- 101 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 1:11 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Paradox Slants as EndGame HP over everything else Last post on 9/12/14 at 12:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900 as capable for low volume listening and PRAT than a RS1 ? Last post on 8/3/14 at 8:18am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 448post #6706 of 79413/31/14 at 6:18amCan't beat the protein
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6707 of 79413/31/14 at 6:33amQuote:Originally Posted by DenonBeaver
I tried the lawton angle pads on my 900s and was back to the stock pads within a day. The lawton pads create more space between your ears and the drivers which can create in increased sense of soundstage the drawback is you lose the intimacy that the 900s are so great at. It felt like I was 10 rows back from the music while the stock pads put me on the stage with the musicians. Additionally, the stock pads seem to be of much higher quality leather.
I completely agree with your observation, but you probably knew that already.... I have tried the Audeze LCD-3 and the Stax SR-002 pads. Through the Audeze LCD-3 leather pads the sound became more spacious, but also less precise in terms of imaging (more fuzzy sounding). However, the major problem with these pads is that they accentuate the 'hole in the middle'. The midrange was more recessed, and sounded a bit cave like (e.g like from very far away) and hollow. The hollow sound it created made it a definitive no-way. The Stax SR-002 pads did not accentuate the 'hole in the middle' hollow sound of the Audeze, at least not to that extent. But, I found the treble was less pronounced, and bass had a bit less impact and was less defined. Next, airiness is reduced, and the midrange is less clear and dynamic.
I will stick to the original pads. I am more and more convinced that the Fostex TH-900 is a very carefully designed and voiced headphone. Changing pads change their voicing more than I expected, and they lose a bit of their character. You can increase soundstage depth and spaciousness by changing pads, but you lose impact, dynamics, clear imaging and midrange presence. To me it is clear. I like their voicing with the original pads best. It is just a well balanced sound.post #6708 of 79414/1/14 at 3:10pmpost #6709 of 79414/2/14 at 6:57am
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.post #6710 of 79414/2/14 at 7:01ampost #6711 of 79414/2/14 at 7:07am
Don't get me wrong. I love the stock TH900's but since I can afford Abyss or STAX cans I want to improve the TH900's as much as possible. The process can be reversed if necessary but I don't believe that will need to be done.post #6712 of 79414/2/14 at 5:35pmpost #6713 of 79414/2/14 at 6:32pmQuote:
1 year warranty has already passed. I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the snide remarks be kept to yourself, thank you very much!
Edited by germay0653 - 4/2/14 at 6:34pmpost #6714 of 79414/2/14 at 11:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by germay0653
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.
Please do post some impressions , I am also looking at re-cable options.post #6715 of 79414/3/14 at 3:36ampost #6716 of 79414/3/14 at 4:33amQuote:
My Th900 has Q French Silk cable on it. Talk about light and flexible........got the headphones like this from Greed but liked it so much over the stock monster that I put the same cable on my D7000's. BTG Audio did the install. I noticed no change in sound.post #6717 of 79414/3/14 at 4:35ampost #6718 of 79414/4/14 at 8:29pm
The gray cable looks great with those--I have the same color Q cable for my LCD-Xs. (And a nice LED flashlight is a great addition to any headphone rig, if you like to listen and tinker in the dark.post #6719 of 79414/4/14 at 10:36pmpost #6720 of 79414/5/14 at 12:42pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock... 43 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Portable Setup <$600 for Grado-Head? 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)