Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 104  

post #1546 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaC-F View Post

are skullcandys really that bad?

Most of their IEMs are.

I actually own a pair of Skullcandy Titans I picked at an airport as I forgot my headphones for an 18 hour flight. They're actually okay for the $25. Here's a review from someone here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/455416/skullcandy-titan-review-head-fi-sanity-check

I would stay away from their other offerings though. Far away.
post #1547 of 5343

thanks, ill guess ill use them for times when i could lose my "good ones"

i dug around, found a sony MDR-V6. these any good?


Edited by JoshuaC-F - 11/24/12 at 6:21pm
post #1548 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaC-F View Post

thanks, ill guess ill use them for times when i could lose my "good ones"

i dug around, found a sony MDR-V6. this any good

The Sonys are classic, can't go wrong with them. Might have been usurped by some of the newer offerings, but still a good can. 

 

Again, best you describe your sound preferences, if you want to help others help you!

post #1549 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Any sound preferences? For sheer build, I'd stick with any of the Dunus.

I'm looking for bass and isolation since I have headphones for serious listening. These are going to be my fun pair. Isolation is also very important, and some value is also placed on aesthetics. tongue.gif

Edit: Oh and <$80 please!
Edited by Empire1 - 11/24/12 at 6:25pm
post #1550 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire1 View Post


I'm looking for bass and isolation since I have headphones for serious listening. These are going to be my fun pair. Isolation is also very important, and some value is also placed on aesthetics. tongue.gif
Edit: Oh and <$80 please!

Aesthetics...any idea on what you find to be pretty looking?biggrin.gif

 

A lot of these are pretty under budget, but perform so well that I'll suggest them anyways: GR02 Bass, FX101, CKM500, Turbines (they go on sale pretty often), Eternas. If you can stretch the budget, the Dunu Hephaes looks "pretty" to me, generally good experience with them as gifts, solid build and good bass.  

post #1551 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Aesthetics...any idea on what you find to be pretty looking?biggrin.gif

A lot of these are pretty under budget, but perform so well that I'll suggest them anyways: GR02 Bass, FX101, CKM500, Turbines (they go on sale pretty often), Eternas. If you can stretch the budget, the Dunu Hephaes looks "pretty" to me, generally good experience with them as gifts, solid build and good bass.  

Attractive IEMs that I can (probably) afford:
- UE600
- UE700
- Monster Turbine [they were $79 yesterday but now are $99 )= ]
- those Dunus you mentioned

Attractive IEMs that I can only dream of:
- Monster Turbine Pros (and others in this series >$100)
- UE900


---

Speaking of those Dunus, the reviewers on Amazon don't seem too overly fond of them??
Only 3 star reviews make me a little hesitant.
post #1552 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire1 View Post


Attractive IEMs that I can (probably) afford:
- UE600
- UE700
- Monster Turbine [they were $79 yesterday but now are $99 )= ]
- those Dunus you mentioned
Attractive IEMs that I can only dream of:
- Monster Turbine Pros (and others in this series >$100)
- UE900
---
Speaking of those Dunus, the reviewers on Amazon don't seem too overly fond of them??
Only 3 star reviews make me a little hesitant.

Haha, Amazon reviews.

 

Oh, wait, you were serious? Yeah, don't worry about them.

post #1553 of 5343

Hi, to make a long story short I'm hiking from mexico to canada next year and I need a good pair of headphones with audiophile-ish sound quality. I've looked around at water proof/resistant head phones and all the reviews are bad on the sound quality end. 

So that brings me to non water resistant head phones, Right now I'm looking at the se425s but my big question is, is it possible to maintain them in a constant outdoor environment? I've never actually took headphones outside so I have no clue of the effects of moist air on a normal pair of headphones. This is probably a stupid question but I just need to make sure, since I don't see any good alternatives. Thanks.

post #1554 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post

Hi, to make a long story short I'm hiking from mexico to canada next year and I need a good pair of headphones with audiophile-ish sound quality. I've looked around at water proof/resistant head phones and all the reviews are bad on the sound quality end. 

So that brings me to non water resistant head phones, Right now I'm looking at the se425s but my big question is, is it possible to maintain them in a constant outdoor environment? I've never actually took headphones outside so I have no clue of the effects of moist air on a normal pair of headphones. This is probably a stupid question but I just need to make sure, since I don't see any good alternatives. Thanks.

 

Depends on what you mean by moist air. If you're just talking about humid environments, the Shures should last fine. Problem is that on a long trip like this, the sweat and movement might wear the cable down. Should probably bring a replacement cable or two. Just be careful not to subjugate it to extreme temperatures. Wear an earmuff over it or something when it gets too cold. 

post #1555 of 5343

What qualifies for temperature extremes? It can go from -5 to 105 out there, what would be a safe range to wear them? Or would those temps break it even in the bag?

post #1556 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post

What qualifies for temperature extremes? It can go from -5 to 105 out there, what would be a safe range to wear them? Or would those temps break it even in the bag?

They wouldn't blow up in the bag or something, but yeah, those are pretty extreme. I'd be more worried about the cold then the heat. Again, earmuffs to protect these in the cold would be a good idea. Anything below 5 Celsius wouldn't be good really. This would be true for any IEM. 

post #1557 of 5343

Bleh, I don't know if it would be possible to reliably maintain 5+ celsius with the equipment I'm bringing, do you have any suggestions to a pair that can handle low temps with good sound quality?

post #1558 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Haha, Amazon reviews.

Oh, wait, you were serious? Yeah, don't worry about them.

LOL.
How would you say the quality/durability of them are?
post #1559 of 5343

Hey,

 

I originally posted this in the Full-Sized advice forum, but haven't gotten a response, so I decided to to try here.

 

I'm looking for a $300 or under semi-portable headphone. Over or on ear is fine. Mainly going to be used at home, the bus, and in school during study hall, so closed, minimal leakage headphones are preferred.

I mostly listen to bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, 311, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, and other lighter rock bands. So a warm, slightly bassy headphone sounds good.

I'd like them to look decent, and for reference I love the looks of the Sony MDR-1R and the Philips Fidelio L1.

Just ask if you need any more info.

post #1560 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post

Bleh, I don't know if it would be possible to reliably maintain 5+ celsius with the equipment I'm bringing, do you have any suggestions to a pair that can handle low temps with good sound quality?

 

The ER4 would be the most durable IEM I know of. Many have reported them lasting for 10, 15 years. It's just really durable plastic, the cables are removable as well. They might isolate a bit too much for outside use, but you can just use some shallower tips. I still think the SE425 would be fine, just be careful with them. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire1 View Post


LOL.
How would you say the quality/durability of them are?

 

The DUNUs are the ones I usually reserve as gifts to friends who don't take care of their stuff. They take a beating really well. No one I know's broken their pair yet. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!