or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 632

post #9466 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I wouldn't have thought so. I don't know how people can hear so differently.

Both the D7000 and TH600 are absolute sub bass monsters. I wouldn't expect any different with the TH900.

I honestly laughed out loud when I was testing the TH600. I've heard so many impressions stating the bass was a bit reigned in, and it was more neutral sounding. What I've heard and felt was... BOOM, THUNDER, RUMBLE on my fave tracks and video games. I was so pleased that these people were 100% wrong. I think people focus too much on mid bass, and I guess that's where the direct impact may be not as strong as some mid bass heavy headphones.

For quite some time, I had felt that my preference for sound was a raised bass. After getting. Th900, I now realise that it's not actually more bass that I want, but more sub bass.

Once that is in place, I feel that the headphone is much more satisfying to listen to.

Too many headphones have a large hump in the mid bass which gives the impression of a big bass where there is no real sub bass. Once you hear it though, your choice of future headphones becomes limited!
post #9467 of 14257
Yup. A distinct, cavernous level of sub bass is going to enhance the sound much more than boosted midbass ever will. That is why headphones like the LCD2 (pre-fazor) left an everlasting impression on me. By all accounts, the bass is flat, but the sub bass goes so low, it fills out the sound so nicely. Same with the D7000, TH600, and even the HE-400. Sub bass is overlooked, and I feel it should be the opposite. Large subbass won't be as invasive as large mid bass, while still giving an awesome sense of bass.
post #9468 of 14257
Good subbass is much harder to pull off technically. It's about the Immersion, atmosphere, the thunder and deep rumble though why we define our bass preference primarily on the lowest lows. The Durin's Bane of audio.
post #9469 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Same with the D7000, TH600, and even the HE-400. Sub bass is overlooked, and I feel it should be the opposite. Large subbass won't be as invasive as large mid bass, while still giving an awesome sense of bass.

It really isn't, and yet the bass is powerful. I must admit that I was very curious how the th600 compares. It seems to me that reviews are a bit cooler than it deserves. Maybe because it's not as pretty as the wooden cups of the th900, but tbh, I'd prefer something more durable if it didn't affect the sound. I treat the th900 like some rare metal because of the cups.
post #9470 of 14257
I'll be comparing them soon. Not in depth, but enough to see just how similar the two are (I have to return the TH600 shortly). I'm not about hyperbole. I definitely don't think the TH900 is gonna be a massive improvement. I expect subtle improvement/differences. The TH600 I have has a nasty 5khz spike that I honestly can't tolerate. It is far too pronounced for my ears. That is literally the only reason (besides wanting a bit warmer sound) that I decided to go for the TH900, to see if it behaves better in that range. If I can get the TH600 sound with no nastiness in that range, it's already a win. I know other improvements are abound, so I'm excited.

I actually prefer the black magnesium cups on the TH600 over the high, fancy finish of the TH900. I'm not about all that color pop and shine, but ah well.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/14/15 at 3:03am
post #9471 of 14257
The th900 also has a mild hump around 5khz I think actually. It does have a 'u' shape fr. It can be quite toppy with that bass at the other end.

I like it a lot, but I was extremely curious how close the th600 is. As you say, I suspect pretty close and at a much lower price.
post #9472 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post

Too many headphones have a large hump in the mid bass which gives the impression of a big bass where there is no real sub bass. Once you hear it though, your choice of future headphones becomes limited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post

The th900 also has a mild hump around 5khz I think actually. It does have a 'u' shape fr. It can be quite toppy with that bass at the other end.

x2
post #9473 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


 So which is it? Is the sub bass lacking on the TH900 or is it not?

 

Absolutely not!

post #9474 of 14257
I would say that the bass is one of the nicest features of the th900. Sub bass is superb.

It also has this lovely analytical capability and a sense of space that just makes you forget that it's a closed headphone. I have no idea how to quantify this, but it does sound extremely musical and yet analytical at the same time!
post #9475 of 14257
Our term is "Fostex Magic"

Have a Valhalla 2 incoming, let's see how it pairs with the TH-900.
post #9476 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post

I would say that the bass is one of the nicest features of the th900. Sub bass is superb.

It also has this lovely analytical capability and a sense of space that just makes you forget that it's a closed headphone. I have no idea how to quantify this, but it does sound extremely musical and yet analytical at the same time!

 

I understand exactly what you mean. Describing sound is difficult. TH900 is energetic, open and natural. With good recordings the sound is so lush, but with poorer records it can be "too much".

post #9477 of 14257
Exactly. I have a Polaris amp and a Neco ss amp, and I can easily differentiate the two of them via the th900. So it has this ability to pick minutia but also makes music sound so good. It kind of sucks you I side the sound enabling you to focus on different parts of the music and hear exactly what they're playing, rather than get an 'overall' effect, although the overall effect you do get is very musical.

I was listening to one of the later King Crimson albums today and with the TH900 you can really pick out the polyrhythms going on and even how each individual is playing them. It picks out inner rhythms and detail very well.

It's way more analytical than I thought before I got it after reading reviews.
post #9478 of 14257
I usually describe the th900's as warm, musical, and articulate without ever becoming analytical. They are quite forgiving with inferior recordings, but about 15% of my collection is mastered poorly and becomes emberassingly unlistenable on them. That said - I'll take the Fostex Magic, as it lets me get so much more out the the other 85%.

The bass and sub-bass are glorious, and I say this as someone who requires a thick, deep sound. The LCD-2.r2 (pre fazor) are probably my second favorite headphone in this regard.
post #9479 of 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-kraken View Post

I usually describe the th900's as warm, musical, and articulate without ever becoming analytical. They are quite forgiving with inferior recordings, but about 15% of my collection is mastered poorly and becomes emberassingly unlistenable on them. That said - I'll take the Fostex Magic, as it lets me get so much more out the the other 85%.

The bass and sub-bass are glorious, and I say this as someone who requires a thick, deep sound. The LCD-2.r2 (pre fazor) are probably my second favorite headphone in this regard.

Thank you for this. The LCD2.2 pre fazor is also my second fave headphone in terms of sound characteristics. D7000 being my first.
post #9480 of 14257

I also love the sound of my pre-fazor LCD2.2.  Comparing them side by side, the TH900 has more sub-bass presence, it's very apparent when switching between them on the same song.  It's also very apparent which is more comfortable.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread