or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 467

post #6991 of 14500

The drivers are said to require some time to loosen up, but I reckon what you're really burning-in is the cable. At the end of the day, beyond the 30-40hr mark, it's just a matter of brain burn-in.

post #6992 of 14500

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

 

For around $2000 for the Burson Conductor and Lynx Hilo, they are over twice what I can spend right now. The other ones are still a little too big for my liking (space is an issue for me).

 

Is there anything besides the Fostex HP-A8C, in that price range (< $ 800), that I should know of? Remember, this is to be paired with a laptop, so it needs to have some kind of USB connection.

 

I'm mainly looking for the best bang-for-the-buck DAC+AMP, not one of those thousands of dollars audio machines with the latest fusion reactor or warp drive.


Edited by 1c3d0g - 5/15/14 at 8:34pm
post #6993 of 14500
I am leaning towards oppo ha1, it has everthing that I need.
Dac
SE output
Balance output
Sabre chip
Dsd support
Ipod connection
Under $1200

Awesome spec. I have to read more review on this.
post #6994 of 14500

Wait. You can get a HP-A8C for < $800?!

Was there a price drop recently? If that's the case then go for it. Much better deal than the $1500 it used to be at, plus I reckon you can offload it without much (or any) loss if it's not to your liking.

post #6995 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post
 

 

So this is my second day with these bad boys.  They really shine with the Burson Conductor.  I've A/B'd with all my other phones (HE-500, HD-600, T1, HD-800) and these are standing up to the competition.  I'd like to give myself a chance to fully acclimate before drawing any real conclusions because I know I'm still in the honeymoon (read: new toy) phase.

 

This might have been discussed earlier in the thread, but are the th900s known to have any real (not psycho-acoustic) burn in period?  What's the prevailing thought on this?

I've been into Home Theater for a very long time, I'm personal friends with driver designers who design some of the baddest subs on the planet and have been in the audio game for a few years. Break in is a crock, you adjust to the sound, not the other way around. 

There will be some that don't agree with that and thats fine, not trying to start a big debate, just personal real world experience. 

post #6996 of 14500
^^ I respectfully disagree. I feel some items i've owned have had a more dramatic change over time than others, but keep in mind that there are many things that change during the initial period of using it; timber cups, the stiffness of the pads, the fibres of the driver etc. I do 90% of my burn in with the headphones off my head. So how is my brain suddenly noticing a change after 40hrs of burn-in? Would it not have noticed the same change if i put the headphones on at the beginning, took them off immediately and then put them on 5 mins later? Why did the extra 40hrs of time away from the headphones make a difference? In my experience, i have noticed the effects of burn-in, ymmv.
post #6997 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c3d0g View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

For around $2000 for the Burson Conductor and Lynx Hilo, they are over twice what I can spend right now. The other ones are still a little too big for my liking (space is an issue for me).

Is there anything besides the Fostex HP-A8C, in that price range (< $ 800), that I should know of? Remember, this is to be paired with a laptop, so it needs to have some kind of USB connection.

I'm mainly looking for the best bang-for-the-buck DAC+AMP, not one of those thousands of dollars audio machines with the latest fusion reactor or warp drive.

The Centrance Hifi-M8 is getting great reviews at $699. Said to rival desktop amps. I have one on order so can't comment further.
Edited by vlach - 5/15/14 at 10:19pm
post #6998 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

^^ I respectfully disagree. I feel some items i've owned have had a more dramatic change over time than others, but keep in mind that there are many things that change during the initial period of using it; timber cups, the stiffness of the pads, the fibres of the driver etc. I do 90% of my burn in with the headphones off my head. So how is my brain suddenly noticing a change after 40hrs of burn-in? Would it not have noticed the same change if i put the headphones on at the beginning, took them off immediately and then put them on 5 mins later? Why did the extra 40hrs of time away from the headphones make a difference? In my experience, i have noticed the effects of burn-in, ymmv.

+1 My Calyx dac has taken for ever to burn-in, but now you wouldn't even think it's the same dac, when I first got it I was close to selling it because of the icepicks in my ears, it took 1000+ hours to smooth the top-end out and is still getting better in all areas


Edited by Gandah - 5/15/14 at 11:48pm
post #6999 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c3d0g View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

I'm planning to purchase a TH900 in the coming months. I would also like a small AMP + DAC to go with it (I will be using it with a laptop). I would need the following specs:

 

1. Solid State

2. USB connection

3. AMP + DAC preferably, unless someone says an amp alone makes more of a difference

4. around $500-800 ish

 

Obviously I would prefer a mobile, portable amp (for the battery benefits), BUT I will consider a desktop amp too.

 

a new dac/amp that meets all your criteria: iFi's micro iDSD, which should be available sometime in july. the specs look pretty awesome and it should retail for around $500. don't know how it will sound compared to the others on your list, but just one more to think about.

post #7000 of 14500

i couldn't resist...i found a brand new pair at a great price and so have one ordered. hopefully it will arrive sometime within the next week. i have too many headphones now and hope to sell a few of them...at first i thought i'd be happy with my hd800/d7000/woody sr225 setup...but then others said that if i loved the d7000 (which i do), i'd REALLY love the th900. i'm interested to see how the two compare.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

I am leaning towards oppo ha1, it has everthing that I need.
Dac
SE output
Balance output
Sabre chip
Dsd support
Ipod connection
Under $1200

Awesome spec. I have to read more review on this.

i hadn't heard of the ha1 so thanks for alerting me to this. i've been looking at the ragnarok or the auralic taurus mk2 as my "end game" amps but the ha1 looks pretty good on paper. i have a geek pulse x on order that has a bunch of the above criteria met as well, so it'll be interesting to see how the geek pulse x sounds. i'm honestly not that optimistic about its performance...but hopefully at least the DAC part will be stellar. i'll keep my eye out for impressions/reviews of the ha1. if it can properly drive the hd800, that would be very interesting indeed.

post #7001 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernment View Post

 

 

I also think it's cool that I bought some alpha dogs because I wanted a closed phone, they were ok, I just didn't get a sense of WOW ever with them. I've read people praising their bass..... I can only laugh to myself now, they really haven't heard the 900's because they blow them away and thats putting it lightly.

 

that's exactly the feeling i had with my ADs before i eventually sold them. they were fine, but didn't wow me, and i always reached for my d7000 more than the ADs. the d7000 did almost everything better than the ADs, IMO, except for isolation. the ADs isolate very well. but they're heavier, have anemic bass, and have that slightly shrill treble (mine didn't have the doggy treats installed). i love the d7000, which is why i decided to get a pair of th900 - to see if they are indeed the d7000, only more refined.

post #7002 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post

You mean the better options at that price point? Well, there are many. The Fostex HP-A8 is better with the TH900, to my ears. Some say it's even better now with the newest firmware. The Burson Conductor with PCM1793 DAC and CM6631A USB Module is also a very good all-in-one pairing (ditto the Conductor SL or older HA-160D), though the presentation might be too bottom-heavy for some people. If you're after musicality rather than ultimate resolution and don't need 24/192 or DSD, I reckon you could do well with a modest USB-powered DAC like the Halide coupled with a DIY opamp-tube hybrid amp like the Project Starlight. Not exactly all-in-one, but you only need one power-socket.

I didn't say the Mytek was bad, btw. It's just got a certain signature that you'll either love or loathe. For my tastes it's a bit too metallic (just a bit, not terrible like the tetanus induced by Benchmark DACs), but others might like it. Best to try for yourself.

 

 

Interesting options ... thanks for elaborating.  Agreed,  the Burson stuff is no slouch.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

I am leaning towards oppo ha1, it has everthing that I need.
Dac
SE output
Balance output
Sabre chip
Dsd support
Ipod connection
Under $1200

Awesome spec. I have to read more review on this.

 

 

Sounds interesting also,  provided they have implemented that Sabre chip properly.  The Sabre chip seems to be a tough beast to tame by some manufacturers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurochin View Post
 

Wait. You can get a HP-A8C for < $800?!

Was there a price drop recently? If that's the case then go for it. Much better deal than the $1500 it used to be at, plus I reckon you can offload it without much (or any) loss if it's not to your liking.

 

 

Perhaps he means used ?

post #7003 of 14500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

i couldn't resist...i found a brand new pair at a great price and so have one ordered. hopefully it will arrive sometime within the next week. i have too many headphones now and hope to sell a few of them...at first i thought i'd be happy with my hd800/d7000/woody sr225 setup...but then others said that if i loved the d7000 (which i do), i'd REALLY love the th900. i'm interested to see how the two compare.

 

 

i hadn't heard of the ha1 so thanks for alerting me to this. i've been looking at the ragnarok or the auralic taurus mk2 as my "end game" amps but the ha1 looks pretty good on paper. i have a geek pulse x on order that has a bunch of the above criteria met as well, so it'll be interesting to see how the geek pulse x sounds. i'm honestly not that optimistic about its performance...but hopefully at least the DAC part will be stellar. i'll keep my eye out for impressions/reviews of the ha1. if it can properly drive the hd800, that would be very interesting indeed.


Congrats .... you should really enjoy them.

post #7004 of 14500

Congratulations Kugino ! you wanted TH900 for a long time :)

 

Once you get it let me know your view against D7000 vs TH900

For me, TH900 is better in evenrything except the mids.

post #7005 of 14500

Last time I checked on HP-A8C was $1500. Where do you see $800 ? for that price I will get the Fostex instead of Lynx or Oppo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread