or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 472

post #7066 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

I didn't like mine till I bought alpha pads for them. It made a huge difference. The stock pads sucked, much too shallow.

Hmmm.that is weird. I had alpha pads for d7k and it made everthying worst.
Sound stage was deeper but everthing else was just degraded.

Not saying d2k is a bad headphone, its a great cans. But d7k is way better even twice the price of d2k.
post #7067 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post


Hmmm.that is weird. I had alpha pads for d7k and it made everthying worst.
Sound stage was deeper but everthing else was just degraded.

Not saying d2k is a bad headphone, its a great cans. But d7k is way better even twice the price of d2k.

 

You have to play around with the angle of the alpha pads to get them just right for a good seal around your head/ears. It took me some time/experimenting to get it just right. Very clear improvement to bass and soundstage, it really sounds like a subwoofer is in the drivers now.

 

I've never heard the D7000, but I'm sure it's excellent as that is what everyone seems to think.


Edited by TWerk - 5/20/14 at 1:51pm
post #7068 of 14504
I have the D2000 and TH900. The "Denons" are a little more forward in the mids and that is about the only point I would say that competes with the TH900. With the TH900 treble is better, bass is better, soundstage is better, imaging is better and detail is better. If I lost my TH900 and someone gave me $1200... I'd be getting another pair.
post #7069 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

I have the D2000 and TH900. The "Denons" are a little more forward in the mids and that is about the only point I would say that competes with the TH900. With the TH900 treble is better, bass is better, soundstage is better, imaging is better and detail is better. If I lost my TH900 and someone gave me $1200... I'd be getting another pair.

 

Haha, that answers things pretty clearly. 

 

Why keep the D2000, then, only for mids?

post #7070 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

Haha, that answers things pretty clearly. 

Why keep the D2000, then, only for mids?
LOL, because my D2000 is my "everday" headphone. I baby my TH900 and keep it in it's box when not in use. The D2000 is just left on my desk and is always around to just plug in and go. Strange as it sounds I reserve my TH900 for more special occasions. biggrin.gif
post #7071 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Hmmm.that is weird. I had alpha pads for d7k and it made everthying worst.
Sound stage was deeper but everthing else was just degraded.

Not saying d2k is a bad headphone, its a great cans. But d7k is way better even twice the price of d2k.
Same experience with the alpha pads in d7000. Awful.

I haven't received my th900 yet. But will definitely do a comparison between the d7000 and the th900. I REALLY like the d7000 so it'll be interesting to hear the th900.

Question: have people found a significant difference between running them balanced vs. single ended? I'm going to shorten the cable and am wondering whether I should put a balanced plug or SE plug. They are easy to drive so I don't think they benefit from the increase in power from a balanced port, but maybe someone can convince me otherwise.
post #7072 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post


LOL, because my D2000 is my "everday" headphone. I baby my TH900 and keep it in it's box when not in use. The D2000 is just left on my desk and is always around to just plug in and go. Strange as it sounds I reserve my TH900 for more special occasions. biggrin.gif

 

I can understand that. It's nice to own sub 300 dollars phones because if anything happens or you nick them, it's not the end of the world. Having said that, if I had TH-900, I think I'd want to get MAX use out of it, considering it cost me a grand :)

post #7073 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Does anyone NOT feel these are worth the $1200? Is the price fair? Just wondering cause it's really quite high. The TH-600 at $600 is significantly cheaper.

As of now, I'd buy them again for the $1400 I paid! They really are awesome. I just am not a huge fan of the ear pads, my ears are pretty big and pretty much get squished by the stock pads. The Lawton ones should be great as they have a few mm's more room.

post #7074 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


My D2000 Cocobolo Rosewood cups...................and yet I'd never touch the Fostex cups.  Though if you/I did we could sell them for likely the same amount as the customs would cost.  I've sold D5000 cups for $100 that I had six people lined up to buy - sold them too cheap, obviously.

 

And guys, the Lawton mods on the TH900 are an improvement, believe it or not. 

 

 

they're beautiful cups, no doubt.

 

still, i find the red lacquer urushi to be more aesthetically pleasing...i own a bunch of fine japanese lacquerware so appreciate the beauty of that kind of artisanship.  

post #7075 of 14504

Anyone in Illinois? I'd travel to just hear the TH-900. Or anyone know any store that might have it for demo?

post #7076 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

Anyone in Illinois? I'd travel to just hear the TH-900. Or anyone know any store that might have it for demo?

fostex dealers in illinois

 

http://www.fostex.com/usa/dealer_popup/Illinois.html

post #7077 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

I have the D2000 and TH900. The "Denons" are a little more forward in the mids and that is about the only point I would say that competes with the TH900. With the TH900 treble is better, bass is better, soundstage is better, imaging is better and detail is better. If I lost my TH900 and someone gave me $1200... I'd be getting another pair.

 

+++1

post #7078 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernment View Post

So after a week or so with my 900's, I can't say how much I love them overall. I've found they can be overdriven and the bass to made sound floppy and muddy but as long as they are kept in their limits, they are simply amazing. I do wish the headband was a bit tighter though.

you wearing these while operating a jackhammer? seriously tho i find this hard to believe unless you're driving them to ear splitting levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

they're beautiful cups, no doubt.

still, i find the red lacquer urushi to be more aesthetically pleasing...appreciate the beauty of that kind of artisanship.

x2
post #7079 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post


you wearing these while operating a jackhammer? seriously tho i find this hard to believe unless you're driving them to ear splitting levels.
x2

 

Well, you can believe what you will. It's loud but not crazy loud, you can clearly hear the point when the bass starts to loose control and gets loose and boomy. Like I said before, it happens more in games than music. Explosions, loud gunfire etc will case the hard bass to sound like the driver is working to hard.

post #7080 of 14504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

That is a long long cable. Stock? I trimmed mine.

It's actually a 4' D5000 cable on the D2000. What you see is a D7000 extension cable made when I switched it to Q French Silk.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread