Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 491

post #7351 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

Thanks snapple!

It is absolutely an improvement over my D2000, but not drastically so. Not really a big improvement on the "fun factor" of the Denon. They share a similar overall sound, with the TH-900 being a good deal more refined and detailed. Again, "cleaner and clearer" come to mind when comparing it to the D2000. That's really what I've noticed in my first few hours listening.
I think it takes a certain level of self control to be able to be satisfied with a D2000 rather than go for the more expensive TH900, something that I probably lack. I still have my D2000, but I could part with them whereas I could not part with my TH900. I have always felt that the Denon is pure fun and for an everyday HP it does the business, but I don't get lost in their sound in the same way that I do with the Fostex. If you are primarily into EDM, Pop or club music then I would agree that to some extent the TH900 is not fully utilised, but if you are listening to music that is textural or relies on acoustic elements then I feel the TH900 really shines over the D2000. I would also say that the Fostex is a better all-rounder and has more control and detail when needed.

If you are after a more fun sound you might be better off investing in dacs and amps to bring more fun to the party. Maybe vintage amps could help?
Edited by Audio Jester - 6/27/14 at 10:08pm
post #7352 of 8530

Sorry to hear that these haven't rocked your world (yet) TWerk.  One suggestion would be to give yourself some more time with them, 12 hours of ownership is still to early to simply throw in the towel.

 

Judging by your recent post based on your initial impressions with the TH-900 something occurred to me.

 

I can only speak from my own personal experience as far as it may reflect into this hobby we call head fi.  Long story short is that I myself began this "journey" back in 2005 with the purchase of some Grado SR-80's.  I did plenty of research on them, asked plenty of questions and was prepared to pay a good amount of money for them (lol if I only knew).  I loved them and lived with them for a couple of years during that time upgrading along the way to a Grado 225 and eventually an RS-2 and so on.....etc ....etc. (I also walked 10 miles to school in 5 feet of snow ...lol)

 

My point is TWerk that this whole scenario I have described above represents a journey of sorts.  Along the way, probably without even knowing it to some degree my ear became more acute at picking out qualities in each headphone as I climbed the ladder (for lack of a better word).  I began to be able to discern all of the various attributes that make up a top tier headphone.

 

In a nutshell TWerk (and without getting anymore longwinded) I wonder, with all due respect if you need to "journey" some more.  Sure its possible that the TH-900 may not be for you (we all have different ears), it may be that simple.

 

At the end of the day you are the only one that can decide whether you like them or not and that's all that matters.

 

Live with them for a while, listen to them, appreciate them for what they are and what they represent (as in state of the art, top tier producers of sound).  

 

You owe it to yourself TWerk. 


Edited by Mortalcoil - 6/27/14 at 11:17pm
post #7353 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil View Post
 

Sorry to hear that these haven't rocked your world (yet) TWerk.  One suggestion would be to give yourself some more time with them, 12 hours of ownership is still to early to simply throw in the towel.

 

Judging by your recent post based on your initial impressions with the TH-900 something occurred to me.

 

I can only speak from my own personal experience as far as it may reflect into this hobby we call head fi.  Long story short is that I myself began this "journey" back in 2005 with the purchase of some Grado SR-80's.  I did plenty of research on them, asked plenty of questions and was prepared to pay a good amount of money for them (lol if I only knew).  I loved them and lived with them for a couple of years during that time upgrading along the way to a Grado 225 and eventually an RS-2 and so on.....etc ....etc. (I also walked 10 miles to school in 5 feet of snow ...lol)

 

My point is TWerk that this whole scenario I have described above represents a journey of sorts.  Along the way, probably without even knowing it to some degree my ear became more acute at picking out qualities in each headphone as I climbed the ladder (for lack of a better word).  I began to be able to discern all of the various attributes that make up a top tier headphone.

 

In a nutshell TWerk (and without getting anymore longwinded) I wonder, with all due respect if you need to "journey" some more.  Sure its possible that the TH-900 may not be for you (we all have different ears), it may be that simple.

