I hope you find that extra spice you are after.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 10:10 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 9/24/14 at 2:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on Yesterday at 3:31 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 (updated 2014 version!!!) on-ear premium portable headphones. ...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 492post #7366 of 80116/28/14 at 10:09am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7367 of 80116/28/14 at 10:15ampost #7368 of 80116/28/14 at 10:23amQuote:
I think that the TH-900 ARE fun to listen to.
But you don't need to spend this much for "fun" sound if that's all you want. These give a very refined, audiophile friendly (which to me means detailed, clear and precise) type of sound. More so than something like the D2000.
(All just IMHO, of course. Like everything I've said here )
Edited by TWerk - 6/28/14 at 10:24ampost #7369 of 80116/28/14 at 10:28ampost #7370 of 80116/28/14 at 10:39amQuote:Originally Posted by Audio Jester
@TWerk I think you're a champion for being honest enough with yourself to not just mindlessly give the TH900 a glowing review.
I hope you find that extra spice you are after.
I wanted to give my honest impression so as to possibly help someone that finds themselves in my shoes in the future (looks like obsidyen is facing a similar situation!!). I hope to prevent other people from thinking that they need to have something like the TH-900 to have enjoyable sound for EDM music.
I experienced the feeling that I just had to have something better/upgrade, but "upgradeitis" can make us unhappy and not appreciative of the awesome gear we actually do have.
For me, PRO 900 and D2000 W/ Alphas pads are both very pleasing headphones.
My experience with both TH-900 and SIG DJ tells me that extra money buys you more refined sound, which is not necessarily what everyone will ultimately desire.
I think this statement makes my main revelation clear, so I'll stop repeating it. Sorry! ;)
Again, I'm glad I tried them out myself, because you just never know till you try. The F/S part of this website is a godsend for people like me who need to hear things to make up their minds. There are just too many differing opinions from everybody to know what to expect personally without a listen.
This is indeed a journey of sorts. A journey I'm happy to share with all you, my friends.
Edited by TWerk - 6/28/14 at 1:18pmpost #7371 of 80116/28/14 at 10:57amQuote:
They're a pretty big step-up in my opinion; I own both and no longer use the 650s. I did give them another try last week and they sound slow and somewhat muddy by comparison.post #7372 of 80116/28/14 at 12:37pmHD600 > HD650 anyway
Senn HD6xx may be long in the tooth and seem rough next to modern headphones but maintain they are right up there for best price / performance ratio around and especially when you factor scaling ability. Out of my entire collection I would never sell HD600 and it does something different to TH900.post #7373 of 80116/28/14 at 1:09pmi'm a bit tired tonight and not in the mood for writing a thesis but here's my opnion after having owned Denon's, Lawtons, AT woodies and also the HD650.
Every post after (and including) TWerk's sincere review makes damn good sence and is valuable info to people into or considering these kinds of cans. TWerk just made this thread really interesting!
This doesn't mean people who can spare the money shouldn't buy the TH900 though, if your budget at this point in life allows it and you are far enough into the Head-Fi journey they are a really good buy. But DO take this as a journey and do it one step at at a time, that's where the fun is at and what will bring you a lot of joy.
One last remark about the HD650. I agree with the opinions here in this thread on the HD650 but everything about these phones changes with a silver cable. And yes I spent some money on phones cables and a wole lotta more on speaker cables. And no I don't belive in recabling or cables anymore. With the exception of silver for the HD650. And no, I won't get into a cable discussion here as this would hurt the interesting discussion we have going on right now. With cables as with most things, to each his own opinion.
I believe you should sell the TH-900's for now TWerk and try some D/LA/2000/5000 or a nice used pair of TH-600. For now... Perception of money, appreciation, sound quality, music tastes and sound signatures you like (with different genres) will change over time. And then there could be different phones perfect for different genres to your ears. This 'll be a long, long journey, but that's what makes it great!
Edited by AppleheadMay - 6/28/14 at 1:14pmpost #7374 of 80116/28/14 at 1:44pmpost #7375 of 80116/28/14 at 1:44pmUnsure of the fuss. Every 10-pages someone blind buys the TH900 and decides they are not right for them.
This site has mature membership and general consensus on headphones is usually reliable. So it comes down to personal preference and perception as ever. TH900 having clear, smooth and coloured sound is in every review, if that is what TWerk is referring to. Nothing wrong with that summary, it will do. That result conversely translates to a 'fun' and engaging sound for my tastes.
Do not agree with TH600 recommendation. TH900 more elevated sound but they share same family relationship.
If you find something you like then stop buying hardware and buy more music insteadpost #7376 of 80116/28/14 at 1:55pm
well i decided to just bump the journey up into one swoop, if you call going from dr dre detox and an iphone to th900 and hpa8 a journey....I love them and dont know where to go from here, probably no where but I keep looking, reading and clicking.post #7377 of 80116/28/14 at 2:56pmQuote:
Noob!! Your next step is to acquire those magical blocks of wood that supposedly remove unwanted vibrations caused by the Earth's rotation and place them under your amp.post #7378 of 80116/28/14 at 2:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by kurochin
Noob!! Your next step is to acquire those magical blocks of wood that supposedly remove unwanted vibrations caused by the Earth's rotation and place them under your amp.
its not the electromagnetic flux coming from my equipment that must be neutralized?post #7379 of 80116/28/14 at 3:01pmpost #7380 of 80116/28/14 at 3:03pmQuote:
No kidding, lol
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 10 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 40 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 55 seconds ago
- › Looking for a new pair of headphones. 4 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 5 minutes ago
- › WTT: Fiio E07K for Sansa Clip Zip/+ 6 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 6 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › Low Impedance vs. High Impedance? Huge Difference? 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by Sonic Defender
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)