Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 5:06 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Which headphones at up to $2000 budget? Last post on 11/16/14 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Takato's Giant Wanted Ad Last post on 11/12/14 at 7:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz for providing me a sample of the S0 for review. This is only the second Brainwavz earphone I’ve had the pleasure to audition, the...
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 498post #7456 of 82227/14/14 at 6:42am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7457 of 82227/14/14 at 8:57amQuote:
I actually don't use the volume control of the Master 9.
I set it to the maximum volume I would want and then I use a passive preamp called Tortuga Audio LDR 1. It gives me 70 steps within whatever I set as the maximum volume on the Master 9. For example- if I set the Master 9 to 60 in high power or 55 in low power (which is about all I need for the LA900) - I will have that divided into 70 steps on the Tortuga. The Tortuga passive also creates a meatier sound which I prefer over the Master 9 volume control.
Using the HE-6 I set the volume on the Master 9 to 90 because sometimes I need it that loud and the Tortuga also divides that into 70 steps.
Edited by rsbrsvp - 7/15/14 at 11:36ampost #7458 of 82227/19/14 at 7:38ampost #7459 of 82227/19/14 at 7:44amQuote:
That is one beautiful can. I don't mind replacing the red urushi cups. :)post #7460 of 82227/19/14 at 8:47amQuote:
Gorgeous. As much as I like the stock look, I think I prefer the "out of the box" thinking. Plus you can sell the stockers probably for $100 or so to offset the cost.post #7461 of 82227/19/14 at 8:48ampost #7462 of 82227/19/14 at 8:52ampost #7463 of 82227/19/14 at 9:36amit's beautiful work to be sure but again i just don't see the point in replacing one type of unique craftsmanship with another. would rather give the guy an ordinary looking pair of cans that sounded great to turn into an extraordinary looking pair of cans.post #7464 of 82227/19/14 at 9:42amQuote:Interesting yes, better looking? No, IMO. This takes the smooth and sleek urushi cups and replaces them with an essentially inverted muffin look. Just my 0.02$.post #7465 of 82227/19/14 at 2:41pmQuote:Quote:
Agreed on both accounts.
While I personally feel that the work done by Martin is top notch and attractive, I cant help but feel that it seems a waste of the rare Japanese wood species that is used in the stock cups.
Not to mention the traditional artisan house that created the rich finish and lacquer.
IMO there is a certain pedigree built into the TH-900 (due to these finely crafted Japanese cups) that the Martin approach lacks.post #7466 of 82227/19/14 at 3:42pmpost #7467 of 82227/20/14 at 1:55ampost #7468 of 82227/20/14 at 2:18am
I agree with most here about the martin cups. This makes me not want to sell my Denon D2000s that I just put on the classifieds...I don't think those kind of cups are worth it for something as beautiful as the TH900, but they sure would make my D2000s unique, and I'd never want to get rid of them after that kind of treatment. Damn, I am really torn now on what to do...why did I have to see that link.post #7469 of 82227/20/14 at 6:02amQuote:Originally Posted by goldenSHK
I agree with most here about the martin cups. This makes me not want to sell my Denon D2000s that I just put on the classifieds...I don't think those kind of cups are worth it for something as beautiful as the TH900, but they sure would make my D2000s unique, and I'd never want to get rid of them after that kind of treatment. Damn, I am really torn now on what to do...why did I have to see that link.
Martin cups on a D2000 are sweet.....post #7470 of 82227/20/14 at 11:34am
Agreed, on a D2000 you have nothing to lose but something to gain as far as some nice looking cups and further sound tweaks.
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 20 seconds ago
- › Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 56 seconds ago
- › iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › HIFIMAN: HM650 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › List of DACs that work with iPad 2 minutes ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-MSR7LTD 2 minutes ago
- › Giveaway: Sennheiser HD700 and Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies DAC/amp 4 minutes ago
- › any amp/dac combo that beats Yulong U100 for 110$? 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3