Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 2:04 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 10/21/14 at 7:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 498post #7456 of 80587/14/14 at 6:42am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7457 of 80587/14/14 at 8:57amQuote:
I actually don't use the volume control of the Master 9.
I set it to the maximum volume I would want and then I use a passive preamp called Tortuga Audio LDR 1. It gives me 70 steps within whatever I set as the maximum volume on the Master 9. For example- if I set the Master 9 to 60 in high power or 55 in low power (which is about all I need for the LA900) - I will have that divided into 70 steps on the Tortuga. The Tortuga passive also creates a meatier sound which I prefer over the Master 9 volume control.
Using the HE-6 I set the volume on the Master 9 to 90 because sometimes I need it that loud and the Tortuga also divides that into 70 steps.
Edited by rsbrsvp - 7/15/14 at 11:36ampost #7458 of 80587/19/14 at 7:38ampost #7459 of 80587/19/14 at 7:44amQuote:
That is one beautiful can. I don't mind replacing the red urushi cups. :)post #7460 of 80587/19/14 at 8:47amQuote:
Gorgeous. As much as I like the stock look, I think I prefer the "out of the box" thinking. Plus you can sell the stockers probably for $100 or so to offset the cost.post #7461 of 80587/19/14 at 8:48ampost #7462 of 80587/19/14 at 8:52ampost #7463 of 80587/19/14 at 9:36amit's beautiful work to be sure but again i just don't see the point in replacing one type of unique craftsmanship with another. would rather give the guy an ordinary looking pair of cans that sounded great to turn into an extraordinary looking pair of cans.post #7464 of 80587/19/14 at 9:42amQuote:Interesting yes, better looking? No, IMO. This takes the smooth and sleek urushi cups and replaces them with an essentially inverted muffin look. Just my 0.02$.post #7465 of 80587/19/14 at 2:41pmQuote:Quote:
Agreed on both accounts.
While I personally feel that the work done by Martin is top notch and attractive, I cant help but feel that it seems a waste of the rare Japanese wood species that is used in the stock cups.
Not to mention the traditional artisan house that created the rich finish and lacquer.
IMO there is a certain pedigree built into the TH-900 (due to these finely crafted Japanese cups) that the Martin approach lacks.post #7466 of 80587/19/14 at 3:42pmpost #7467 of 80587/20/14 at 1:55ampost #7468 of 80587/20/14 at 2:18am
I agree with most here about the martin cups. This makes me not want to sell my Denon D2000s that I just put on the classifieds...I don't think those kind of cups are worth it for something as beautiful as the TH900, but they sure would make my D2000s unique, and I'd never want to get rid of them after that kind of treatment. Damn, I am really torn now on what to do...why did I have to see that link.post #7469 of 80587/20/14 at 6:02amQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
I agree with most here about the martin cups. This makes me not want to sell my Denon D2000s that I just put on the classifieds...I don't think those kind of cups are worth it for something as beautiful as the TH900, but they sure would make my D2000s unique, and I'd never want to get rid of them after that kind of treatment. Damn, I am really torn now on what to do...why did I have to see that link.
Martin cups on a D2000 are sweet.....post #7470 of 80587/20/14 at 11:34am
Agreed, on a D2000 you have nothing to lose but something to gain as far as some nice looking cups and further sound tweaks.
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 46 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 53 seconds ago
- › Need help with 2nd Generation iPod Classic. 59 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Lcd's and unlistenable cd's 1 minute ago
- › adding amp to Meridian Explorer 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 7 minutes ago
- › DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)