 

At the end of the day you are the only one that can decide whether you like them or not and that's all that matters.

 

Live with them for a while, listen to them, appreciate them for what they are and what they represent (as in state of the art, top tier producers of sound).  

 

You owe it to yourself TWerk. 

+1. It is truly a journey.  I started off with the ATH M-50 and never thought I'd end up owning all the HPs that I do. But sometimes this journey can get uncomfortable (on the wallet,as Head-fi'ers tirelessly point out). At which time, one takes a call on price/performance or price/fun ratio. I have never heard the Denons but after owning the 900, I feel there is no need to now. That's my 2 cents. 

Good luck, Twerk.

post #7354 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
*With all these improvements, one would think I'd be absolutely in love. But that's the thing. While I can appreciate the extra clarity over my D2000, it doesn't really sound much more "fun" than those do. My hope was to find something that would be even more "fun" to listen to. For me, the fun is in the bass, and I'm afraid the headphone might be almost too "good" and refined for my taste if that makes any sense at all. I mean to say, that while my D2000 is less clear and detailed, it still has an explosively fun sub bass. It's just less overall fidelity, less detail and clarity.

 

Hmm... My Th900 trumps my D5000 (with Martin Audio CoCo Rosewd extra deep cups) any day. I use them mostly for Trance. Is it possible that they might they lack the "fun factor" maybe because of the Lawton mod ?


Edited by punit - 6/28/14 at 12:31am
post #7355 of 8530

I appreciate the feedback! Thank you all.

 

I've been doing the headphone thing a little over two years, when I bought my PRO 900 headphone on Ebay. I loved that headphone, and lived with it about half a year, before I went into "my experimentation phase," of buying and selling and working towards what I figured would be the "best" and most enjoyable sound for EDM music.

 

(This is because my music library and listening habits consist of 90%+ EDM music)

 

Eventually I worked my way up to the SIG DJ and TH-900, which really stretched my wallet to reach. I only have a summer job, so I don't have steady income all year long.

 

If I was making more money, I'd probably feel differently, but when the budget is tight, it's hard. I thought about this before I pulled the trigger on these, I couldn't believe I was going to spend so much. Maybe later down the line, when I have more than just a summer job and more saved, I can revisit the idea of a summit headphone.

 

Again, I do hear a very noticeable improvement to sound, (everything sounds better, clearer, and tighter) which I said in my initial impression post. I don't want to repeat myself over and over, but I DO HEAR IT! They are the "best" I've heard from everything I've heard. The thing is I don't think I NEED this superb performance because I don't listen to music in a manner to really appreciate the extra bits that these bring to the table. Does this make sense?

 

I would probably feel better with the TH-600, being that it is half the price, and as others have suggested based limited equipment, might give me a similar performance. That's probably what I should have gone with in the first place, but everywhere I read the TH-900 bass is better and it is more of a V shaped headphone, something I knew I liked more, so I said, I'll try it!

 

Perhaps I haven't had enough time in the hobby, haven't "journeyed" enough as others have suggested (I am only 22 years old). But based on my interests, I don't think these are going to be kept for now. I knew it within the first few hours of listening.

 

I really questioned writing all this, about how I feel, because I didn't want to look dumb or inexperienced to you all. I really respect this hobby, and I've learned much already. I truly believe the passion we all share is about enjoying the music. Whatever gear best accomplishes that goal varies from individual to individual, but you never know until you try it. And try it, I have.

 

G' night friends!:beerchug: 


Edited by TWerk - 6/28/14 at 7:40am
post #7356 of 8530
@ twerk - being an audiophile isn't supposed to be fun. wink.gif seems to me that you've moved up to a more refined and resolving headphone. that doesn't mean it's going to be more pleasing to the ear or "fun" to listen to. if you're looking for a party in your ear cups then maybe flagship cans aren't for you.
Edited by up late - 6/28/14 at 2:12am
post #7357 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

@ twerk - being an audiophile isn't supposed to be fun. wink.gif seems to me that you've moved up to a more refined and resolving headphone. that doesn't mean it's going to be more pleasing to the ear or "fun" to listen to. if you're looking for a party in your ear cups then maybe flagship cans aren't for you.

 

Exactly! Thanks for effectively summarizing in one paragraph what took me a couple of complete essays to express!


Edited by TWerk - 6/28/14 at 2:27am
post #7358 of 8530

How much of an improvement TH900s be over Senn HD650s? I'm using Chord Hugo as dac/amp.

post #7359 of 8530
TWerk.
Get a SubPac for your D2000 instead; http://www.thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1

Nothing more fun than getting 5Hz punches in the ribs. =P
post #7360 of 8530

@Twerk I do agree.. D2000 with JMoney Pads and A8c is AMAZINGLY FUN. 
 

I have yet to year more fun than this (because of Bass / Sub bass). It is a VERY HIGH Price/Performance Ratio.

 

I rate the FUN FACTOR or may be PRAT in another term 9.5-10 for synergy of D2000  (with JMoney Pads, or may be even better with mrspeakers' ?) + Fostex HP-A8c. It can easily makes you dance if the music is right (and of course your mood :D)

 

And yes, I've heard TH900 + HP-A8c for few minutes I don't think fun is its strength, but polite/refined Denon house sound is the right word to describe it.

 

If in the future you find more fun headset (or combo with DAC/AMP)  let me know :)

 

It's such a shame that D2000 is discontinued (JMoneyPads too).

 

But I am still bit curious, could you please try Lawton Mod, JMoney Pads, or Alpha Pad (or other lamb leather pad if applicable) to TH900.. how is the fun level?


Edited by myc - 6/28/14 at 7:59am
post #7361 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

How much of an improvement TH900s be over Senn HD650s? I'm using Chord Hugo as dac/amp.

Oh wow, the Senn, IMO, is more than a little weak compared to the 900. Full, engaging 3D sound with hard hitting bottom end and a smooth top end is what the 900 is about. The 650 is a little too dark for me (and a tad less punchy as well).

post #7362 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Oh wow, the Senn, IMO, is more than a little weak compared to the 900. Full, engaging 3D sound with hard hitting bottom end and a smooth top end is what the 900 is about. The 650 is a little too dark for me (and a tad less punchy as well).

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to try them but I've yet to find a Fostex dealer that imports TH900s.

 

Anyone tried these with Chord Hugo?

post #7363 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

Exactly! Thanks for effectively summarizing in one paragraph what took me a couple of complete essays to express!

So I sold TWerk the TH900's and now honestly feel a little bad he isn't overjoyed. BUT I get it. I thought my 52 year old ears was the issue in that my D7000's sound as good to me with the exception of the times I was in the mood for a true basshead moment. I'd put on something that really hit and let the vintage Pioneer have its way and the TH900's would rattle my head but good. The bass tightness is what I was so impressed with and the Lawton mods took no fun away to my ears. I sold them kind of out of boredom since I realize I can't stay monogamous to a headphone collection and say I'm done. Probably never will. I've made three moves since the sale. I'm hopeless in that regard. But I will say this - the Denon sound sig is my true love. I now own or have owned all the key ones (including the 7100 now) and they all have that fun factor even tho the pundits panned the 7100 to no end. They all sound great.

Back to the amps - these (both Denon and the TH900) out of vintage are exceptional. If you are considering getting into the vintage scene, do it. You won't be disappointed.

TWerk - good for you saying your piece.
post #7364 of 8530
but the denon 7100 isn't made by fostex unlike the previous denon models
post #7365 of 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

but the denon 7100 isn't made by fostex unlike the previous denon models

I know. Just pointing out the sound sig has that fun sound that Denon is known for all these years. Still prefer the Foster built sound slightly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread