- 101 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 2:46 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Which headphones at up to $2000 budget? Last post on Today at 1:02 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Takato's Giant Wanted Ad Last post on Yesterday at 8:13 pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 448post #6706 of 82313/31/14 at 6:18amCan't beat the protein
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6707 of 82313/31/14 at 6:33amQuote:Originally Posted by DenonBeaver
I tried the lawton angle pads on my 900s and was back to the stock pads within a day. The lawton pads create more space between your ears and the drivers which can create in increased sense of soundstage the drawback is you lose the intimacy that the 900s are so great at. It felt like I was 10 rows back from the music while the stock pads put me on the stage with the musicians. Additionally, the stock pads seem to be of much higher quality leather.
I completely agree with your observation, but you probably knew that already.... I have tried the Audeze LCD-3 and the Stax SR-002 pads. Through the Audeze LCD-3 leather pads the sound became more spacious, but also less precise in terms of imaging (more fuzzy sounding). However, the major problem with these pads is that they accentuate the 'hole in the middle'. The midrange was more recessed, and sounded a bit cave like (e.g like from very far away) and hollow. The hollow sound it created made it a definitive no-way. The Stax SR-002 pads did not accentuate the 'hole in the middle' hollow sound of the Audeze, at least not to that extent. But, I found the treble was less pronounced, and bass had a bit less impact and was less defined. Next, airiness is reduced, and the midrange is less clear and dynamic.
I will stick to the original pads. I am more and more convinced that the Fostex TH-900 is a very carefully designed and voiced headphone. Changing pads change their voicing more than I expected, and they lose a bit of their character. You can increase soundstage depth and spaciousness by changing pads, but you lose impact, dynamics, clear imaging and midrange presence. To me it is clear. I like their voicing with the original pads best. It is just a well balanced sound.post #6708 of 82314/1/14 at 3:10pmpost #6709 of 82314/2/14 at 6:57am
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.post #6710 of 82314/2/14 at 7:01ampost #6711 of 82314/2/14 at 7:07am
Don't get me wrong. I love the stock TH900's but since I can afford Abyss or STAX cans I want to improve the TH900's as much as possible. The process can be reversed if necessary but I don't believe that will need to be done.post #6712 of 82314/2/14 at 5:35pmpost #6713 of 82314/2/14 at 6:32pmQuote:
1 year warranty has already passed. I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the snide remarks be kept to yourself, thank you very much!
Edited by germay0653 - 4/2/14 at 6:34pmpost #6714 of 82314/2/14 at 11:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by germay0653
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables. I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900. Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this. I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.
Please do post some impressions , I am also looking at re-cable options.post #6715 of 82314/3/14 at 3:36ampost #6716 of 82314/3/14 at 4:33amQuote:
My Th900 has Q French Silk cable on it. Talk about light and flexible........got the headphones like this from Greed but liked it so much over the stock monster that I put the same cable on my D7000's. BTG Audio did the install. I noticed no change in sound.post #6717 of 82314/3/14 at 4:35ampost #6718 of 82314/4/14 at 8:29pm
The gray cable looks great with those--I have the same color Q cable for my LCD-Xs. (And a nice LED flashlight is a great addition to any headphone rig, if you like to listen and tinker in the dark.post #6719 of 82314/4/14 at 10:36pmpost #6720 of 82314/5/14 at 12:42pm
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced 5 seconds ago
- › Good headphones for gaming 24 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears 29 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 2 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 3 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 3 minutes ago
- › First Post! Looking to get my feet wet in PC audio 4 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)