Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 475

post #7111 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Punit, I'll weigh in with my $ 0.02. The XC has the best midrange that I've heard (I'm not including my stat HPs). The 900 is more the fun can with deep bass and lovely highs which are not sibilant but the midrange is comparatively lacking. IMO, the XCs are more natural sounding. 

These are my thoughts too.  The XC can make your arm hairs curl with acoustic stuff like Avett Bros and Punch Bros.  

To my ears the HE-6 are in the middle.    

If I was to keep only one and have a proper amp it might be the HE-6 ,but if I could choose 2 it would be the TH-900 and XC.

I may try someday a speaker amp but I can't imagine them being better than the Master-9.

post #7112 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguitarnut View Post
I may try someday a speaker amp but I can't imagine them being better than the Master-9.

If you inquire in the HE 6 thread you will find some people who have compared the Master series to Speaker amps & then have shifted.

post #7113 of 14931

I know.  

I'm pretending to not have read it.  Ignorance is bliss.     I don't want another amp for just one headphone LOL.

post #7114 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

you can always get a balanced to SE adapter :confused_face_2:

Which reminds me.................I have one that I should sell since I have no balanced amps and no intention of going that route.  It came with my TH900 which originally was XLR.

 

What is something like that worth?  Any ideas? 

post #7115 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Which reminds me.................I have one that I should sell since I have no balanced amps and no intention of going that route.  It came with my TH900 which originally was XLR.

What is something like that worth?  Any ideas? 

Picture?
post #7116 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post


Picture?

post #7117 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Do you know what the cable is? Looks fairly generic. I wouldn't want to say what it's worth, but I will say it's not going to be much.
post #7118 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post



Wow pretty long! And nice color.
If is mogami you can probaly get around $30 I guess. If its cardas prob $50?

I had mine made by plussound but it was xlr to rsa for $100.
post #7119 of 14931
Left : one I made. Ugly but works,
Middle : cutout cable from my old d700
Right : from plussound
post #7120 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Do you know what the cable is? Looks fairly generic. I wouldn't want to say what it's worth, but I will say it's not going to be much.

 

Ah, but it's red. You could put a Light Harmonic sticker on and sell it for $999 =P

post #7121 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Left : one I made. Ugly but works,
Middle : cutout cable from my old d700
Right : from plussound

your diy one doesn't look bad at all. and i also have one made from the end of my D7000 cable, which i shortened. to be honest, it's probably the best pigtail i own - denon uses the same 7N OCC wire that the th900 uses. not many aftermarket cables are going to be that high quality.

post #7122 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post

you can always get a balanced to SE adapter confused_face_2.gif
Yeah I know. I'm just lazy.
post #7123 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

 

your diy one doesn't look bad at all. and i also have one made from the end of my D7000 cable, which i shortened. to be honest, it's probably the best pigtail i own - denon uses the same 7N OCC wire that the th900 uses. not many aftermarket cables are going to be that high quality.


Ya Denons and Fostex have good cables, you can get the DIY bulk wire 7N grade UP OCC at Plussound for about $1 a feet.

You will need at least 3 to 4 strands so that will cost about $4 + furutech 1/4 ($18) + 4 pin xlr ($6). well under $30 :)  Same grade as Denon/Fostex.

 

All aftermarket interconnects are huge rip off, ALO sells rsa to rsa $129 ? or any SE around $200. so you can save money there by doing diy cables :)

post #7124 of 14931
You guys mod the TH900 to balance version? Will there any benefits gained as high impedance headphones?

Does the balance mod improves the midrange of TH900? smily_headphones1.gif
post #7125 of 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


Yeah I know. I'm just lazy.


Just do it. The TH900 mids really benefit from a good tube amp, which I am willing to bet your ZD will be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread