- 101 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 7:45 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- TH900 for sale Last post on 8/6/14 at 12:26pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- What Happened to Head-Fi? (Rant) Last post on 6/19/14 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 448post #6706 of 77853/31/14 at 6:18amCan't beat the protein
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6707 of 77853/31/14 at 6:33amQuote:Originally Posted by DenonBeaver
I tried the lawton angle pads on my 900s and was back to the stock pads within a day. The lawton pads create more space between your ears and the drivers which can create in increased sense of soundstage the drawback is you lose the intimacy that the 900s are so great at. It felt like I was 10 rows back from the music while the stock pads put me on the stage with the musicians. Additionally, the stock pads seem to be of much higher quality leather.
I completely agree with your observation, but you probably knew that already.... I have tried the Audeze LCD-3 and the Stax SR-002 pads. Through the Audeze LCD-3 leather pads the sound became more spacious, but also less precise in terms of imaging (more fuzzy sounding). However, the major problem with these pads is that they accentuate the 'hole in the middle'. The midrange was more recessed, and sounded a bit cave like (e.g like from very far away) and hollow. The hollow sound it created made it a definitive no-way. The Stax SR-002 pads did not accentuate the 'hole in the middle' hollow sound of the Audeze, at least not to that extent. But, I found the treble was less pronounced, and bass had a bit less impact and was less defined. Next, airiness is reduced, and the midrange is less clear and dynamic.
I will stick to the original pads. I am more and more convinced that the Fostex TH-900 is a very carefully designed and voiced headphone. Changing pads change their voicing more than I expected, and they lose a bit of their character. You can increase soundstage depth and spaciousness by changing pads, but you lose impact, dynamics, clear imaging and midrange presence. To me it is clear. I like their voicing with the original pads best. It is just a well balanced sound.post #6708 of 77854/1/14 at 3:10pmpost #6709 of 77854/2/14 at 6:57am
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.post #6710 of 77854/2/14 at 7:01ampost #6711 of 77854/2/14 at 7:07am
Don't get me wrong. I love the stock TH900's but since I can afford Abyss or STAX cans I want to improve the TH900's as much as possible. The process can be reversed if necessary but I don't believe that will need to be done.post #6712 of 77854/2/14 at 5:35pmpost #6713 of 77854/2/14 at 6:32pmQuote:
1 year warranty has already passed. I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the snide remarks be kept to yourself, thank you very much!
Edited by germay0653 - 4/2/14 at 6:34pmpost #6714 of 77854/2/14 at 11:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by germay0653
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.
Please do post some impressions , I am also looking at re-cable options.post #6715 of 77854/3/14 at 3:36ampost #6716 of 77854/3/14 at 4:33amQuote:
My Th900 has Q French Silk cable on it. Talk about light and flexible........got the headphones like this from Greed but liked it so much over the stock monster that I put the same cable on my D7000's. BTG Audio did the install. I noticed no change in sound.post #6717 of 77854/3/14 at 4:35ampost #6718 of 77854/4/14 at 8:29pm
The gray cable looks great with those--I have the same color Q cable for my LCD-Xs. (And a nice LED flashlight is a great addition to any headphone rig, if you like to listen and tinker in the dark.post #6719 of 77854/4/14 at 10:36pmpost #6720 of 77854/5/14 at 12:42pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 18 seconds ago
- › WTT for TH600 ! 27 seconds ago
- › Changed the ear pads on my DT 990 Beyer Pro and noticed something... 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD-X in MINT Condition and less than 2-weeks old. 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 vs Fiio X5: A matter of sound... 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)