Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice... - Page 10  

post #136 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziendobry View Post

I would get the FIIO wire, it is excellent and no memory feature.
 



 



I dont know of any places that have it in stock. Some sites said they will have them at the end of Feb which is now over, some say Mar 15th.

post #137 of 5343
Asking for full-size/portable recommendations based on IEM preference:

Hi guys,

I'm considering a pair of closed circum-aural or super-aural headphones for use at work -- closed only because I don't want to piss off my cube neighbors with excessive sound leak. Have you heard any that sound similar to the RE-262? I would like to get close to matching the SQ, FR, detail, and overall presentation of the RE-262 for under $500, in the $200-$300 range if possible. Do such headphones exist? Something that meets these requirements with a bit more bass quantity (to neutral levels) that sounds a touch less warm would hit a grand slam for me...

You don't have to give me just one answer, 2 or 3 recommendations would help me narrow down my list of a dozen+ portable/full-size headphones in that price range that aren't known to be bass-heavy.

Thanks everyone! biggrin.gif

Off-Topic:
Good link for people like me who don't know subjective audio terms by heart: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html
post #138 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoof View Post


Both Vsonic GR06 and Brainwavz M1 are abit mid centric. If GR06 is out of ur budget, get M1, you would not be disappointed! I like the slightly forward mids and overall balance tone that M1 provides.


Thanks a lot, I've been reading a lot of reviews and I'm probably going to go with the M1s, they seem to suit the music I'll be playing through them and I can get hold of them easily through a UK-based supplier, which is a big positive in my eyes. 

post #139 of 5343

Hi, Im looking for the best possible over all earphones for under $30 CAD. I have the ME Electronics M9 right now and I'm wondering if there is anything better. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

post #140 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepysloth View Post

Hi, Im looking for the best possible over all earphones for under $30 CAD. I have the ME Electronics M9 right now and I'm wondering if there is anything better. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.



Soundmagic PL30 or ATH CKM50

post #141 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepysloth View Post

Hi, Im looking for the best possible over all earphones for under $30 CAD.


Sony or Audio Technica, avoid fakes.

 

post #142 of 5343

Hello everyone!

 

First off, thanks to everyone in this thread that gives such detailed information even to people with little to none headphone experience like me. I already browsed a bit through some threads including this one because just like most of the guys here, i am looking for new headphones and i am simply smashed by the options out there.

 

Some Information about me and my headphones: I recently "destroyed" my second pair of AKG 518 LE's through a broken cable. Therefore i am looking for a new pair of cans to keep my ears happy. As i said i have only little to none experience with headphones (so far i owned some low-mid budget AKGs and Sennheisers) and that is why i need your help. My budget is around 120 $ + shipping but if it really makes a big difference I am willing to go a bit higher. I use my headphones on a daily basis, on my way to the university as well as whilst travelling by train or even airplane. This being said my first priority would be comfort (f.e. the AKG 518 LE's always felt a bit tight and tend to get uncomfortable after longer sessions) followed by sound quality and design.

As a source I use my iPad/iPhone and sometimes an early 2011 MacBook Pro for watching movies. Since i have no real experience regarding sound signatures all I can say is that i prefer to listen to Rock (Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock), Alternative/Indie and a bit Folk/Reggae.

 

I hope this helps to narrow it down a bit for you and i really appreciate your help, you are doing an amazing job in this thread :)


Edited by Ryuriko - 3/4/12 at 1:13am
post #143 of 5343

Hey everyone, i am looking for a good pair of IEM's for under $100 that are really good for movies and have a similar sound to the AUDIO-Technica ATH m50 with no muddiness or overpowering bass, i am considering the Brainwavz M2 or M4 but does anyone know any that are better than those for under $100 for movies or does anyone have an opinion on those 2?

post #144 of 5343

"movies"

 

The Sony EX600 is really good with movies, it's a bit over $100 though, I wonder what the EX310 or EX510 is like...

 

"(Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock), Alternative/Indie"

 

So you want emphasis on the vocals and electric guitar, listen at medium-high volumes, something like that?

 

Edit:  I find with alternative rock, garagerock, punkrock etc. you want a headphone with some bite in it, not a neutral/reference type sound.  It's difficult to find a good alternative rock headphone, at least I think it is.  I hope someone else can answer.


Edited by kiteki - 3/4/12 at 2:26am
post #145 of 5343

I just tried the CKM50 for you (from your thread) and while it has good depth, it lacks the detail, clarity, and width to portray the scenes in movies with enough realism, like listening to an decent 2.1 setup. There's nothing wrong with it but its not ideal for that application. I love movies on my GR07, and I feel the EX600, if you can save up another 20 bucks, would be excellent also. Maybe look into the GR06 as a lower cost alternative, if it has similar presentational properties to the GR07 (I don't know if it does).

 

Oddly enough, I don't feel large bass is really as big of a factor when it comes to watching movies because it's really such a small part what sound is in most movies. Depth and texture I feel are important though, since the majority of bass in movies seems to be mechanical sounds and explosions.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytisawfulnow View Post

Hey everyone, i am looking for a good pair of IEM's for under $100 that are really good for movies and have a similar sound to the AUDIO-Technica ATH m50 with no muddiness or overpowering bass, i am considering the Brainwavz M2 or M4 but does anyone know any that are better than those for under $100 for movies or does anyone have an opinion on those 2?



 

post #146 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibble Fat View Post

Asking for full-size/portable recommendations based on IEM preference:
Hi guys,
I'm considering a pair of closed circum-aural or super-aural headphones for use at work -- closed only because I don't want to piss off my cube neighbors with excessive sound leak. Have you heard any that sound similar to the RE-262? I would like to get close to matching the SQ, FR, detail, and overall presentation of the RE-262 for under $500, in the $200-$300 range if possible. Do such headphones exist? Something that meets these requirements with a bit more bass quantity (to neutral levels) that sounds a touch less warm would hit a grand slam for me...
You don't have to give me just one answer, 2 or 3 recommendations would help me narrow down my list of a dozen+ portable/full-size headphones in that price range that aren't known to be bass-heavy.
Thanks everyone! biggrin.gif

no recommendations? redface.gif
post #147 of 5343

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser HD485s and Phillips HP910s. I prefer the sound and comfort (velvet pads <3) of the HP910s. Since I don't have a great vocabulary for these things, I'll cite someone else's description of their sound: "all of the frequencies are adequately represented. The bass is rolled off, the mids shine true, and the highs bright." So that is the kind of sound that I would prefer. I like to be able to hear deep bass frequencies but I don't like it to be exaggerated or boomy. They HP910s also seem to have more soundstage and the separation of different instrument is better. The HD485s in contrast sound a bit too much like my memory of the Grado SR60s, very "flat" sound, no soundstage, somewhat fatiguing.

I listen to a wide range of music, but if the cans were to sound especially good with certain types of music they should be techno/electronica/downtempo/ambient.

 

So here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: ~$100

Comfort: Very important, I listen for long periods (~6-8 hours at a time)

Size: Ideally portable (I travel for 3/4ths of the year), note that I consider the HD485s to be portable

Sound: Big soundstage

 

So far I have been considering:

Audio-Techncia ATH-ES7

Fischer Audio FA-004/Incipico nx104
AKG K518 LE (afraid they might be too bassy)

Panasonic RP-HT770 / Audio Technica ATH-AD700

 

Would any of these cans actually be an upgrade from what I have now? Am I missing an obvious choice?

 

Thanks!

post #148 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

"(Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock), Alternative/Indie"

 

So you want emphasis on the vocals and electric guitar, listen at medium-high volumes, something like that?

 

Edit:  I find with alternative rock, garagerock, punkrock etc. you want a headphone with some bite in it, not a neutral/reference type sound.  It's difficult to find a good alternative rock headphone, at least I think it is.  I hope someone else can answer.


Exactly, some "bite" sounds like that's what i want. Having emphasis on the vocals would definitely benefit the classic/alternative rock genre, yes. Anyone got an idea what i am looking for?

 

Edit: Also i would prefer on-ear instead of in-ear headphones if that helps to narrow it down even further.

 

Edit2: I find like Grado's seems to be the "obvious choice" here when it comes to rock-ish headphones, unfortunately as far as i see, those are all open back and i am afraid those would leak to much sound when i am travelling and/or in the university at populated places. Can anyone confirm/deny that?


Edited by Ryuriko - 3/4/12 at 12:31pm
post #149 of 5343

Hi,

 

Like mrpbrown (mrpbrown) I'm looking for some new IEMs. For the past few years, I've been using Sony MDR-EX75/6s. Over the past few weeks, a dodgy connection where the (J-style, asymmetrical) cable splits has left the right 'phone pretty unreliable. I'm looking to upgrade and have narrowed my options to the Soundmagic PL-21s or MEElectronics' M11+s. My budget is <£30.

 

Having perused ljokerl's massive multi-IEM review I suspect the M11+s are more suited to my musical tastes - most of the time I'm listening to D&B, though it would be good to know that they'd work well for the occasional rock album.

 

While narrowing down my options, I considered the M6s, but as I'm used to it, I'd rather have the choice of leaving the cable hanging down rather than always being over-the-ear.

 

I have to confess that the primary reason I'm considering the PL-21s is aesthetics: leaving this aside, would you guys say that the price premium for the M11+s is worth it?

 

Thanks in advance for your help :)

 

P.S. They'll be used un-amped with my iPod (touch) and 2007 iMac.


Edited by TheElf - 3/4/12 at 2:18pm
post #150 of 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuriko View Post


Exactly, some "bite" sounds like that's what i want. Having emphasis on the vocals would definitely benefit the classic/alternative rock genre, yes. Anyone got an idea what i am looking for?

 

Edit: Also i would prefer on-ear instead of in-ear headphones if that helps to narrow it down even further.

 

Edit2: I find like Grado's seems to be the "obvious choice" here when it comes to rock-ish headphones, unfortunately as far as i see, those are all open back and i am afraid those would leak to much sound when i am travelling and/or in the university at populated places. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

 

They will leak too much.

 

Perhaps there's a closed-back Audio Technica or Sony of some sort with good vocal boost and electric guitar bite, but I have not found such a model.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!