEM for my smartphone(Samsung Galaxy Note), my budget is USD$150.. & I BUY IN INDIA

I am Getting Sony XBA-3 in  USD $ 150 (8K INR).. 

I listen Trance, Folk & some times Rock music also.. 3-4 hours/day

I tried XBA-3 with my smartphone in the shop yesterday.. but bass was not that significant ( i am not audiophile so might not have good understanding of quality of bass) ..
my friend told me it would also require amplifier if i want to use this with my cellphone.. XBA3i is not available in india which is for ipod & iphone...

Please guide me through... as this is my first BA IEM... should i buy it at this cost.. is it worth...?
seperate amp is also required for smartphone use.. ? if its required..which one i buy...?

Is there any other option at this price range.. 

Thanks

I'll let others inform you about other options. But I have the xba3. One thing that is really important is to get a good seal. I found that the large "light blue" tips (without the foam) provides a great seal for me, increases the bass, and also make the treble a little less bright (if you are sensitive to that). And once you attain a really good seal, the music really comes alive, and the bass and sub-bass increases a lot, and provides good kick. It doesn't have the most bass, so if you like quite a bit, then you may want to look elsewhere. Having said that, I like a fair amount of bass, and I find the xba3's to have quite a bit (more than my mh1c's and r1's), and it is wonderfully detailed.

As far as amping is concerned, they sound great on my laptop, my Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Clip Zip using the "flat" EQ setting. Your smartphone should have an EQ on it, so if you like, you could up the bass, and the xba3 should handle it no problem.
post #1665 of 5343

Hi,

             I am a newbie looking for some advice/suggestion. My first iem was Sony's MDR-EX 57 which I found has decent(not great) bass & midrange, but sibilant and piercing treble, so had to eq  it way down from 1khz right through 20khz. Next was Brainwavz-m1 which has less bass than the sony, but better midrange. But still I found the treble to be slightly sparkly(but not piercing) and had to eq it down. Now I realize that my ears had gotten accustomed and love a dark sound with less treble than normal. So bright, sparkly or analytical in an iem is a strict no-no for me. I have also auditioned many iems from friends here and there, but none seem to give the deep, rumbling ,impactful bass and the rich, warm, lush sound of a decent 2.1 home system. Which iem at around $100 budget level would be the most suitable for me? Is it unreasonable to expect those things from an iem? Would full size headphones be more suited to provide those qualities which I need? It would be very helpful if the experienced members would help me out on my next iem purchase. Thanks in advance...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!